Compact Rifle Scopes?

M

murphy

Does anyone know of a hunting scope in 4 to 12x or fixed 6x with a tube long enough to comfortably fit a 30/06 length action. Most scopes these days seem to be 6" long in the body, which is too short for my Marlin MR7 270 unless I use an extension mount. Extension mounts work but spoil the appearance. Surely there must be scopes around that fit this length of action so if anyone knows of one I would love to hear from them?:confused:

shouldn't the subject line be "Longer riflescopes?"

Sounds like you're not looking for a compact; you want a stretched version. :)

"Compact" scopes and long tube lengths do not go together. All the compacts I am familar with are shorter than "regular" scopes.

Compact Scopes

I am not searching for a compact scope, I am trying to get away from the darn things. Sorry if my title was misleading but surely there must be long scopes still made as there are millions of 30/06s and 270s out there and a modern short scope just doesent seem to fit if you want proper eye relief. Im 6'1" and inclined to crawl the stock a bit and I still can't get them back far enough, how do guys with short necks get on? Seems to me that this class of rifle really needs a scope tube of about 7". Am I a lunatic for liking long actioned rifles, or is it a conspisary to make us buy WSMs.:mad:

Burris fullfield II 4.5 X 14 fits my long action 700 BDL in 25.06 very well, also Nikon Monarch, and most of the other non compact scopes including leupold,bushnell elites etc. will fit your long action quite nicely.

DR

A solution may be for you to purchase a set of Talley Lightweight bases and rings. They run about $40 a set and the bottom half of the ring is also the base. You can turn them around to assist in mounting a scope in the correct position.
Very light, strong, look classy and not expensive. I use them on most of my hunting rifles.

Lyman All American

Murphy I have always found Lyman All American scopes had a longer body. Try e-bay they always seem to have several All -Americans for bid.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

A solution may be for you to purchase a set of Talley Lightweight bases and rings. They run about $40 a set and the bottom half of the ring is also the base. You can turn them around to assist in mounting a scope in the correct position.
Very light, strong, look classy and not expensive. I use them on most of my hunting rifles.

+1 for the Talley's.

I also use extended rings if need be.

al

To all concerned parties.

Thanks for your very sincere replies, The tally rings seem to be the answer. My rifle is fitted with Leupold quick detatchable mounts and they won't work without an extension ring. Just purchased a Interarms Mark X in 25/06 that has a bribge mount and eye relief seems just fine due to the correct placement of the scope ring holes in the mount.:D

Leupold M8 4x Scope

That is an excellent scope choice. I have one doing nothing. If I get the 788 in 454 Casull next year that is the scope that is going on it. Leupold base Redfield rings.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
To Bruce

The Leupold M8 sounds like a great idea,and that is a very nice looking Enfield. Don't you think it is a bit odd that no scope manufacturer at present caters for these old rifles?:confused:

Back