Do We Need a New Perspective on Awards

How about giving someone a generic plaque with quite a bit of room on it the first time they win and a ribbon with Event/Date/Placement on it for every placement?

Greg J.

How about giving someone a generic plaque with quite a bit of room on it the first time they win and a ribbon with Event/Date/Placement on it for every placement?

Greg J.

GREAT IDEA.
Another idea is to get 1 big plaque with each category on it, and place the winners name on it each month/shoot for a couple of years. I'm recycling one right now. Just got to change the date on it, and we will use it for another 5 years.

Attachments

• trophy.jpg
    trophy.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 225
Being a relative new guy to the sport and running matches, I started with plaques for first place and for second place "certificates of achievement" that I designed myself. I haven't heard any complaints so far. They have the club logo on them, and I write in the 2nd place person's name in them. The plaques are from Ron Hoehn, and are quite nice. They have the club name, class and yardage engraved on them.
I went to my first unregistered group match recently and won. First prize was $20 (twice the entry fee), but I would have rather had a momento of the occasion...not that I didn't appreciate the cash :).

I definitely did not get into this for the money :D.
Mike

Been thinkin' about this

Getting that first piece of wood is a real thrill! It's like "I hope I can hang on and end up 2nd or 3rd and I'll be into some wood!!" In reality, when I got that wood, what I really wanted to hear was "second place with a .2585, Bryan Armatys". And the applause from those who stuck around for the awards ceremony. That's the way it is. I'll never win enough wood to cover a wall, and some have won enough to build a house, but it's that recognition that counts.
Wanna do something different? Keep even the 5th place guy interested?
Why not get with the Manufacturers, dealers, distributors etc. and see if they would sell certain items at a big discount to the club for use exclusively for "winnings"? and announce that the item was courtesty of "Joe's Bullets"?

LV 100 and 200
LV grand
HV 100 and 200
HV grand
2gun
There's 7 awards.

Lets say Lester pitched in a hundred cases at 1/2 price to the club
Maybe Harrells put up a seater die for half price.
Or Lucas offered a bore guide for half price to the club.....etc.
Or even a bag of patches at a discount to the club.............
A barrel?
X% off certificates.

Anyway, secure the number of prizes and let the top 5 in all catagorizes all put their names in a hat, put the prizes in another hat and draw.

Run the awards ceromony as usual..........5th place in Lv 100, Joe Blow with a xxxx, 4th place in LV100, Jim Shooter with a xxxx etc.
When it's all said and done, everyone has had their recognition, and the real fun begins:
The drawing for LV 100 prize (draw the prize) is a Custom made Bob Dodd knife valued at $xxx.xx (draw for the top 5 in LV 100) and the winner is Joe Blow!
Tony Boyer may win the 2 gun and not get a prize at all, or may win a bag of patches, but I'd bet everyone would be happy and have some fun doing it this way.
Bryan
By the way, If I won the 2 gun and not a single prize, and Tony was 5th and won 4 prizes along the way, I'd be WAAAAAAAAAAY happier than him!

Last edited:
Trophies and plaques are good. We all appreciate recognition. They don't have to be expensive to be appreciated. Just ask the shooter who hasn't got one yet.

Unless we are salesmen or athletes most of us receive very few awards of the wall hanging kind.

I have an third place trophy from my high school science fair back in 1957. It is small and today it sits in a closet tarnishing but it has been well appreciated by me and I know where it is.

Concho Bill

I don't know if this would work. But it did in the early years. Agg winner, SMALL trophy. Grand agg 3 small trophy. Small group trophys, (small) 2 GUN, 1 trophy, (sponsored by who ever), and, here is the money saver, TOP 10 Patches.
It got changed around because we had shooters who would not shoot at a match unless they had a chance at a trophy. The ranges would then give out, top 3 in agg, top 5 in Grands, small groups, and top 5 in 2 GUN
Cost I remember we paid about $1.69 each for patches. If you had 4 matches and bought 40 patches you got the big discount.
I agree with what Jackie is trying to say. I have mentioned serveral times that we try to get shooters into the fold so to speak. We loan our rifles, our equipment and load for individuals and lets be honest, how many actually keep in the game, I know of one person in the ER who has devoted a lot of time, effort, and money in helping new shooters and of all the ones he has helped, we have one shooter, maybe two.
I think the governing bodies is a little off their goal. Rather then waste time and money on individuals, who, by the way will still be helped by the existing members, concentrate on the ranges, that is where the answer lies. B.B. Bailey, (I think I got the name right), once said, give them a show and they will turn out. The ranges are the heart of benchrest, make the range profitable, easy to run and hassle free. 10 club members and you are lucky to get 3 that will help move target boards or work at doing targets, or whatever. And don't say it will not work, you only have to look at KANE to see results. I just woke up and I am rambling, sorry

