Cleaning Rods?

Dewey coated if it matters. Carbon fiber sounds cool, but at my age no reason to change. Got an old stainless hangin around yet.

I have heard that 'soft' coated rods such as carbon fibre can pick up abrasive residue ready to spread back into the bore.

Possibly one of the innernet rumours that abound on sites such as this. Who knows?

Given all that I find that a polished stainless steel rod works fine.

Using a decent bore guide and popping the patch off from the jag as soon as it exits the muzzle works for me.

* doggie *

It is a fact that coated rods are more flexible, especially the smaller calibers, than stainless and their coating is softer than stainless and apt to pick up abrasive. It is also a fact that coated rods delaminate at the ferrules and it is a fact that this is why I got rid of mine and went to stainless rods.

inspite of poor replies here, the only coated rod i have issues with is a very long 22
cal. all others are fine.
i have some dewey's from earlier in life. they added more bearings and the handle is designed to clear a stock thru the groove in the handle.
my opinion with those with issues on coated rods...they need to get better bore guides and learn how to clean without ruining a rod. using a ss rod just hides the errors of their cleaning issues.

How durable is the coating? I like the bore tech handles but I’ve been told the coating comes off easily so I’ve stuck with dewey.

not me thank you

bore tech coated..lots of them
Several years ago I purchased a couple of Bore Tech cleaning rods. After a short time they started to shed their coating. I called the company to complain. They blamed it on my use of Lucas metal bore guides claiming that the guides shaved the coating off. I checked the bore guides and found no burrs or sharp edges to justify their claims. I went back to Dewey rods and have had no problems since. I will never use another Bore Tech rod again. I like their cleaning solutions but not their rods.

Dewey rods work

well. Have used them for years. I also like the pro-shot polished stainless rods even better, just because that handle isn't so big.

Richard

Cleaning rods

After trying a multitude of rods I settled on one of Jerry Stiller's melonited, .187 diameter rods with a Mike Lucas bore guide. The bore guide has a bushing that fits the .187 rod perfectly. You measure your rod diameter and Mr. Lucas bores the bushing to fit.

Last edited:
Lucas bore guides

Several years ago I purchased a couple of Bore Tech cleaning rods. After a short time they started to shed their coating. I called the company to complain. They blamed it on my use of Lucas metal bore guides claiming that the guides shaved the coating off. I checked the bore guides and found no burrs or sharp edges to justify their claims. I went back to Dewey rods and have had no problems since. I will never use another Bore Tech rod again. I like their cleaning solutions but not their rods.

Lucas bore guides are made of Acetal (AKA Delrin) not made of METAL!

I bought Bore Tech rods when they came out, and after a short time the coating came off. I called them, they would not replace them. Never again. I have a pair of coated Dewey's that are close to 30 years old and the coating is still there.

Coated Dewey's have been my choice since...forever. I've tried others but keep coming back to the Dewey's.

On the .17 cal Dewey's that don't use a ferrule (jag and brush thread directly into the rod), I found some .050 stainless steel balls and filled the rod with them to stiffen it up. A piece of lead 'squirt' with a bit of epoxy on top seals it and keep the balls in place. Makes a big difference in those flexy little rods. Works on the Pro Shot rods too.

Tried a Bore Tech once. Once. ;)

The best thing for any brand rod is a Lucas rod guide.

Good shootin' -Al

Dewey Coated

When I got into this I was told by several of my mentors to use the coated rods by Dewey. They told me not to use SS or CF rods that I already owned as they are as hard or harder than the barrel steel and will do damage to the edges of the lands, even with bore guides, you still will have mid barrel contact. I've followed their advice and do not feel that the rods I choose have anything to do with the fire cracking at the breach end that normally is the reason I pull of a poor performing barrel. But I do change out my rods after a year or so when the nylon starts to get bad at the jag end. That is probably from some of the solvents I choose to use.

Come on Man!

Lucas bore guides are made of Acetal (AKA Delrin) not made of METAL!

Mr. Lucas, I meant TK Nolan bore guides not Lucas bore guides. Like many a politician I was not wrong. I merely misspoke. My press secretary will later clarify that what I wrote was not really what I meant.
Now if you will please excuse me I have to fly to Tehran and help free all those young, sniffable, Iranian girl's hair from the hijab.

Last edited:
Anyone using stainless steel or carbon fiber rod?

Yes. Pro Shot stainless for brush. Pro Shot coated, that they don't make anymore. Carbon Fiber for factory rifles. Tipton has a carbon fiber that is perfect for the M1. I think, 30".

How durable is the coating? I like the bore tech handles but I’ve been told the coating comes off easily so I’ve stuck with dewey.

I had problems with Dewey rods. Too Flexible and would develop small bends. Bearings in handle fail.

Back