Digital Scale Woes

about every year at this time. A couple of years ago someone suggested sitting one's scales on a grounded black rubber mat which are made for Keyboards and such. I use to have the link for a place to buy them but never got around to it.

Rubber mouse pad?

Anti-Static mouse pad?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...mouse+pad&aq=0sx&aqi=g-sx1&oq=anti+stat+mouse

Grounded mouse pad?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=active&q=grounded+mouse+pad&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&oq=

Cheers,

Mark

I've had a Pact for 3 or 4 years and have had no problems with it.I load about 2-3000 rounds/year.
I use an aluminum pan from my old Redding scale to hold the powder and occasionally rub the pan down with one of those anti-static dryer sheets.

The ChargeMaster came today. I touched up the level where I wanted to put it, and made sure the power cord didn't double back on itself anywhere. Let it warm up for 30 minutes and programmed in a test load.

There were some initial quirks. Narrowed it down to the draft shield. Wiped it down good with a dryer sheet and things were immediately rock solid.

I'm going to check into the tweaks to fine tune the speed to my loads, but I'm already happy with it.

Got to get some decent weather to shoot in and get this puppy tuned.

Greg J.

Well, you've learned why there's no digital anything on my bench. Quirky, ain't they?

I worked most of my life as an electonic measurement instruments tech in the space/defense business. Had good job security (until those crop-failure Russians gave up) fixing that sort of stuff. I no longer have a goverment owned repair/calibration lab handy to work on them so I have no interest in them.

Beam scales work off gravity and that doesn't change. Set one up on a shelf so the pointer is at eye level, as they should be, and a beam is easily as fast to use and simple to read as a digital. Most of those who praise digitals are either (1) lucky - so far - or (2) are using their beams wrong, usually by simply sitting them down on the bench top. But poor placement and/or a poor work flow path isn't really a problem against the tool, is it?

Other folk's digital mileage may vary...for awhile. But my Ohaus made beam scale is still going stong, still as sensitive and accurate as it was the day a young man opened that magical box of mail order reloading tools in '65.

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandfather was a chemist. He had an old-timey balance, in a nice wood and glass case, that would measure a pencil mark an inch long. Sure wish I had that guy today.

At any rate, I'm pretty happy with the ChargeMaster.

but I'll keep my eyes open for a balance like granddad's too.

Greg J.

My grandfather was a chemist. He had an old-timey balance, in a nice wood and glass case, that would measure a pencil mark an inch long. Sure wish I had that guy today.

At any rate, I'm pretty happy with the ChargeMaster.

but I'll keep my eyes open for a balance like granddad's too.Greg J.

I think there may be one on ebay right now. Haven't looked in a day or so but I saw one. Mettler in a wood and glass box.

Back