Cutting fluids

We had a new machinist that apparently had not worked on all that much aluminum.

He failed to taker the 'No 1,1,1 Trichlor on aluminum cutting' to heart.

The hot chips commenced smoldering.

He panicked completely.

He almost was fired.

We had a new machinist that apparently had not worked on all that much aluminum.

He failed to taker the 'No 1,1,1 Trichlor on aluminum cutting' to heart.

The hot chips commenced smoldering.

He panicked completely.

He almost was fired.

Carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) used to be the go-to for aluminium before the machinable aluminums came along. The "guvmint" got all up just because this stuff, was what fire extinguishers was filled, just because CCl4 generated phosgene gas (nerve gas)!!!!

I was using Transultex H, but developed an allergy to the sulphur in the oil. Took awhile to figure out what was causing it. Tried the Rigid Premium Extreme cutting oil, but couldn't use it either. I've been using Mobilmet 766 with good results and no allergic reaction to it.

I like vipers venom for threrads and chambers. I have noticed however that this oil mists all over the place when hit with the air hose. The Vipers venom is the worst compared to any other oil i have ever used. I know this oil, or any other oil for that matter, cant be good to breath. i no longer use the air hoses when using VV.

Ditto on the WD-40 for Aluminum. Great for tapping, milling, threading, or turning.

I wish they still made the old TapMagic. The stuff that smelled like cinnamon. That stuff, when mixed with any sulphurized cutting oil was like a "tool bit in a can".

Funny story about that stuff. Years ago, I was doing some Lathe work, and one of those big black roaches was crawling up the wall. I aim the can of TapMagic at him, hit him, and in 10 seconds he was dead.

No wonder they outlawed it.:rolleyes:

Jackie, I checked my 5 gal can of the older Tapmagic. I only have about a gallon left.

We machine heavy wall pipe putting weld bevels on up to 24in plus pipe with 2 in wall thickness and 9 chrome (almost stainless). I started using tap magic extreme "ep extra" and it is impressive I've only used spray cans I don't know if it comes any other way. Beveling pipe uses a form tool usually M42 or other good grade and on heavy wall it is cutting the entire form making chips like ribbons up to 2in wide. The tap magic gives better tool life than anything else we've tried

I was using Transultex H, but developed an allergy to the sulphur in the oil. Took awhile to figure out what was causing it. Tried the Rigid Premium Extreme cutting oil, but couldn't use it either. I've been using Mobilmet 766 with good results and no allergic reaction to it.

Mike, "back in the day" we at Eastman Kodak pit a great effort in finding healthy cutting fluids that would work as machining lubricants. The along came the EPA and the good stuff to use could not be put in their water treatment plants. Cincinnati Milacron came out with Cimcool. I guess the Eastman shops are still using that? Cimcool concentrate OK for reaming but I don't need a 55 gallon drum.

Hope these upcoming guys using compressed air for chip removal know they can greatly reduce the life of their machines blowing chips under the waywipers. Some metal chips are much harder that the base metal.

How are you guys weathering the storm/ Any word from Horn and that bunch?

Mike ...
How are you guys weathering the storm/ Any word from Horn and that bunch?

John and Scott are in Iowa Park and Wichita Falls respectively which are about 400 miles inland and North of Houston. So, they aren't in any problem from the hurricane. Texted Pat Byrne last night, he said there is high water where he is in Needville but they are alright. They still had electricity last night. He said they are West of the Brazos river.

Scott Hunter called yesterday afternoon. He and John were on the way back from the Buffalo Shoot in Midland, Tx. Said it was nice and green there, but 20mph winds both days. Wind is normal for Midland, but I think the green is a 1000 year deal.
Congratulations to Gary Bristow for winning the Buffalo!

HiWall - I'm using Viper's right now because I still have a bottle. Never had chatter problems with it. But truth be told, under the borescope it doesn't seem to provide any better finish than used 30-W (which has always given us very nice chambers).

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

If you look hard enough it is often possible to tell the difference between 3-phase power and single phase power.

Lubricants

Lubricants were suggested for Aluminum but kerosene was never mentioned. 50+ years ago I used it for machining large Aluminum face plates used for mounting radar on aircraft carriers. Worked great.

To days Rapid Tap is the pits ..it doesn't even smell the same.

Mort

Last edited:
I just finished mopping up 15-20 gallons of coolant off my shop floor. I was doing coolant maintenance and didn't get the return line from my tramp oil separator back into the sump and pumped coolant onto the floor. Right about now I'm glad it is water based and not dark oil....

Flush System Coolant

In 2005 I built a high pressure flush coolant system. The engineers at Rustlic put me on to Rustlic 255R cut 5:1. I have chambered over 5,000 barrels with 50 gallons of recycled coolant. Rustlic 255R is no longer available. The engineers at Rustlic recommended that I convert to UltraCut Pro. May change it out today. Have about 4 gallons of coolant left in my reservoir. I think that I have gotten my moneys worth. I have several reamers with over 1500 chambers cut with no regrind. Recently I broke a flute on a 6.5/300 Weatherby reamer. This was the first reamer that I have ever broken. There was no chamber damage and I believe the reamer had a existing crack at the root.

I am convinced that through barrel flush coolant is the best way to go if your going to do multiple barrels per month.

Nat Lambeth

Back