Custom Actions with Bottom Drop or Eject

cruisor

Hello,

I'm wanting to build myself a rifle to shoot for score. It'll be a 30BR rifle btw.

Of all the custom actions which of them offer Bottom Drop or Eject slots.

For those of you who have experience using them what is your opinion on the reliability on this feature.

What I'm wanting is a way to keep my brass off the ground when I eject it.

This will be first built for myself so I'm trying to see that I've built a rifle that suits me. I'll have some other questions later as I progress. I've saved up enough to hopefully acquire the action and then work from there.

Regards to all who answer.

Lee

Jim Borden makes a drop port action. He has a web site also. Or give him a call. If you can afford it have him build you a rifle. I don,t have any experience with a drop port. I have a friend that has a rifle with a Borden drop port action and just loves the thing.

John

Last edited:
Concerning the reliability...When the drop port action was first shown at the Super Shoot, I tried my best to get it to fail. It would not! I fooled with it for quite a while and it dropped the case out each and every time. Slow, fast...didn't matter.

That said, you can adjust your ejector spring such that the case just falls out...or...you can have it such that you remove the case by hand. Whatever floats your boat!

custom actions with bottom drop port or eject.

Jerry Stiller invent the thing.

stiller makes a fine action.

I've had a viper drop port before. The feature is nice. What I really like about the Borden drop port is His extractor design. It is not a sako extractor with the mechanism installed on the surface of the bolt body. The out come of this is the extractor is outside the action when cycled closed with the potential to fly in your face if it were to fail. Borders extractor is inside the bolt face

https://bordenrifles.com/tag/drop-port/

Drop Port

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Both of the actions mentioned will be considered for this build. I really like the "try to get it to fail" test Wilbur. Says it's proven design for sure. I look forward to further comments if offered.

Lee

I wish Jim would show a picture of the side of his drop port bolt. I would like to see how the X tractor is held in place, and how the downward tension on the extractor is held.

Last edited:
Jackie if you go to Bordens web site you can see a picture of the bolt face with the extractor. It,s under news on his website and has a video. I believe it is a sliding extractor in the bolt face and his design. . It would be pretty hard to blow the extractor. Just my thoughts.

John

Last edited:
I have seen that. It doesn't appear to be a sliding extractor, it looks like a pivoting rod with a hook on it, installed similar to a plunger ejector, except it pivots up and down.

Maybe somebody that owns one will chime in. I'm wanting a new Rail Gun Action, one of those in 1.470 diameter might be the ticket.

Last edited:
Drop port panda

I built a rifle on a drop port panda. It took a little getting used to but now I wouldn't want to shoot without one.

custom actions with bottom drop port or eject.

I have an early Stiller Drop port. One with the coned bolt.

The extractor is a floating Remington style. I've had it for quite a while.

Its a fine action and always worked with Zero problems.

His Viper is a great action

I have two BAT RB, LP, RE and a Stiller Cobra drop port. The Cobra uses a Remington extractor and has never failed to function. It does however require a little different feeding as the cartridge will drop into the port if I don't feed it into the chamber a bit. Also, it tends to drop close to the joystick on my SEB MAX. Of the two styles, I would have to say I prefer the right eject on the BATs, but both styles are very good.

Rick

I think if you get on 6br classified you will see 5 Borden bottom eject actions for sale. Alex has a nice pic of the bolt face...... jim

Back