As someone new to this sport, I thought I had to add a few opinions to this post. Being my first year I have no information about attendance or participation, but I can share some information from a rookie's eyes. I had wanted to get into this sport for sometime. I called around, got the time and place for the first match and decided to go. Before the relay, the match director announced we were rookies. Kind of intimidating at first, but probably one of the best things that has happened to me. While only shooting factory class, shooters came from everywhere to introduce themselves and to offer help and guidance. The hardest thing for a new shooter to do is to take the first step, get up off the couch and go compete in a match. The second fear factor is knowing you are going to run into some of the best shooters that this sport has to offer. I have been to 21 matches this year, shooing factory class in most, but now have two of everything in VFS. In order to keep the new shooters comming back I do think there needs to be some form of recognition for the rookie class and especially the junior class. Both of these classes are where the future of this sport lies. Do these awards have to be expensive? Definitely not! Just a little something, a pin, ribbon, or a certificate to let the newbie know he made the right decision in not staying at home watching the ball game or cutting the grass. This would help to work on the problem of declining attendance. I have told others about this club and its members and they now have five more people show up at their monthly matches than they had before. The same way referees are appointed, ask for volunteers for the target crews, been there done that, and it has given me a greater appreciation for what the crew does and how much it takes to pull off a successful match. Seemed to occupy some of the idle time and provided an opportunity to meet and make even more friends. I would much rather get a pin, or a ribbon, or a patch, or a small piece of wood for placing than money, but that's just me. I did recently get some wood, and while it has been to work with me and to just about everyone I know, it now rests proudly on my wall. My target was protested by another shooter, he didn't call the protest because he hought he had beaten me, he called it because he thought I shot a 25X instead of a 24. While that little piece of wood covers a small place on the wall--that memory will continue to fill the entire room. Win, loose, wood ,pin, cerificate, or nothing.. I always come out a winner!! I get to shoot with a lot of new friends and best of all I get to share all of these matches with my 16 year old son at the bench next to me, who by he way--shoots left-handed. My first ever VFS match was ironically, Father's Day. Whatever happens with the awards, thanks for the honor to shoot at your clubs. The real recognition should go to the people who make these matches happen. Thank you.

We lost a lot of ranges here simply because no one would help the person from the club who put the matches on, and we are talking club members, who are shooters. And how many match directors, after working for 2 or 3 days before the match, run a 2 day match, and are beset with the whinning of 1 or 2 shooters about everything, that have said, enough is enough and closed down the range. I know of 3 just within a 100 miles of my place. I belonged, (past tense), to a range here, 2 miles from my house, where this happened, I had been a member for 30 years and had did a lot of work for this club, but enough is enough. I personally never had a problem with the shooters. When one had a make believe problem, and was told to come and see me, they always shut their mouth and walked the other way, don't know why, EH!
I guess what I am trying to say is the main problems are the clubs and ranges themselves, not from the match directors, but from the people, who belong to the club. And I think the governing bodies should look very closely at this problem and try and come up with a solution

2 points

1. gamon is right (he tells me to say things like that) and we need to look beyond just the award presentation. this needs to be explored further

2. ribbons and patches are nice and inexpensive,
we did a 5 by 7 or 8 by 10 plaque for $20 at the first of the year in another shooting event and then each match we gave out 1 inch by 2 1/2 inch brass tags that glued onto the main plaque, so at the end of the year you arranged your brass tags to show how you had done, if you had lots then arrange them in rows and if not then place them in a cicle or v shape.

the brass tags were about 1.50 now maybe 2.50 and said LV100 3rd simple but at the end of the year eveybody had a plaque and we made money to keep the club afloat.

later Jefferson

For Club Matches.....

