Custom Stock

A

AVanGorder

Who builds custom stocks? What I mean is, who takes blanks and turns them into the perfect fitting mates to custom hunting type rifles.

I have a hankering for a nice custom rifle but the wood is something I know zero about.

Adrian

This is a rifle that David Christman built and stocked. James Mock did an article on David a few years back and he is just a good honest guy.
DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0035-1.jpg

Lot of both good and hatchet guys out there. Don't get in a hurry.
Butch

Nice gun, Butch...

Another good stocker is John Maxson of Washington Court House, Ohio. John is relatively quick and reasonable compared to a lot of stockers.

Hint... what you want is not a two month project.

John has good wood. He can show you some.

Dick Wright

Adrian,

The two rifle builders mentioned by Butch, Jim Kobe and David Christman, are in very exclusive company when it comes to gun builders. Most of us hacks couldn't dream of doing the kind of work they perform. If you would go over to the gunsmithing forum on accuratereloading.com, you will find that many of those types of smiths post there. The only two that I know of that post here are James Anderson and Kobe. Anyhow, I'd suggest you lurk over there for a bit to see what you might be interested in. Lots of good info.

Stock Blanks

If you feel the need to look at some of the most beautiful wood available get in touch with Cecil Fredi in Las Vegas, He currently has over 30,000 blanks available! His website is gunstockblanks.com, at the bottom of the page you can look at some of the blanks. he sells alot of stocks for high end rifles.

Certainly not my cup of tea. If I were to go to the trouble to have Joe do one in wood for me, I would have wanted a nicer looking piece of wood. I would also want the layout to be better than that piece.
Just my thoughts.
Butch

Back