Eliseo tube rifle shooters

338lm

Are you guys that are shooting Eliseo tube guns bonding and bolting your action into the action sleeve or are you just slipping the action in and bolting it in without any bonding material?

Last edited:
How difficult is it to get Hysol? Is it available for purchase? If it is do you or Jim know where to purchase it from? Thanks for the info.

Tube Gun Glue In - KISS Principle

Gee - let's not get over complicated on the use of adhesives - with the amount of surface area of the action in the sleeve you could probably use Elmer's glue and be fine - go to your local auto parts store and buy some JB Weld epoxy and glue your tube gun together with it, then clean up the excess with water and Q-tips before it cures - Done!

I have glued in 5 tube guns over the years with JB Weld and don't use recoil lugs on them and they are all 100%.

Robert Whitley

Last edited by a moderator:
More generally (he said, hijacking the thread), what temperature does it let go at? I'm thinking of Stiller's Viper action, where he wants any adhesive used to glue the action to a stock to let go at as low a temp as possible, around 200F?

TIA

A couple of things more to be aware of: Since the article was written, the procedure has changed slightly, Jim now sets the action in the tube so that the face of the receiver is 0.020" ahead of the sleeve surface. Since we don't use the recoil lug/disc there isn't an issue with that and the slight protrusion may make rebarelling simpler is some instances. Also, in instances where the barelled action already has the lug and is now being glued-in, leaving that small gap prevents any binding or odd vibrations that could result if the lug was somehow not bearing evenly as a result of the bonding.

So you are definitely advising me not to glue the action in with the recoil disc contacting the front face of the sleeve. I should make sure and leave .020" between them. Should I leave air in between them or put bonding material between them in that .020" space? Unfortunately my action has the recoil disc machined integrally to the action (not a separate recoil disc) so I can't glue the action in without a recoil disc. Thanks for the info everyone. I really appreciate it.

What use is the recoil disc in these tube guns? I understand how it works in a normal wood or fibreglass stock bedding, but not in something that is an all aluminum stock.
I have just recently read about these tube guns and am trying to learn more about them.
Fred

German,
If, before barreling, one knew that the plan was to glue in the action, why would you even bother with a lug, except possibly as a temporary fixture during gluing, to help accurately locate the action until the glue set?
Boyd

With Gary Eliseo's tube stocks you are suppose to be able to just slip the action in the sleeve and screw it down without having to glue it in. If you were to install your action this way you would probably want to make use of the recoil disc that comes with the stock.
Has anybody here just screwed an action in and shot it? Good or bad results?

German,
Do you have photos posted of how the front tube and stock attach to these actions. I have a sleeve that I started on a long time ago, for an XP-100 action. Unfortunately I cut half an octagon-top and left, right angles and 2 flats. I have excess material in front, but the back extends about half way through the trigger cut out. I am trying to see how it could be saved for tube action, but I don't think that I have enough material.:>(
Fred

German,
I had looked at some of the rifles on both sites, but had missed seeing some details. I looked again at the one you posted and I was able to answer some of my questions.
Questions for you-
1) The stock slides on and you twist it and then tighten the locking screw.
2) The front tube is held by what look like button head allen screws and slides onto the rifle sleeve. I assume that it is a tight slide on fit.
3) Is there any other point of support for that front tube? I know that you guys can put a lot of pressure on you slings. What keeps it from bending or leaning and affecting the barrel?
Anybody shooting one down in Miami?
Thanks for the help!
Fred

German,
Thanks for the reply. I have tried to thank you on two other occassions and for some reason it has not gone up on the website.
Regards,
Fred

Back