"Click" on Bolt Close & Open

Hunter

Chasin' the Sunset
Can anyone tell me if the following is a problem that needs fixing?

With an empty chamber, when the bolt begins rotating over/down there is resistance and a distinct "click" (and on a BAT I see the firing pin "indicator" at the back of the bolt move inward at that time); when the bolt is opened, without having released the trigger, there is resistance and a distinct "click" when the bolt reaches and begins rotating over/up, what I guess is, the extraction cam (on a BAT I see the firing pin "indicator" move outward as the bolt is rotating on the extraction cam). On a Nesika J action, the resistance on the upstroke requires noticeably more effort to overcome than on a BAT.

With regard to the issue on closing, I assume the cocking piece is moving forward as the bolt rotates away. If so, is that a problem that should be fixed?

With regard to the issue on opening, I assume the cocking piece is having to be moved rearward as the bolt rotates open. If so, is that a problem that should be fixed? I assume the "problem" would not affect gun handling after a shot, given that the cocking piece has to be moved anyway. Does that sound reasonable?

If a fix is recommended, what needs to be done?

Your thoughts?

Yes, I think it needs to be fixed...don't know why but I had that problem somewhere along the line and Wayne Campbell fixed it. I didn't even realize it was happening but Wayne took the time to fix it...said it wasn't good. Pretty sure my rifle shot better as well but that's like saying it's gonna rain on this day three years from now.

Here's the deal...It's bothering you, so fix it!

Its all a timing issue. Dont know what bat you have but you can fix it with adjustable trigger hangers or time the trigger. Your BR gunsmith can fix it for you if its a problem

The click on closing could be a problem, because it indicates that you are getting less firing pin fall than you could have. Measure the firing pin fall, and if it is not at least 0.220," then change the trigger hanger to increase it. While you are at it, check the spring force, and if it is not at least 20 lb, then change it.

Hope this helps,
Keith

Back