Eezox as a Bore Cleaner?

I'm not familiar with the product you ask about. Rim Fire barrels are different than CF barrels. In rim fire we worry about wax, carbon build up at the CL ring and avoiding any damage to the lands. Rim fire proven solvents are what you should use so you don't remove ALL the wax build up from the bore. To do so means you have to re-season wax into the barrel before it will come back. We need to keep them clean but not over-clean them.

Me I'm a big fan of Rim Fire blend as a solvent, cut 50% with Marvel Mystery Oil. I also use Remington 40X bore cleaner on a patch sparingly on the chamber,never the bore itself. Lightly clean the bore after every 25 bull card and sparingly clean the chamber when it needs it. For me that is every 250-300 rounds.

My barrel cleaning procedure is one dry patch followed by three strokes out and back with a new bronze brush then dry the bore with 2 or 3 dry patches. No scrubbing with the patches or brush. Scrubbing a rim fire bore probably does more damage than anything else to the barrel. I throw the brush away after shooting maybe a brick.....you can feel when it is getting worn out. bob

Cleaning a rimfire barrel

Cleaning a rimfire barrel is a lot like washing and perhaps waxing a car. Needless to say, folks do it differently here and there and use different products in different ways. The bottom line is that the rifle shoots well and keeps shooting well in relation to cleaning the barrel. There's probably millions of ways to do this and nobody knows an exact answer. My answer to the question would be to first determine if there's anything involved that will "coat" the metal and become a problem. If not, then just try it! Let us know how it worked!!

I'm not familiar with the product you ask about. Rim Fire barrels are different than CF barrels. In rim fire we worry about wax, carbon build up at the CL ring and avoiding any damage to the lands. Rim fire proven solvents are what you should use so you don't remove ALL the wax build up from the bore. To do so means you have to re-season wax into the barrel before it will come back. We need to keep them clean but not over-clean them.

Me I'm a big fan of Rim Fire blend as a solvent, cut 50% with Marvel Mystery Oil. I also use Remington 40X bore cleaner on a patch sparingly on the chamber,never the bore itself. Lightly clean the bore after every 25 bull card and sparingly clean the chamber when it needs it. For me that is every 250-300 rounds.

My barrel cleaning procedure is one dry patch followed by three strokes out and back with a new bronze brush then dry the bore with 2 or 3 dry patches. No scrubbing with the patches or brush. Scrubbing a rim fire bore probably does more damage than anything else to the barrel. I throw the brush away after shooting maybe a brick.....you can feel when it is getting worn out. bob

Exactly how do we avoid carbon build up on that there CL ring Bob?

Tim: I don't know that it can be avoided. That is why I try to keep it under control. I used to use Iosso paste and a nylon brush. That is a messy job and Iosso might be a tad bit too aggressive.

Every barrel I have builds the carbon ring at a different rate. I let the rifle tell me when it needs to be given some attention. Let it go unattended too long and accuracy will fall off. When that happens you waited too long. bob

Tim: I don't know that it can be avoided. That is why I try to keep it under control. I used to use Iosso paste and a nylon brush. That is a messy job and Iosso might be a tad bit too aggressive.

Every barrel I have builds the carbon ring at a different rate. I let the rifle tell me when it needs to be given some attention. Let it go unattended too long and accuracy will fall off. When that happens you waited too long. bob

Here's a tip for you, after a few cards, start to check it with a bore scope. Before it builds, get at it and note how many cards it went as a baseline. It should never bother you again.
If you've properly broken in your chamber, it likely will never bother you in the first place.
Like the gunsmith once said, " I can repeat clean".

Back