Difficult Bolt Lift?

A kid out here that spends time at my house (with my kids) was out back wheelin' a while back..... he got into some fairly deep oopsies and killed the motor in a deep puddle. It's fire a liddle, clunk, sputter, over-rev and rattle to a stop....

Obvious assumption was he'd sucked water.

Over a month later,

about 10 backyard rednecks later,

several actual mechanics later.......

His dad, a 40yr professional mobile mechanic and millwright went out one night and DUMPED SOME GAS IN IT.......

A kid out here that spends time at my house (with my kids) was out back wheelin' a while back..... he got into some fairly deep oopsies and killed the motor in a deep puddle. It's fire a liddle, clunk, sputter, over-rev and rattle to a stop....

Obvious assumption was he'd sucked water.

Over a month later,

about 10 backyard rednecks later,

several actual mechanics later.......

His dad, a 40yr professional mobile mechanic and millwright went out one night and DUMPED SOME GAS IN IT.......

VROOOM VROOOOM fired right up. Course you'd expect him to know it was low on fuel, no? Did they have to come out with a front end loader and do a "dramatic" rescue?

VROOOM VROOOOM fired right up. Course you'd expect him to know it was low on fuel, no? Did they have to come out with a front end loader and do a "dramatic" rescue?

another truck pulled him 3/4 mile home to my shop backwards..... he felt it was dramatic LOL

Then they trailered it home....

All because he didn't check the most basic thing :)

Something about trees and a forest?

It's a classic, Dave.......;):cool::D

mpz3Dsf.jpg

another truck pulled him 3/4 mile home to my shop backwards..... he felt it was dramatic LOL

Then they trailered it home....

All because he didn't check the most basic thing :)

The gentleman who fit the stock is pretty meticulous, but I expect that he torqued the screw just snug. I snugged it a bit more which apparently was just enough to cause contact. Anyway a few strokes with a file Fixed R Up.

diff

Check the scope mount BASE screws on the front and rear.
they could be too long and be putting drag on the bolt.
it's and easy fix.

Check the scope mount BASE screws on the front and rear.
they could be too long and be putting drag on the bolt.
it's and easy fix.

It was the front guard screw that was the culprit. If the screws and bases are machined properly, the head of the longer screws [intended for rear base or rear 2 holes of a one piece base] won't fit into the holes in the front base [or one hole in a one piece base] so that very problem is avoided. At least that's what I saw when I tried to use the long screws to fasten a Leupold [QRW type 2 piece front base] on a 700. I had to use the shorter screws for the front base. May not be universal however.

Yes that would do it'
glad your squared away'

When I put some Leupold 2 piece Weaver type bases on another Rem 700, I tried to use the Leupold long screws for the front base to see if they'd interfere and the heads wouldn't fit into the holes in the base.

When I put some Leupold 2 piece Weaver type bases on another Rem 700, I tried to use the Leupold long screws for the front base to see if they'd interfere and the heads wouldn't fit into the holes in the base.

Sounds like a way to try and make it at least a little more idiot proof.

The problem is that nature is always working on a new idiot with more capability to screw up.

Never argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

NOT intended to imply you are an idiot in any way.
It is all to easy to muck up things you do not do all the time over and over.

As an electrical engineer I had plenty of things that did not works as desired the first time out.
It took a few tries to use massive 'hockey puck' style high power and voltage transistors to control 44 V 3-phace motor variable frequency drives in the 1970s.

We manage to have more than a few rather large explosions from overheating.
We finally decided after a really memorable one that took out two of the three in use almost together that some shielding for flying shrapnel was a good idea.
We used a couple panels of 1 inch thick polycarbonate mounted in as heavy metal frame with floor anchors and some hold down weights.

We also added some temperature thermocouples to open power relays at safe but higher than desired temperatures.

It sometimes slowed progress but no more detonations.

Last edited:
Did you ever work for PG and E ?....Had to ask but I'm just pulling your leg.

Mort

Nope.

Mostly Black Electronics Warfare stuff.
Who else would need a radio system that changes frequencies 2,000 times per second?

I did consulting work on commercial stuff part time though.
Often 'Red Team' design reviews before production decisions.

I remember a comment to a satellite company after a Red Team review.
I asked a VP how much would insurance on the satellite cost?
He told me "About $10 million."

I said "We MIGHT be able to chase down issue for that much.
Or it may take even more.
Buy insurance."

He thanked me and said it was " The best Recommendation he had
heard over a Radiation question in his career."

They hired us a couple more times after that also.
And the satellite is still working after 12 years.

Two years past its 'expected life.'

Back