Cooling of annealed cases

C

carl hansen

When annealing case necks what method do you use to cool the cases? I have my system but i do not want interject my bias into this question. Your response would be welcome..

Carl
There is NO need to cool the cases by any means except air, the method used to anneal cases in water was to insure that the bases did not receive too much heat.
Clarence

While "yup" (no need) is the correct metallurgical answer, after doing it both ways, I have had better success if I plunge the cases in water after annealing. Since it's not suppose to be needed, I guess this isn't really "quenching." I have no idea why this works better for me. I don't much bother keeping the water at a constant temperature.

FWIW, and not much.

Remember that you might get totally different answers from people who shoot different cases, and both might be right. Peoples beliefs, their powders they shoot, even how they prep brass might all change what works best for them. There's folks on both sides of the water quench fence. I've done about every method I've ever heard of and have to say I decided what was best for me by finding what was the easiest way to get consistent results.

The two methods I liked best were dumping in water, and rolling on a very wet sponge. Many will tell you that they don't quench at all. They will say they get good consistent results. If they do, more power to em, but that was not what I found easiest for me.

I'd then bake mine in the oven at low temp to boil off any water left inside. Just a few minutes to dry them.

I anneal in water then tip the cases in. It's the way I was taught an saw no reason to change. I use a hair dryer with a HOOD atachment (er Beauty Shop style:eek:)for drying.

Last edited:
Back