Differences in Stiller's Viper and Diamondback actions?

lojak

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between a Stiller Viper or Diamondback action (with drop port), and I was wondering about the pro's and con's of either? This will be for a LV 6PPC build. Personally I prefer the aesthetics of the Diamondback, but I'm not otherwise pre-judging.

Thanks,

-- Stephen

I think the viper is an aluminum action and the diamondback is a stainless action. Jerry makes a great action and i would also think the two actions in subject are about the same as far as tolerances goes. I dont see were you could go wrong with either one. Give him a call.
I just wish his benchrest actions were more readily available. I have a few of there predator actions and they are great, but i have never owned a benchrest action that jerry makes. I have inquired several times but they just dont seem to make a lot of them.
Jerry hangs out here a bit and i am sure he will chime in. They are good folks there in Texas, that i know for sure! Lee

Skeetlee,

Thanks.. Since this build would be for the 2011 season, the lead times for the action are not a big concern to me (yet, hmm.. famous last words?). What I'm really curious about is whether those folks who have used the Viper and the Diamondback think of each? A lot of board chatter recently seems to suggest that some folks think that the aluminum Viper action has dampening properties which are useful - but I'm not experienced enough to really assess those claims.

Thanks,

-- Stephen

I see...

Skeetlee,

Thanks.. Since this build would be for the 2011 season, the lead times for the action are not a big concern to me (yet, hmm.. famous last words?). What I'm really curious about is whether those folks who have used the Viper and the Diamondback think of each? A lot of board chatter recently seems to suggest that some folks think that the aluminum Viper action has dampening properties which are useful - but I'm not experienced enough to really assess those claims.

Thanks,

-- Stephen

I see a lot of Vipers and Diamondback actions on the line at the various matches I attend. Nothing but praise for both. They are super smooth operating and with a beautiful anodized coating look good as well. Both are aluminum actions with steel inserts and perform flawlessly. In addition, both have been around long enough to prove their worth with the high pressure loads so common in Benchrest.

Jerry is easy to deal with and will advise you what is the best action for your needs. You just can't go wrong.

virg

I see a lot of Vipers and Diamondback actions on the line at the various matches I attend. Nothing but praise for both. They are super smooth operating and with a beautiful anodized coating look good as well. Both are aluminum actions with steel inserts and perform flawlessly. In addition, both have been around long enough to prove their worth with the high pressure loads so common in Benchrest.

virg

Actually, the Viper and Cobra are aluminum with insert, while the Diamondback is Stainless. Beautiful actions all. Give them a call.

Scott Roeder

Actions

Hi Lojak,

There is 2 oz difference between the actions, the Diamond Back being heavier. The rest would be your preference. I would recommend you call and get on the list for an action. 972.492.5000.

Russ

I am waiting for there rimfire actions to come out. I have been on a list for about 2 years. It will be a sweet day when it happens!! Lee

My father's diamondback drop port has functioned flawlessly, and is the foundation of a very good shooting score gun (it makes us newbies seem like we know what we are doing. there is also one hell of a barrel on that gun, and the smith did a heck of a job, too.)
I would not hesitate to put one into my next setup. Don't know as far as weight goes if it will help or hinder, but you won't be held back by its performance.

Mike

hi russ

i am very happy with my diamondback you sold me

bill

Back