Devcon Question

F

fbc3

Reviewing the directions on the box containing Devcon Steel Putty (A) 10110, the mix ratio is 9 to 1 by weight or 2.5 to 1 by volume. Because there is more resin than hardener, and the resin container is much heavier than the hardener container, I'm assuming that those ratios are of resin to hardener, and not of hardener to resin. Have I got that right? Thanks, Fred in Lakewood, CO

Reviewing the directions on the box containing Devcon Steel Putty (A) 10110, the mix ratio is 9 to 1 by weight or 2.5 to 1 by volume. Because there is more resin than hardener, and the resin container is much heavier than the hardener container, I'm assuming that those ratios are of resin to hardener, and not of hardener to resin. Have I got that right? Thanks, Fred in Lakewood, CO

Fred,

You are correct. Have used that Devcon product for several gun projects and really liked the results. Good luck.

Jerry

Putty???
Is it actually putty?
Are you using it for a glue in or just bedding?
If a glue in, does it stop the ooooooozzzzz issue we normally have with most epoxy glues?
I usually JB and it is always a mess for me.

One part of the white stuff to 2 1/2 parts of the black stuff! I have never used a scale to weigh the parts but have never had the stuff fail to harden when I only estimate, by eye, the ratio of one to the other.

One part of the white stuff to 2 1/2 parts of the black stuff! I have never used a scale to weigh the parts but have never had the stuff fail to harden when I only estimate, by eye, the ratio of one to the other.

That works I guess, I use a 1 oz plastic cup and put it on the digital scale and zero it out. I then put the amount of black stuff that looks like it will do the job. I then scoop some white stuff and add until the math is right.

This has worked well for me.

I'm just glad that Devcon gives the option of weighing which IMO is the best way to mix epoxy. Brownell's doesn't offer that option with their Acra epoxies and I've had to find it by trial and failure. (I'm not satisfied with "it got hard"... :) )

al

In recent times. I've been lucky enough (ha!) to have had a couple of hospitalizations, during which time, I collected all those cute little disposable measuring glasses they brought my pills round in. They are perfect for jobs like measuring & mixing one shot doses of bedding.

In recent times. I've been lucky enough (ha!) to have had a couple of hospitalizations, during which time, I collected all those cute little disposable measuring glasses they brought my pills round in. They are perfect for jobs like measuring & mixing one shot doses of bedding.

I buy them at Smart & Final in bags of 100. I think they run around $2-$3 a bag.

Devcon steel puddy seems to be very forgiving in its mix ratio and setup time, 1/2 hour- 45 minutes, probably why so many like it for bedding applications.

I like to warm it up a bit with a hair dryer until it has the consistency more closer to thick liquid molasses, easier to mix, apply and flows better with fewer bubbles and voids, returns to thick puddy consistency once action is pressed into it, speeds up reaction time by a few minutes...................Don

Back