Epoxy recoil lug?

alinwa

oft dis'd member
The thread on welding got me thinking.

Has anyone here ever epoxied a lug to the action face?

I will.

My bet is that it will shoot loose quickly.

Shrink fit(Interference fit) maybe like they do with bearings on a shaft?

I already do interference fit in the sense that I sometimes have to hold the recoil lug in my warm hand to get it onto the barrel in my cold shop, but the logistics of shrink fit do not work for my application..... affixing the recoil lug to the barrel WILL NOT and CANNOT work for me. The barrel absolutely must spin inside the lug.

It may be time for a br family intervention. Lol!

I build big rifles.

I've had some of the problems Dan Armstrong talks about.

I currently have my action wrenches customized to guide the lug and it works..... within a few thou.

I am looking for something better than pins.

I build big rifles.

I've had some of the problems Dan Armstrong talks about.

I currently have my action wrenches customized to guide the lug and it works..... within a few thou.

I am looking for something better than pins.

I must not be understanding the question, or something. The lug is sandwiched between the barrel and action whether it be pinned, glued or welded, unless you're talking about repositioning a lug elsewhere on the barreled action, in which case I'd say epoxy is very insufficient.

alinwa,
A longitudinal,drafted lug will tame the thumpers as does a couple 1/8" pins to PIN a scope rail to a receiver that doesn't incorporate integral lug(s).... aka tool/die procedures.

alinwa,
A longitudinal,drafted lug will tame the thumpers as does a couple 1/8" pins to PIN a scope rail to a receiver that doesn't incorporate integral lug(s).... aka tool/die procedures.

Dan,

Do you have a picture of a drafted longitudinal recoil lug?

Alinwa
Take a look at the gunwerks action they came out with, they keyed the lug to the action face with raised/recessed portions of the lug and action face that interlocked. It looks like that wiuld be ideal for keeping a lug from turning if machined properly.

Alinwa
Take a look at the gunwerks action they came out with, they keyed the lug to the action face with raised/recessed portions of the lug and action face that interlocked. It looks like that wiuld be ideal for keeping a lug from turning if machined properly.

I checked it out... that works nicely.

Back