dazed and confused

Having a brl chambered to SAAMI min (if any SAAMI for that caliber) or below SAAMI min to get the "ultra match" sooooooo fashion label, then running standard dimensions (and standard tolerances) sizing dies is a true call for problems.

If your caliber is some kind of extremely wild wildcat, it's even calling for more issues because of the lack of a true standard, making people grind/cut "approximatively" the same thing.

To explain my point a little further, I know a super match grade space AR15 with small chamber even refusing some 223 ammo straight from well known factories, depending on the batch, with owner yelling everywhere that ammo being " go " into his Wilson chamber gage, it SHALL chamber in his gun BECAUSE the Wilson gage is ZE 223 TRUTH.

You understand of course that the Wilson chamber gage is NOTHING close to his AR chamber.

That said, back to your issue ...

Should the issue be "bolt click" aka difficult primary extraction, I would emphasize on GreyFox recommendation here above. A 7/8" - 14 ring die machined with a 10% conical reamer, lanolin and a ram allowing to push the entire brass all through the ring will be a fine and inexpensive way to go.

Remember, industrial reamers all have a strong bevel or a rounded edge at their working base, so you may not size enough at the required area. Remember this PPC tool with changeable sizing rings at the base of the sizer ? Dead on, but way more expensive, and a questionmark about sizer axis and base ring axis coincidence. No axis question with the ring die.

If it's a general sizing issue, I draw it BIG for explaination purpose, aka sizing dies to big for chamber, send 2-3 times fired brass to PTG and they will grind the right sizer reamer for you. I do trust them for that.

On my own, I do prefer cut arbor press neck sizer and seater with chamber finisher reamer and go for the ring die for sizing my brass just above the extractor groove when needed. I shoulder bump with shims and a "too short" 7/8-14 dummy chamber cut with you know what.

To go back to the begining of it all, should your vapor trail be a non standardized wild wildcat, I, personnaly, would go with MY OWN chamber finish reamer, have the barrel rechambered, cut the arbor press tools and dummy chamber with MY REAMER and cut a ring die. The ram is easy to make with a case cut and some steel rod.

Hope this help.
Olive.

Last edited:
MAYBE YOUI SHOULD READ ALL BEFORE POSTING.
you have lots of misinformation in your post..not what i said at all.

min spec 300 wsm neck turned load throat...is not a wildcat
vapor trail is a well know BULLET MAKER in lr br and prs.
this is not an ar.

Having a brl chambered to SAAMI min (if any SAAMI for that caliber) or below SAAMI min to get the "ultra match" sooooooo fashion label, then running standard dimensions (and standard tolerances) sizing dies is a true call for problems.

If your caliber is some kind of extremely wild wildcat, it's even calling for more issues because of the lack of a true standard, making people grind/cut "approximatively" the same thing.

To explain my point a little further, I know a super match grade space AR15 with small chamber even refusing some 223 ammo straight from well known factories, depending on the batch, with owner yelling everywhere that ammo being " go " into his Wilson chamber gage, it SHALL chamber in his gun BECAUSE the Wilson gage is ZE 223 TRUTH.

You understand of course that the Wilson chamber gage is NOTHING close to his AR chamber.

That said, back to your issue ...

Should the issue be "bolt click" aka difficult primary extraction, I would emphasize on GreyFox recommendation here above. A 7/8" - 14 ring die machined with a 10% conical reamer, lanolin and a ram allowing to push the entire brass all through the ring will be a fine and inexpensive way to go.

Remember, industrial reamers all have a strong bevel or a rounded edge at their working base, so you may not size enough at the required area. Remember this PPC tool with changeable sizing rings at the base of the sizer ? Dead on, but way more expensive, and a questionmark about sizer axis and base ring axis coincidence. No axis question with the ring die.

If it's a general sizing issue, I draw it BIG for explaination purpose, aka sizing dies to big for chamber, send 2-3 times fired brass to PTG and they will grind the right sizer reamer for you. I do trust them for that.

On my own, I do prefer cut arbor press neck sizer and seater with chamber finisher reamer and go for the ring die for sizing my brass just above the extractor groove when needed. I shoulder bump with shims and a "too short" 7/8-14 dummy chamber cut with you know what.

To go back to the begining of it all, should your vapor trail be a non standardized wild wildcat, I, personnaly, would go with MY OWN chamber finish reamer, have the barrel rechambered, cut the arbor press tools and dummy chamber with MY REAMER and cut a ring die. The ram is easy to make with a case cut and some steel rod.

Hope this help.
Olive.

MAYBE YOUI SHOULD READ ALL BEFORE POSTING.
you have lots of misinformation in your post..not what i said at all.

min spec 300 wsm neck turned load throat...is not a wildcat
vapor trail is a well know BULLET MAKER in lr br and prs.
this is not an ar.

Make no worry, I read it twice and entirely.
Have a nice problem solving.

Back