Definition of coaxial

C

carl hansen

I would like to see a clear and concise explanation and definition of coaxial...

I would like to see a clear and concise explanation and definition of coaxial...

Why..???...it should be listed in the dictionary....
If it is a challange to a term used by a vendor for a product...let them call it whatever they like...

Co Axial and Concentric

Both of these terms begin with "CO" the prefix meaning "with".

Concentric is synonomous with centered. Co = with centric = centered.

CoAxial is two centers aligned making a centered aligned cylinder. Concentric to each other on each end.

The OD walls of the cylinder would be aligned with each other and the ends also aligned at 90 degrees of the OD.
You are aligning two different planes.

Another description would be lookng down a tube. If the tube is coaxial you would only see the edge at the back of the tune and the hole would be perfectly round.

Nat Lambeth

p.s It has been 40+ years since I had geometry and Vib's explaination was point on and I hope I have not muddied the waters.

Last edited:
I have seen it used in a couple of ways that relate to shooting, in reference to a seating die, to indicate that the die seats bullets so that their axes are coincident with that of the cases that they are seated in, and as used to describe Farley rests, in which case I believe that it points out that the same lever controls horizontal and vertical adjustment, that these controls share a common axis.

In firearms usages...

it customarily means that the long axis of one device or barrel is aligned parallel to that of another: E.G.: co-axial machinegun in the tank turret; the MG barrel being aligned with that of the main gun.
Telescopic sights are mechanically aligned co-axially with the gun's bore, though the optics are usually adjusted to a line which converges with the gun bore's axis at some distance from the muzzle to establish the working zero.
mhb - Mike

Parallel is two lines pointing in the same direction, but which may be offset from one another. Offset lines are coplanar, but not coaxial. Coaxial means the same direction, with no offset. Parallel is not necessarily coaxial, but coaxial is always parallel. A telescopic sight cannot be coaxial with the bore unless it is actually looking down the bore, on the SAME axis.

Now that you mention it, Boyd, I have always been curious why Farley calls their rest coaxial. Horizontal and vertical axes are orthogonal, which by definition is not coaxial.

It must be winter.;)

Cheers,
Keith

Parallel is two lines pointing in the same direction, but which may be offset from one another. Offset lines are coplanar, but not coaxial. Coaxial means the same direction, with no offset. Parallel is not necessarily coaxial, but coaxial is always parallel. A telescopic sight cannot be coaxial with the bore unless it is actually looking down the bore, on the SAME axis.

Now that you mention it, Boyd, I have always been curious why Farley calls their rest coaxial. Horizontal and vertical axes are orthogonal, which by definition is not coaxial.

It must be winter.;)

Cheers,
Keith
Great to see there is someone else who paid attention in math those ad men dont care what the word means it needs to sound good

I also agree, the woman in my second life will certainly be coaxial, but without audio

Give her a horn to communicate with like that clown used to on Howdy Doody - Clarabelle I think it was. I saw a Russian woman in a XXX movie that was coaxial and trust me that Bob's idea is a good one. Those moves haunt me to this very day.

Take a look at this!

419630_318710471511306_100001170675851_838931_1672353302_n.jpg

Just one more definition of 'coaxial' :D. In relation with joystick rest, that's the basic. Tons of MOA in there!

seb.

Man I wish I could come up with a cool question. Just so that I could set back and read these answers, it's a hoot. I don't even have a clue if any of them are correct or not but they sound real good.

I'm stll waiting for an answer to my last question. " Honey whats for dinner?"

Roland

sir,
i think the answer is:
a) "what ever you fix"
or
b) "where are you taking me for dinner ?"

very seldom there is a third, but i have been divorced for over 20 year and do nto remember what it was....

mike in co
Man I wish I could come up with a cool question. Just so that I could set back and read these answers, it's a hoot. I don't even have a clue if any of them are correct or not but they sound real good.

I'm stll waiting for an answer to my last question. " Honey whats for dinner?"

Roland

you would have to provide the context of the word. several correct answers have been given, but if we are talking advertising/marketing...well its up to the seller.
mike in co[

QUOTE=carl hansen;660870]I would like to see a clear and concise explanation and definition of coaxial...[/QUOTE]

In the context of the latter part of this discussion, this is obviously what the term referrs to.
crossed_axes_large.jpg

Last edited:
Back