cost

here is another ?given a budget of 3000$ what would you look at and buy in a used br rifle.i have 2 scopes,both leapould ,1 is 24 x the other a 36 from late 70s.i have lones dies and a wilson seater..a
i am shooting for a 6 mm ppc.i have 60 casdes of the old 220 and 20 from sako.i also have a expander die for 6 mm.have about 300 bullets from berger and 200 from hart.i sot a lv just for fun in 6 mm ppc and got most of my gear then got rid of the rifle about 8 years ago. it was a sleeved xp100 with a hart barrel and a mcmillion stock.this is the money i have at present over the next 12 months to work with.
gary

Step one, sell both scopes, use the funds to help purchase a newer scope.....42/45x or so.

here is another ?given a budget of 3000$ what would you look at and buy in a used br rifle.i have 2 scopes,both leapould ,1 is 24 x the other a 36 from late 70s.i have lones dies and a wilson seater..a
i am shooting for a 6 mm ppc.i have 60 casdes of the old 220 and 20 from sako.i also have a expander die for 6 mm.have about 300 bullets from berger and 200 from hart.i sot a lv just for fun in 6 mm ppc and got most of my gear then got rid of the rifle about 8 years ago. it was a sleeved xp100 with a hart barrel and a mcmillion stock.this is the money i have at present over the next 12 months to work with.
gary

Last edited:
Gary,
I would call Bob White at Shooter's Corner (contact info on the internet).Look for a used Panda in the $2000 range, jug of powder, 1000 good BR bullets(Barts). You can use the Leup 36x or trade it and the 24x for a Leup 40 or 45x with Bob. You might end up with enough $ left over for a new barrel.
Good Luck, Have Fun
Joel

JOEL,
I was thinking, why start with an unknown used scope..??
Why not start with a known and work on the load.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Gary,
I would call Bob White at Shooter's Corner (contact info on the internet).Look for a used Panda in the $2000 range, jug of powder, 1000 good BR bullets(Barts). You can use the Leup 36x or trade it and the 24x for a Leup 40 or 45x with Bob. You might end up with enough $ left over for a new barrel.
Good Luck, Have Fun
Joel

Sell the scopes and get something newer. If your set on using your scope sell the 24 and send the 36 to Leupold and have it ck. Next call bob white and talk to him about what your looking for. See if he has what you want, if you have enough left over spend that on a new barrel or barrels. If you want new there is plenty of good gunsmiths that can build you a new gun but that can take as much as 6 months to a year or more, and only the gunsmith that’s going to build your gun can tell you how much that will cost you.

Last edited:
Another + for Bob White. I go to his shop about once a month and he always has interesting things there and as pointed out, will be happy to talk to you on the phone and make recommendations. If you E-mail him, it will usually be Edna, his wife (and shooter) that will answer you.

shooterscnr at sign optonline dot net

Bob

Gary,

Getting a good rifle is not that difficult. Getting one around where you live may or may not be, but for sure no one can help if you don't post, "Where Around Were You Live" happens to be.

Bob

3 K is enough to buy a decent rifle. Theres one for sale at accurate shooter for $2250 or so. Modern and up to date . The leupolds are still under warranty.
with the extra you can buy a new barrel and be set. Also theres shooters corner like others have said Bob is a good guy to buy from.
Check this one out it's pretty nice.
Gerry

Gary, it's very doable to get a good benchrest rifle well within your budget. Wilbur has offered some good advice in the past. He has suggested that one buy a winning rifle and that would seem to be difficult. But it's not. I've both bought and sold winning rifles (BAT 6 PPC) in the $2000 range in the past two years. Three of them as a matter of fact. You live in an area where that is very doable. I suggest you visit some matches within a few hours drive and get to know the shooters. You will learn much more by doing that than from the answers you get here. I'm pretty sure we are all willing to help, but visiting a match and asking questions from the shooters will be much more productive. We are past the mid point of the season and rifles will be coming available shortly. It's amazing what can be picked up for a handful of dead politicians.

Rick

Being in PA, you have the added advantage of a vast number of rifle builders, all who may have used traded in inventory and a great number of shooters and ranges. Many of the shoots I have go to (to learn more, not to compete yet) will have guns on display for sale.

(Assume from your inventory of Stuff, that you are talking short range benchrest?)

Bob

Try Reade's range

i live in southwest pa about 50 miles north of pittsburg.
gaIfry b
You could probably find out more by spending a day at
reades range, Fallentimber, PA.
See more. Learn more. And maybe meet your future rifle. Check the schedule so you are there during a match.
If that one doesn't suit you then find another range that has matches and go. The advantage being there are a bunch of people doing what you want to do so you can see how it goes. Hang out after the shooting is through Look stuff over ask a few questions. Tell 'em you are thinking about starting this. You'll get more info than you can absorb and prolly get to shoot a rifle or 2. That was my experience 30 years ago
JohnMill

Back