Drop Port Location for Young Railgun

I’ve pulled the trigger on a new railgun from Jay Young. Planning to use a Borden BRMXD action and would like to set it up as a drop port.

I’m hoping somebody out there has already done this with a Borden drop port action. If so, would you please post a picture of where the drop port was milled in the Young top plate. I’m concerned that the front portion of the trigger guard is located about where the drop port needs to be milled. Obviously that would be a problem. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Just off the top of my head, where most things come these days, I don't think a drop port action is a good idea for a rail gun. Again, I'm probably grossly mistaken!

Wilbur

Why would a drop port action not be a good idea for a Rail Gun?, Just curious. One of the the things that attracted me to Rail Guns is the unlimited design possibilities. unrestricted by any existing rule. Its hard for me to believe that a skilled machinist couldn't create or modify one of the current Rail Gun platforms that would work with any of the Custom actions.

"A Rail Gun is one of the Toys of the Game that is limited only to the imagination of its creator." My description, of course.

Glenn

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    914.2 KB · Views: 1,165
Last edited:
Only what Jackie wrote about the modifications...probably not too hard to do. On the other hand, why a drop port when other actions are just as good as far as a railgun is concerned. Never mind where your cases go...it's where the bullets go that's important. Not trying to "defend" my thoughts here but rather "just sayin' " I'm also thinking that with a drop port action you have pretty much limited where the barrel is clamped....maybe not.

I like drop port actions!

I like Rail Guns

The OP, A new shooter, is taking the plunge and investing in a new unlimited Rifle platform. I’m betting that the Rail Gun builder/designer, will provide his/her advice as to design possibilities, when using a drop port action. I’ve owned four rifles(BagGuns) with drop port actions. Im a big fan. One of those rifles was a so called “Hummer”. Made me think I was a great shooter.

IMO, the only limiting factor to Rail Gun design, is weight. The older you get, the harder it becomes to pick it up and put it on the bench.:( In some competitions, the gun has to be frequently moved from bench to bench.

Every Benchrest shooter should own an unlimited Rifle. Its Benchrest in its truest form.

Glenn

Back