I like the pins we hand out at Harrison. I'm not sure of the cost, maybe Francis, Mike or Dick can chime in on the price. Match Winners gets a pin and money. Second place gets a cash prize also, third place get's their name announced and the clap. :D

We could also do certificates if requested.

Al Walewski

Last edited:
I am not one who puts much value on displaying trophies. Vanity comes to mind.

Vanity and pride have different descriptions in the dictionary. Pride is having an appreciation for hard work or a job well done which certainly applies to a good finish in a benchrest match. Vanity would be thinking you were good but not having done the hard work or completing a job done well.

Whether it be patches, ribbons, certs, or wood, something surely needs to be awarded to the top finishers. There's got to be some tangible proof of a job well done that can be brought home for evidence. Not for "showing off" but as proof that you were actually there and did well. Otherwise, your claims are like a certain person's from Colorado!:eek::D;)

Cash and recognition

I have to agree with eww1350 on this one. I also have won a lot of ribbons and plaques in different events / sports that I have since thrown away. If my two cents are worth anything, here it is: (1) I would prefer a printed certificate over a plaque. They cost nothing and you can make them look really nice. If you wanna file them, fine, or pin them up for display. (2) I try really hard at the matches to get some cash back to help pay my bullet/powder expenses. In fact, I am always game to make a pot on the side to make it even more interesting. Nothing wrong with half the entry fee money going back to the guys who try the hardest. (3) I think every shooting club should incorporate a ranking system for it's shooters. It can be designed to encourage attendance, as well as show who is the best consistent shooter. With a good spreadsheet, you could even hand out an updated sheet after each event. But I really don't care much for plaques or ribbons.

Over the years I have won a fair number of awards in various sports. I still have old number plates from motorcycles, race numbers from bicycling, a shredded jersey that was cut off me at the hospital and a few other trinkets.

I have maybe 4-5 trophies because one day when moving about 15 years ago I sorted them out and kept only the nicest and most important ones. All the others got trashed. I don't miss the mess or clutter although as I write this I do wish I'd made a picture of them before they went to the dump.

I'd be perfectly happy with certificates or ribbons. They're easy to store or display as I choose. And there's no clutter like there is with a bunch of 3 foot tall green metalflake and garish plastic chrome funny looking slightly deformed guys on motorcycles waving a flag. (Wives just love that stuff in the house).

I'd just as soon not have money pay-back but wouldn't complain if it made it easier on the match director and club. Certificates or ribbons are fine prizes.

do we need a new prospective

I feel just the oposite .
But on the subject if your not going to recognize the middle of the pack shooters , then why recognize the top 3 or top ten.
That way the clubs will make lot's of money. Also the shooters will get zero recognition. Bet you the attendace will get even lower.

we did a 5 by 7 or 8 by 10 plaque for $20 at the first of the year in another shooting event and then each match we gave out 1 inch by 2 1/2 inch brass tags that glued onto the main plaque, so at the end of the year you arranged your brass tags to show how you had done, if you had lots then arrange them in rows and if not then place them in a cicle or v shape.

the brass tags were about 1.50 now maybe 2.50 and said LV100 3rd simple but at the end of the year eveybody had a plaque and we made money to keep the club afloat.

Have seen this in SCCA racing. Everyone gets one plaque for the year, with room for stick-on tags and a picture (a piece of plexiglas with a slot behind it for you to insert your own picture). It worked out well.

Cheers,
Keith

do we need a new prospective

We use to give out participation patch years ago.
The shooters really enjoyed them also.
Someone complained they were too expensive,
That ended that. now if you place you might get a sticker for your box and if you shoot a yardage first place a little trophy.
I really don't think the trophys are all that expensive. Last year we gave out a few nice ones for small groups. I know the shooters liked them.

Pins

Got a e-mail with a picture of some Pins from a fellow contributor, and I think they would be great for a Club Match.

Since we shoot score at The Tomball Club Matches, I am also thinking about getting some "250" certificates made up. Something with the Tomball Gun Club logo, a few witness signatures, etc. .........jackie

Back