"Crawfish" Shoot, Florida State Championship

William Smith

All,
The cure for Cabin Fever is just around the corner, so start prepping for the Season kick-off at Gateway Rifle and Pistol Club, Jacksonville Fl. This year's season opener will begin with open practice on the 31st of March, 7am till 5pm. We will start the draw for benches for the Sporter Championship at 3pm Thursday and cease at 8:am on 1 April. Sporter Match will begin at 9am Friday April 1st, lunch will be provided by Firehouse Subs. We will draw for benches at 3:pm April 1st for the 3 Gun Yards match and end at 8am on April 2nd. The Yards match commence at 9am, after which, we will have our Shrimp and Crawfish feast and drawing for door prizes. We will draw for benches for the 3 gun meters match at 3pm and end drawing at 7:30 on April 3rd. The 3 gun Meters match will begin at 8:am so as to give our travelers an early start home. Please give me a heads-up if you plan to attend so that I can ensure we have enough food, water, and soda on hand. Also, contact me if you want a tent space, it will be first come, first serve basis. If you have special needs or requirements please let me know so that arrangements can and will be made.
Additional Info:
Scales will be available
One competitor will have his/her entry fee returned
Plaques will be awarded for 3 positions, all three matches, to include 2 gun and 3 gun winners.
We will have a table for Swap meet items.
Free coffee, water, and soda
Motel Info:
The Hospitality Inn has once again provided us with a lowered rate of $59 per night, they have also arranged for an early free breakfast so you can get to the range on time. A 10 minute drive away.
Phone # 904-777-5700, Jane Miller Mgr.
Contact Info
Bill Smith, Match Director
Cell-904-534-1219
Hm. 904-276-1008
E-mail- usnwls@att.net
Please give me a call if you need directions or any other info. I look forward to seeing a good turn out to start the Season off.
V/R, Bill

A Right of Passage for Rimfire Benchrest

I will be down on Wednesday & stay thru Sunday - I will Camp at the Range.
For the last 15 years the Crawfish has been a Tradition for me that I do not want to miss!! :D
Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
Crawfish

Glad you are going to make the journey Ted, we're going to have a good one. Drag some more of the shooters from the snow packed north. Grab ole Tim, he may enjoy some southern hospitality? Drive safe, see ya soon.
Thumper

Crawfish

Hey Guys and Gals, we are 2 weeks away from the Florida State Championship, first big match of the season, and I need a "good" head count so that all the arrangements can be made for food and drink especially! Please take a minute and give me a shout. We plan to have good weather so pack your shorts and T-shirts and head on down. See ya on the range. Thumper

Two more for sure

Mike Cameron and I will make it. I don't know if Emery Smith will or not because of turkey season. How about you Evans Wood - that Sporter wants to shoot I know.
Bob Collins

Emery emailed me that he is coming.
I plan to come down on Thursday & sleep at the range If anyone wants to come early and set up a tent or just leave some equipment at the range I will watch over it for them. If so Try to stop by before they lockup around 17:30.
Doug

Glad you are going to make the journey Ted, we're going to have a good one. Drag some more of the shooters from the snow packed north. Grab ole Tim, he may enjoy some southern hospitality? Drive safe, see ya soon.
Thumper

Love to, except I just got back from an 8 day fishing trip so I'm in the penalty box.

Crawfish

Tim,
Bring the whole family, am sure they would enjoy the escape to the warm south. There's plenty for them to do and see while you do a little shooting. Plus all the shrimp and crawfish you can eat, and a good time with fellow shooters. Thumper

Mr Cameron Won!

When the scores get put up y'all will see what the conditions were like but it was fun anyway. As I recall, there were only 3 - 250 shot in total, mebby 4.

Pete

Last edited:
It was a wild one today!

Just wait until the scores are posted! Lowest scores I have seen at a match, to date.

Pete

Crawfish Shoot

Well, the Crawfish has come and gone for another year and our Season has officially began, and let me tell you it started with a bang, for sure! Winds for Fridays Sporter match were switchy and even unreadable at times, temps in the low 80's. Saturday brought the big surprise though-----rain, and I mean rain, in fact, so much water fell that it had no place to go. Therefore we sloshed thru it, and trooped on, and tested the new rain resistant targets---the jury is still out on that one! Then, today, yup, we had wind, and I truly mean wind, some of the lowest scores I've seen in quite a few years. Results, have been sent in and should be posted in the next day or so, but I would like to congratulate all of the winners, new shooters, and our new Champion Junior, Richard P. Hartnett. The young lad gave a bunch of us old timers a run for our money and we expect great things from him in the future. Good food, good fun, good people, and some fine shooting, it just don't get better than that. I personally would like to say a big "Thank you" to all who helped me get thru all the little trials that a big shoot bring. Steve Lloyd and Pete Wass for doing the scoring for us, Hugh McCombs, who ran targets for us, Referees, John Spafford, Bill Schertz, Bob Collins, Gerald Higdon, Ted Derivan, Jim Pherson, Mike Cameron, Doug Weeter, and Bob Pekaar. Also thanks to Doug Weeter for his computer work for us. A special Thanks to Mike Cameron for re-teaching me basic math. Thanks to all who provided that special encouragement and support to get us into the season with great expectations for a great year.
V/R, Bill AKA Thumper

Thanks Bill Great Match

Great Friends, Food & Ugly Wind!!

Unofficial 6 Gun
1st Mike Cameron 1483
2nd Steve Lloyd 1477
3rd Bob Collins 1471
4th Bill Schertz 1466
5th Pete Wass 1465

Back