Custom Rimfire Actions

Jerry's post makes me wonder what in the world I thought I was doing when I bought a couple of 22RF blanks & started in on them. Fortunately, I'm not shooting BR, but instead, built myself a couple of high-end repeaters for trainers & 22RF Precision Rifle steel matches. Started out with one of his 2500XR actions, and put a Krieger on it that I chambered with a PTG Ultimate EPS reamer. The stuff I did - coming from 12yrs of CF bbl work - would probably have made an experienced RF smith either laugh or feel nauseous, maybe both. Followed that rifle up with a Rem 40X bought from the CMP & converted into a repeater by Jonathan Elrod. I put a Benchmark 3-groove, 1-16.5tw bbl on it, doing things pretty much the same as I had for the Krieger. Neither one of these rifles are what most would call a tackdriver - or at least, not with the brands & lots of ammo I've tested in them so far. But they are a heckuva lot of fun to shoot, and do replicate the feel, weight, & balance of my CF practical/tactical rifles.

I'll keep watching & reading about RF bbl fitting here periodically - not because I want to do more RF rifles for other shooters, but mostly because I know there's got to be a lot more to getting a 22RF bbl to shoot really well, and I'd like to do at least one that shoots really, really well before I hang it up.

I have one of the original turbos with all the work done by Mr Gordon Eck. It is a better rifle than I am a shooter. I recently had a 2500X action built. It is a quality piece of machining. You can't go wrong with the 2500X. I personally could care less what Mr. Calfee says about them.

Uh-huh...sure you know better than Calfee...by the way,it's couldn't care less,not could...no offense,just an observation.

I am not going to argue with you over who knows more! What I do know from being there and seeing it firsthand is that 2500X guns have beat some of Calfees best guns in matches I have attended. I would think that goes a way towards proving that the 2500X action deserves more credit than Calfee gives it.

I am not going to argue with you over who knows more! What I do know from being there and seeing it firsthand is that 2500X guns have beat some of Calfees best guns in matches I have attended. I would think that goes a way towards proving that the 2500X action deserves more credit than Calfee gives it.

I would argue the shooter outshot the other shooter as several actions are capable of winning...just didn't see the need to post about not caring what Calfee said...when I see your built guns outshoot Calfee's,I'll listen. Oh,and I wish I had been there to see it first hand...I'm new to this sport.

I will agree with you Mr Stump that the shooter makes a difference. Both guns had some of the best shooters in the country behind them. On another day the results are probably reversed. The problem I have is with Mr.Calfee making blanket statements as to the quality or capabilities of the 2500X action. I haven't been at this for a lot of years myself. As to the results they were at the swamp. Actually on two occasions neither the 2500X or the Calfee guns won. An Anschutz did.
As to my gun beating a Calfee gun there is no doubt that the shooters using the Calfee guns have much more experience than I have. That doesn't make my gun incapable of beating them, just means I have to get better.

Last edited:
Friend Calfee is an opinionated son of a gun,yes he is! It's just that I've watched people bash Calfee,love or hate his opinions since about 1999,I confess to jumping conclusion when folks pick on my old friend. Hell,back in the day I have out shot my old Calfee gun with my K.C. smithed Rem Mod 37,but not consistently! Anyways,glad to meet ya',forgive my rudeness!

Uh-huh...sure you know better than Calfee...by the way,it's couldn't care less,not could...no offense,just an observation.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=could+care+less+meaning&*

Sorry but you are incorrect as well about that,and maybe other things btw :)

My thoughts are any action when properly prepared and given a barrel manufactured and chambered properly on any given day can beat any other given rifle.It is for the most part about the barrel and the ammo,along with the Indian behind the arrow IMHO

No sir Mr Stump. I did not take it as rudeness. When I first started in this sport I bought his book and read it from cover to cover several times. I thought that he had all the answers. Over several years I did notice how opinionated he is. The problem for me became when his opinion ran contrary to what I knew as facts. At that point his status as one of the best rimfire gunsmiths of all time began to lose some of its luster.
Everyone has an opinion on things, however there is a difference between stating something as opinion and stating it as a fact for the record.
Hope your shooting goes well. I know that I have lots of work to do to be competitive with some of the very best.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=could+care+less+meaning&*

Sorry but you are incorrect as well about that,and maybe other things btw :)

My thoughts are any action when properly prepared and given a barrel manufactured and chambered properly on any given day can beat any other given rifle.It is for the most part about the barrel and the ammo,along with the Indian behind the arrow IMHO

I looked up your link Tommy...I was and am still correct. If a person COULD care less that indicates some degree of concern or care left to be found...I COULDN'T care less! And I think you said what I said,many actions out there capable of winning given proper barrel,chamber,ammo and Indian. As for ME being wrong on one or some things? Blasphemy sir!

No sir Mr Stump. I did not take it as rudeness. When I first started in this sport I bought his book and read it from cover to cover several times. I thought that he had all the answers. Over several years I did notice how opinionated he is. The problem for me became when his opinion ran contrary to what I knew as facts. At that point his status as one of the best rimfire gunsmiths of all time began to lose some of its luster.
Everyone has an opinion on things, however there is a difference between stating something as opinion and stating it as a fact for the record.
Hope your shooting goes well. I know that I have lots of work to do to be competitive with some of the very best.

I agree very,very much with you "Batman",just saw a bit of Calfee bashing,percieved I'm sure. Thank you for wishes in my shooting endeavors,but my rimfire br days are mostly past...I've come and gone here...just stop by on occasion to "troll"! Good luck in your endeavors sir.

I looked up your link Tommy...I was and am still correct. If a person COULD care less that indicates some degree of concern or care left to be found...I COULDN'T care less! And I think you said what I said,many actions out there capable of winning given proper barrel,chamber,ammo and Indian. As for ME being wrong on one or some things? Blasphemy sir!

Well 1 thing is for sure about you and Calfee,you think a lot about your own opinions being correct and frankly my deer I don't give a d*** and could care less,;)

Last edited:
Well 1 thing is for sure about you and Calfee,you think a lot about your own opinions being correct and frankly I don't give a d*** and could care less,;)

Well,when ya' know what ya' know,know what I mean? But glad you have some degree of care left in ya'!:p

Back