dial in TOP OF THE LANDS OR BOTTOM OF THE BORE

Find what works for you.

I’ve chamberd barrels About ever way possible(even by hand) As of lately I prefer to dial in just ahead of the throat and the rear of the chamber so pretty much from the rear of the pilot to the breech the reamer is running true. I like to zero off the bottom of the groove, does it make a huge difference..... probably not. That said I like to dial in off the top of the land when crowning. I’ve got my own logic on it but like I said it probably doesn’t make a huge difference. I’ve also just started playing around with drilling/boring the chamber to start too.....the jury’s still out on if there’s a real advantage on that too but in theory it should?

Not a fan of carbon barrels anymore (done 7). Took a nice CA Carbon and made a 300 rum. Couldn’t get it consistent. Same 2 shots together, one right 1+moa every time, same as you. Put a new crown on and re-chambered using a ..... you guys might want to sit down .... a 3 jaw with .007” slop! Used the carriage bolt method to push in the reamer while I held it with a small wrench. Fixed the problem and shoots great. Up hunting my buddy was cracking rocks at 800+. Funny how my 70+ year old gunsmith said,

“You’re dialing in too much and wasting time! Just indicate a pin in each end and push the reamer in! It will follow the @#$*& hole! It doesn’t have a choice!”

I still waste time because I can’t help myself, but he wasn’t wrong with his basic methods.

the bore of a bbl "worms" the length of the bbl, it is not a straight line.
think about this.
when the pilot bushing is following the bore in its not straight line,
what is it forcing the back of the reamer to do ?
maybe drop the 2 pins and try just dialing it in.
something diff

Not a fan of carbon barrels anymore (done 7). Took a nice CA Carbon and made a 300 rum. Couldn’t get it consistent. Same 2 shots together, one right 1+moa every time, same as you. Put a new crown on and re-chambered using a ..... you guys might want to sit down .... a 3 jaw with .007” slop! Used the carriage bolt method to push in the reamer while I held it with a small wrench. Fixed the problem and shoots great. Up hunting my buddy was cracking rocks at 800+. Funny how my 70+ year old gunsmith said,

“You’re dialing in too much and wasting time! Just indicate a pin in each end and push the reamer in! It will follow the @#$*& hole! It doesn’t have a choice!”

I still waste time because I can’t help myself, but he wasn’t wrong with his basic methods.

I’ll try it. By “dial it in” you mean .....? Couple ways to do it..

Either way, doesn’t the “blankety blank piloted reamer still follow the @*#&$ hole? To quote a friend

Last edited:
Back