Does my method look sound?

Thanks Fitch, that thread is in the back of my mind and I may give it a go to see if I can make the bushings, I just have a hard time trusting something I made sometimes. I have to use the dead center in the chuck because I don't have a large enough adapter for the headstock, did not do it that way by choice.

One thing that I try to stress when dealing with any type of machine work is "be willing to check it". Regardless of how perform any operation, if it will not pass a inspection so as to certify your procedures, you are always in doubt.

If you perform a procedure, and the results are less than what you hoped for, then you must trouble shoot your set-up to find the problem.

Most error occurs with what I call "stacked tolerances". A little here, a little there, and it adds up..........jackie

I use a similar process but I found that the tapered bushings can not be involved with a cut out or in a half exposed or possible tipped situation. I insert the bushings from the opposite directions and use a short bushing for the rear end so it is not crooked by the tang before snugging up where it matters. The only other way I got repeatable numbers was to make individual mandrels. By the way, old sporter barrels (muzzle end) make for nice mandrels.

Does it matter how you have the centers chucked if your only spinning the mandrel to check it?

Jim

I set up the mandrel and action again and got the same results, this time I marked the high and low spots. I then removed the bushing and installed from the tang and breach, it was clear the tang bushing was tipping, it was easy to see and I was unable to slide the mandrel through the bushings. Second set up was one bushing in the ejection port to tang and then from the breach, the mandrel slide in like butter and bushing seemed well centered so I checked the run out on the face of the action again and the measurements were exactly the same in the same places as my original set up but this way had a little less drag on the mandrel which seems to indicate a little better alignment.

Back