Ed watson

phil pommie

As i remeber when i first started shootig in america, Eddie Watson was producing bullets at 62,65, and 68 grain bullets in 6mm cal.

Does anybody remember what jackets he used for for the repective wieghts

phil

Ed made bullets on both Sierra and J-4 jackets using standard lengths. The shorter jacket was used for the 62-63 grainers and the longer for 65-68 deals. Perhaps somebody can offer the standard lengths of each as related to the time frame.

Ed made a 65gr bullet on the short jacket (.750 length) also. Looking at a unopened box of them right now. I shot Ed's bullets exclussively for ten years. I have a few thousand left in 6mm and 22cal.

Hovis

Last edited:
ed watson

Ed made many weights on the 790 jacket the best was the 65 gr and 66 gr. He also made 68gr on the 825 jacket.
From my shooting them i can say the 65 gr were really special. Those were on the 790 jacket. Tiny holes at 200 yds , iIguess it was a magic die by Roschack. I bet his wife has more info on them for she always traved with Ed a really nice lady too. He is still missed .

like I said Bart owns the complete watson collection- talk to him. he is doing real well with them and they work good.

Ed made many weights on the 790 jacket the best was the 65 gr and 66 gr. He also made 68gr on the 825 jacket.
From my shooting them i can say the 65 gr were really special. Those were on the 790 jacket. Tiny holes at 200 yds , iIguess it was a magic die by Roschack. I bet his wife has more info on them for she always traved with Ed a really nice lady too. He is still missed .

Ed made a 65 on the .790 jacket but what he referred to as the "Shorts" or 65S was made on the .750 jackets.

Hovis

ed watson

The ones that i bought from ed were on the 790 . i bought them at canastota. I also have seen bullets made from a low of 62 to a high of 67 gr supposedly made by ed. They were advertized here after he left us,
Someone down in florida as i remember from the ad.
I think ed tried a bit of every thing until hr reached perfection,

All i know the 2000 hr made for me were on the 790 he had quite a few boxes for sale . They shot like the dickens at 200 . I won a match or two with them. When i asked ed for 2000 he went back to the motor home to get them later that day he asked how i did and i told him how well they shot. Good guys like this are really missed. Nell should know more.

Ed made a 65gr bullet on the short jacket (.750 length) also. Looking at a unopened box of them right now. I shot Ed's bullets exclussively for ten years. I have a few thousand left in 6mm and 22cal.

Hovis

Kev, I still have a 200 count box of the 65S made on 750 jackets. The box contains about 150 or so. I had taken a 15 twist Hart to the Super Shoot and that bullet was the only thing it would shoot, at 100, not worth crap at 200 though.

That year I had bought 4 Hart barrels from Jim Borden and he wanted me to try a 15. That 15 was a 3 groove and it took a 0,2384 bushing to chamber it. Jim and I were shooting adjacent benches that year so we played around with it for an agg or two.

I'm back on that 750 jacket kick. I'm having some bullets made on 750's in a Ross Sherman die that has about a 6.5 or so nose. GU is still trying to locate the old Jef Fowler Ross Sherman die that has a 6 ogive nose, It was last head of in Australia.

Back