Douglas Barrel

F

Flouncer

Is my Douglas barrel lapped as it came from the factory ? Not that it matters, it is a Chrome Moly heavy sporting contour #5 in .264. Thank you ! I read several threads on barrels and accuracy going back to 2007.......

I don't think Douglas laps their barrels but wouldn't bet my life on it. A call to them would answer the question for sure.

I've had several Douglas barrels, and they were all straight bores. Now I do believe they were lapped, just not tappered.

Unless they have just started,Douglas barrels are not lapped. This does not mean that their barrels are not up to the tolerances of the other good barrel makers,it means they sometimes need a few more rounds thru them for break in. Like Hart and the early remington barrels they are push button rifled. I started using their barrels back in the early 60's and I think their process has remained pretty much the same thru the years.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't got ahold of anyone at Douglas, they are 3 hrs early from me and I get off work 16:30 hrs PST. Was talking at the range last Friday and an individual was very interested in an "early Douglas", circa 1996. He even suggested I have it set back from 6.5-06 to 6.5 x 55 to preserve the barrel life. Anyway, I remember my barrel new, I broke it in carefully, but nothing special other than shooting it and cleaning it. It fouls badly, at least in my limited experience. I have nothing to compare it to. Say 18 patches total for 10 sots fired, to get it clean. As in no more fouling or copper on the patches. By primer count, I might have 400 shots down it. Big case, small bore, lot's of accuumlation, no ? Most peeps that I talk to shoot expensive stainless, hand lapped .308 and they don't foul hardly at all. My opinion is that mine is fine, it's crome moly, small bore-big case and wasn't factory handlapped so it gets dirty easier. 30 shots and I am cleaning 30-40 patches spread overall several hours to let the Shooters soak in, followed by a 5-min Copper clean and final cleaner wipe down before storage.

Is this reasonable ?

No problem with the shooting. Both the gun and I am getting better and I am reaching out down the range, giving 600 yards a try Friday or Saturday. Shoots nice for 1912 Mauser 98 rebarrel.

So my question as it relates to lapped barrel..... wouldn't an unlapped barrel in Cromo shoot dirtier than a lapped stainless one in a bigger bore and smaller case. 6.5-06 vs .308 ?? Thanks.....

I have a few questions in reference to your cleaning procedure what chemicals you are using to clean this barrel because realisticly you shouldn't have that much problem with fouling. Even though chrome/moly has alot more nickel in the steel as opposed to stainless. Stainless always gives you a better finished product as far as smoothness and the throat life will be alot longer on stainless and personally the cartridge you're shooting is not totally overbore but alot of that is got to do with velocities your running what bullets you are using in reference to jacket softnesses. Some bore cleaners i prefer not to use because i have ruined my own barrel by walking away and not getting back to it in quick enough time and it actually pitted the bore and i no longer use any ammoniated products for that main reason. If that barrel continues to copper where you can't clean it efficiently with a short amount of cleaning you call me at Douglass Barrels and we'll see what the issue is.
Thanks,
Stan Taylor

Hey Stan. Just sent a barrel to you today so you can duplicate the contour in a nice new XX CM 7mm. Didn't know you were on the forum.

I stay on benchrest forums alot to read the interesting things people are talking about i spend more on the 1000yd forum where i shoot with alot of these guys that are giving input to our shooting sport thinking of different ways to see our sport grow call me at work any time if you have any questions.
Stan

I guess one question might be. How does your barrel shoot? If it is shooting as well as you need or want it to then there isnt any issues. It does sound like you are cleaning a bit to much, or in better words. Your barrel is fouling a bit to much, as compared to a stainless hand lapped barrel. I dont think there is anything wrong with Chrome moly barrels as Ed shilen has told me that there have been some really good shooters using them to win with not to many years ago. The fouling could also be from the chamber job to i suspect? You really wouldn't know unless an experienced eye looked into the barrel with a scope. These are just some things that came to my mind. There are a lot of qualified individuals here to help you with these kinda of questions, and i am probably not one of them. Lee

Thanks Stan and Skeet. It's a venture, a journey into the unknown trying to help an unknown with so many variables, all out of your control. Thank you. For a rebarreled Mauser, it shoots very well. 0.5 to 0.65 best so far at 100, with three in one large hole, and under just 2 1/2" at 300. That's 142gr SMK @ 2,8000 fps. Not really that hot. This is Benchrest central, and I am not a benchrest competitor. But this is a priceless source of information and knowledge. I have used J&B once about 7 weeks ago. I was using Hoppes 7 and 9. Not any more as compared to the Shooters Choice I am now using they seem to be very weak. i.e I can patch, nylon bore brush, and patch with the Hoppes until no more dark (powder) or blue/green can be removed. Then go back in with the Shooters choice and get 5-10 more discolored patches out. I have used two, 5-7 minute wet patch soak SC copper remover. I haven't let that mixture set more than 7 minutes, trust me, as I am aware that it has ammonia in it. Case in point, I cleaned over the last 4 days with three, 8-10 hour SC wet patch soaks, until no more fouling came out. Ran one wet patch SC last night and this AM there is some green on the patch. Can't get a decent macro photo, sorry. I use a bore guide, and with the exception of the J&B, I always push the patch to the end, then walk around and remove the patch, then very carefully draw the rod back through the receiver. Unless the SMK 142s are made of marshmallow gilding metal, I have a fouling problem. I didn't know any better until I was talking to people that shoot the lapped custom stainless in .308 and they all agree that they clean real easy, simple, no problemo. I am going to pick up some Wipe Out and a bore plug to finish this little fellah off, then start fresh and see what happens......

Edit: I bought this barrel new from Brownells in 1997. It was professionally installed, chambered in then a wildcat 6.5-06. Other than cleaning it shoots very well out of a 27-inch 6.5 cal barrel, 99-yo action from the original wood military stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flouncer next time you clean use a copper brush instead of nylon it is not going to hurt a thing if you still have alot of trouble with it call me at douglas we will get it worked out.
thanks Stan

1st Douglas RF Barrel

:)I will never forget one sat morning in August a Bernard Simpson showed up at a Marretia Ohio Match with a rifle he wanted to sight in before the start. A 37 wit a Douglas barrel on it.
We kinda watched him and he shot a 20X at 50 Yards.Well it turned out to e the 1st RF button barrel Douglas made.
He won that 1 day match as if no one else was there.Never seen such goups (very small)
I live about an hour in Ohio from Douglas been ther a few times.Had a few Douglas RF barrels,I have a very warm spot in my heart for Douglas barrels.

Back