Cooper rifles-too good to be true?

B

bluechip

I've been advised to buy a Cooper rifle. On 'Gunbroker' there are several Coopers in just about any caliber. Most Cooper rifles show a picture of a test target that seems too good to be true. Am I to assume the targets are at 100 yds? It says on the target, 36x Leupold scope, on sand bags. Just about any caliber shows one hole, somewhat raggity, but one hole. I would really like to hear that Cooper's are that good, but I'm a little doubtful. Take a look.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=157911092

P.S. They say it is three shots, I have trouble shooting a "one shot group" that good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Their website says 1/2" at 100 yards guarantee. I don't know about all that, but I know several guys that varmint hunt with them and are very happy.

Me? I'd build on a custom action.

Greg J.

I've read the groups are shot at 47 yards, the length of the basement range in their building. Coopers are excellent quality hunting rifles that are very accurate. They are not competition rifles but often score very well in local matches. My 204 Phoenix is an honest 1/2 inch gun out to 300 yards. It amazes me every time I shoot it.

I own three Coopers and have owned seven over the years. The 1/2" three shot guarantee has been easily met with with all of the rifles. They are an exceptionally accurate varmint or hunting rifle but do not expect them to be a competitive benchrest rifle, 1/2" groups do not win many bench matches. I am too lazy to go to the gunroom to look at the booklet that comes with them but if I recall correctly it states right in the owners manual that they are not a benchrest rifle - I would suppose that some folks bought them because of the provided test target that they expected them to shoot like that at 100 yds. One of the previous posters was correct in that their indoor range where the test target is shot is slightly less than 50 yds. Think of the test target only as a proof of function and rely on the 1/2" - three shot group at 100 yds and you will not be disappointed, if you expect to duplicate the test target at 100 you will be disappointed.

I like mine a lot and will probably never be without owning at least a couple of them, for a factory rifle the fit, finish, and accuracy is hard to beat for the money.

drover

I've owned two Coopers for almost ten years. Both have been great shooters. Sub half inch has never been a problem. The problem with Dan Cooper suporting Obama is a whole other story though and I almost sold both my rifles over that.

There's no question the Coopers are accurate rifles. They could be built into as fine a bench rest gun as any if you wanted to do away with that beautiful wood stock. The test groups they furnish with the gun are at less than 50 yards and are only three shot. There was a thread recently in which it was pointed out you can probably get a "one hole" three shot group with any good rifle in something around 200 groups. You can probably get a "1 1/2" hole group in just a very few groups. Bottom line is the Coopers shoot right along with all other good rifles, custom bench rest or whatever,when it comes to shooting selected three shot groups.

I own three and they all easily shoot under 1/2 inch with a number of loads. My favorite is 221 Fireball w/40 grain V-max's. As far as Dan Cooper is conserned, I about blew my stack when I read the article about him being an Obama supporter. A lot of people felt the same way and let Cooper know about it....................Dan was forced out of the company and has no interest any more. If I am not mistaken, it is now owned by Wilson Combat.....I was told they make their barrels and now own the company. Again, Dan Cooper has no interest in the company. This is great because they are great rifles!

Cooper rifles

Cooper rifles are the ones to beat at our local 1,2 & 300 yd. benchrest groundhog matches, in the factory class. My factory Remington's & Savage's won't do it. Saw a Cooper in 223 Rem. that put 5 shots into a 1" dia, circle ( the size of the 10 ring) at 300 yds. Can't always do that with my 6ppc & 6BR's.

I love my son's Cooper. Accurate as all get out.
But the 'proof' group hanging off these guns on the rack is deceptive.
Cooper knows very well that potential buyers will assume the group is 100yds.

Always took issue with that...

I love my Coopers and I can usually duplicate the test targets.
I've seen some postings where local club matches class them as "custom" rifles
so the Savages and Remchesters don't have to shoot against them - Guess that shows how well they shoot.

cooper's are not mass produced so thay fall in custom class like the 40x's.
your every day dealer can't buy cooper with out paying big money to become a cooper dealer.

Mine is serial# 3047, bought off the rack at Cabela's.
To my knowledge there is not a single 'custom' option available from Cooper, other than wood grade.

The Cooper is not a custom IMO.
It's not a cheating wonder gun...
It's merely a standard recipe for 1/2moa with light, flat base bullets.

Call Cooper rifles and ask them your questions before you jump in with both feet. I think you will be vary happy. Lots of rifle compaired to laying out for a custom.

Cooper is now owned by Wilson Barrels, not Wilson Combat - they are different companies. Wilson has been a long time supplier of barrels for Cooper and shortly after Dan Cooper started taking flak over his Obama support was when the company was bought by Wilson barrels.

