Early Remingon Model 40 benchrest rifle?

Calfed

A few years back I glommed this rifle at an auction. It was described as a "custom" Remington rifle and it is surely that. What I would like to know is what exactly it is. It appears to to be a Remington 722 type action, but it shows no such marking under the Remington" stamping on the receiver rail.

2pmwbel.jpg

0rzRm0E.jpg

eZHbYrQ.jpg

Z4lDCpm.jpg

5GSOdzS.jpg

7PWVjWL.jpg

In trying to identify this rifle, I ran across this auction listing...

https://live.amoskeagauction.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/7/lot/996

It describes a "Custom Remington Model 40 X Bolt Action Rifle" , with serial number 7791 (only 31 off of mine)and "Built on an early 722-style action, the left side is not marked with the model". This sounds exactly like mine

So, I guess my question is the auction listing correct? Did early Remington model 40's come unmarked as to model? Is my rifle an early model 40?

My early 40X is on the 722 receiver, but it is marked 40X. I really can't make out much from your photos.

Yeah, I can't fathom why there is no model number on the receiver.

Are there any areas of the gun that I can post better pics of that might assist in ID'ing this rifle?

My 722 is marked like yours. I'm speaking of my 722 and not my 722 based 40-x. I believe yours is built on a 722. What are the marks on the Hart barrel? Is it an ADL style or a true solid bottom single shot.

My 722 is marked like yours. I'm speaking of my 722 and not my 722 based 40-x. I believe yours is built on a 722. What are the marks on the Hart barrel? Is it an ADL style or a true solid bottom single shot.

So yours also has no model markings on it, like mine?

7h1Qy36.jpg

Interesting all of the Model 722's I've seen are marked like this one

w5fQTft.jpg

the only marks on the bbl are these

epoXZQt.jpg

I'm not sure about the bottom...there is a shell slide in the action. Any way to follow up on this question?

AdIBqXH.jpg

Whoever put this together back in the day put a lot of work into it. I noticed that the Comb is adjustable about 3/4"

I02hE1J.jpg

Last edited:
OP,
Pull the Bbl'd action out of the stock since it is inlet so deep to ascertain if any model designation is stamped in the receiver.

Trigger lever w/ grooves(700) compared to smooth(722)lever & appears to have the 40X Repeater trigger group pull weight adjustment screw modification by the pic.

722/40X style Short straight/perpendicular round knob bolt handle w/ typical ding/divot/burr pushed up in handle extraction cam surface.

Clean it up & shoot it !!

You appear to have a 722 based custom with a Clyde Hart barrel, appears to also have a non factory stock, bottom metal is not factory I believe.

I'm not able to take the rifle out of the stock at this time, but I was looking over the trigger and found two additional screws behind the trigger blade. Including the one in front of the trigger blade, that makes three screws inside the trigger guard and possibly one in front of the trigger guard.

What kind of trigger is this?

WjlPLPf.jpg

When you do pull it out and inspect it.. ..should find an ID somewhere. I know I'm curious.

Mort

Last edited:
When you do pull it out and inspect it.. ..should find an ID somewhere. I know I'm curious.

Mort

I'll post anything else I find out about this rifle, Mort. I sent some pictures and an email to Hart Barrels and asked if they could identify the rifle. I know they are probably busy, but a few years ago, Jim Hart took a bit of time and helped me identify a Hart barreled Winchester Model 70 target rifle. Maybe he can help with this one.

One of my sons visited for Thanksgiving and we spent a few hours at the range shooting rifles and pistols together. Good times!

One of the rifles we shot was the mystery rifle. I had some Federal GMM 7.62x51 (not .308) and we both put some rounds down range with it. One thing we learned right away was do not touch the trigger until you are ready to fire. It is that light.

The range that we shoot at has a number of ranges, to include an intermediate range of 300 yards. The closest shooting that they allow on that range is 150 yards, so that is where we started.

My son shot this group at 150 yards. First shot was the 12 o'clock hole over the diamond. This was his first shot out of the rifle and I think the trigger pull surprised him. He put the next 4 rounds into the ragged hole a little to the right. There was a light left-to-right cross wind. The 4-shot group measures .458" ctc.

724Je9y.jpg

We moved the target down to 300 yards and I shot this 4 shot group. The group wasn't good, but the vertical dispersion was minimal. I believe that the light left-to-right breeze pushed the bullets around a little on their way to the target. The first shot was low-center in the red. I had put a black paster in the red area to provide a smaller aim point and that first shot clipped the bottom of the paster and knocked it off. The next two shots were over on the right and the last one was back in the red.

I like this rifle.

tVFJsDr.jpg

Last edited:
if you ever...

get a chance to buy an extractor ring for the 722 based rifle you have that is correct for the head diameter jump on it. They are very scarce and according to some were prone to breaking. I have one 722 and one 721, .257 Roberts and /06 and shoot them some but have never had a problem although I do have a spare extractor thanks to Gary Long. But, I do not shoot them in volume. Nice rifle!!

get a chance to buy an extractor ring for the 722 based rifle you have that is correct for the head diameter jump on it. They are very scarce and according to some were prone to breaking. I have one 722 and one 721, .257 Roberts and /06 and shoot them some but have never had a problem although I do have a spare extractor thanks to Gary Long. But, I do not shoot them in volume. Nice rifle!!

Thanks, glp. I'll be on the lookout for that extractor ring. Not sure who Gary Long is.

Back