Doubling with a shooter next to you

Hello Boyd.

The indoor range has a solid baffle between each bench that extends forward to about the end of the barrel. From what was observed, we believed that the deflection of the second bullet was caused by it travelling through the wake of the first shot. On another trip I strung a bunch of pieces of surveyors tape from the ceiling to watch the "localized wind" pattern in front of the gun caused by a single shot. It is quite amazing how long it takes for the turbulence to settle down! It explained to me the reason why my groups were so ugly when there was no wind on the range. All the guys blasting away on the line were creating our own wind pattern between the bench and my first windflag!

Jerry like I mentioned in my earlier post I found that my SEB appeared to hold the rifle solid on POA. I did find that as I would move the rifle on to the POA and the shooter on either side of me shot while getting to my point of aim I could feel the blast on my left arm which I use on the joystick. If I feel it on my arm the bullet must feel it as well. I think I am beyond the point of flinching when the rifles go off around me. I have started wearing double hearing condoms. Can never be to safe........ LOL

If anything Lawrence cleared a lot of things up in his findings.

I would be curious about Murdicas tunnel. How many lanes does he have? or has he experienced anything?

As I try to visualize "double hearing condoms", it becomes difficult to keep a straight face. The looks that you must get at matches.....;)

Lawrence that is exactly what I have been trying to find out with proof.
Your da man...

Have you ever passed a vehicle on the expressway? Could you feel the buffeting in your vehicle caused by the air from the other vehicle? You said you could feel the muzzle blast from other guns on the line.
It would make perfectly good sense to believe that if your shot were fired at a specific time after a person on either side of you has fired...then your bullet would be passing through the shock wave of the preceeding bullet and that passing through that shock wave must in some manner affect the flight of your bullet, whether the shock wave or "muzzle blast" moves your rifle in it's rest or not. Taking into consideration that you bullet, being affected by that shock wave so early in it's travel, would not have to be affected very much in order to have a significant effect on your bullet. I don't know how often the circumstances I am talking about really happen but I'll leave that to the statisticions.
Mark

Beats me. I know I can feel the muzzle blast, especially of short barrelled rifles. Could the muzzle blast actually be disturbing the aim? (I'm just grabbing at straws here.)

Jerry

We saw the bullet wake pattern quite a bit at the St Louis Nationals a few years ago. The air was so dead that you could watch the first few shots after "commence fire" cause tails to jump several flags down the range. In some cases, it would effect flags two rows over.
Rod

Back