Custom options - yes, there are tons of upgrades however the accuracy guarantee is still the same whether it is the "standard grade" or the highest upgrade that you can buy - the upgrades consist of cosmetics upgrades, not accuracy upgrades.

Many Cooper owners purchase theirs as "show horses", mine are all "work horses", while I do use them I do not abuse them, to me there is no point in having a rifle that you are afraid to use.

In the Boise area Cabela's, Sportsmans Warehouse, and Cliffs Guns all carry Coopers in stock. And there are many of them listed on Gunsamerica, both new and used, which is one of my favorite places for purchasing versus ordering one, becasue you can see what the wood looks like prior to laying out hard earned cash.

drover

I like my Cooper 6mmBR Norma, but don't have enough pills down the pipe yet to say whether its a hummer. I do notice hard bolt lift and today a friend told me that all three lug actions have a hard bolt lift. Is that fact or fiction?

IIRC they have a small tenon diameter.
Probably a bigger factor than the 3-lug bolt with rounds bigger (in diameter) than the 222.

bluechip ...

I've been advised to buy a Cooper rifle. On 'Gunbroker' there are several Coopers in just about any caliber. Most Cooper rifles show a picture of a test target that seems too good to be true. Am I to assume the targets are at 100 yds? It says on the target, 36x Leupold scope, on sand bags. Just about any caliber shows one hole, somewhat raggity, but one hole. I would really like to hear that Cooper's are that good, but I'm a little doubtful. Take a look.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=157911092 P.S. They say it is three shots, I have trouble shooting a "one shot group" that good!

If you want to shoot Prairie Dogs buy a Cooper. If you want to shoot BENCHREST go here: http://www.stevensaccuracy.com/. ;)

Well, I concede to "Custom Barrel Twist & Make" for +$415. That's new to me & I don't know what it might entail.
Could just be non-Cooper-standard twists, that are not different in barrel brand, contours, or rifling.

The rest are nice options, for people pretty proud of their guns. Eye candy though. Nothing that enhances performance. This should not be held against them.

Anyway, Savage also provides non-Savage-standard twists on request. Just a phone call +fee.
From what I'm seeing lately, Savages are more the gun to whine over as 'unfair'.

You get your money in a Cooper, as there is more than grouping to guns. But I'm sure Savage is easier to win with in local comps. -If that's so important-

Abintx's reference points across a line well crossed to 'custom', from anything you could get from Cooper.
To remind you, I really like Coopers alot. But my customs leave Cooper's planet all together. There is just no comparison.
CUSTOMS are purpose built.
What has Cooper purpose built their guns to do, that any other factory maker hasn't?

Last edited:
Cooper Rifles

bluechip,it all comes down to what you want in a gun.If you want to compete or are really serious about target shooting, than by all means go custom!
I varmint hunt and do target shooting from a bench with very good results with my guns.I have two cooper's and two Sako's at this time.The Cooper's are good accurate guns for my shooting,but if I had to get rid of all but two gun's,I would keep the Sako's.You can find these Sako heavy barrel varminter's on the internet at desent prices,make sure they are from the 80's or 90's and single shot rifles.They not only look better they shoot as good or better that my cooper's.
Tom

Maybe Cooper doesn't want their guns sold at Walmarts..
Maybe they are selling guns at exactly the rate desired.
And I think all this 'custom' folklore puts their market exactly where they want it, -well in their control.

If anyone wants to put em ALL down for the count, they only need to focus on and build as a STANDARD, one hunting system that performs well for the money.
Then, and this is the hook, they prove on paper what each built can do, and auction each off based on that result.
Anyone could expect 3/8moa to cost more than 1/2moa, and a few lucky 1/4moa guns will truly payoff.

All we really want is the rolling dice to disappear.
How much would I pay for known 1/4 from a hunting system upfront, over a ~1/2moa guarantee?
Triple, atleast, probably more.
That would be a bargain hunting system where the barrel would last a lifetime -because I do not have to develop anything. Just load and shoot.

I don't know of any builder who does this simple thing..
I haven't run across a builder yet, who cares at all about the end result -beyond payment.
This is why most completely suck, and should not be doing it.

Cooper is closest to this that I've seen. But still nobody from Cooper ever asked me what I think about the gun I purchased. They don't know, or care apparently, whether I love or hate it. Their proof group is pure deception. And so is their CM barrels being coated to look like brushed stainless.
So in the end, they are no better/worse than other brands.
Absolutely un-custom.

Back