Clayton Martin passes

Sad news, it is with heavy heart I let you know that Clayton Martin has passed away.

We’ll share news as we hear, it’s very early now. Clayton’s son found him at home.

He was a cherished friend, we are greatly diminished.

Vera & George

He will be missed

That's sad news, indeed. I'll always remember Clayton as being a great help to me if I had any machinist questions. He was such a craftsman. He was old when I met him 20 years ago. I'm not sure he looked any different when I saw him last year. I know he was always glad to be at any match I ever saw him at, regardless of how he was shooting.

Jim

I was glad to get to know Clayton. Never saw him without a smile on his face and I was always amazed in his ability to keep active in the sport he enjoyed. It saddens me to hear of his passing.

Rob Seemann

I'll tell Glorya...

Clayton was a fixture at Holton where we shot for many years. All those who knew him will miss him a lot.

Dick

I can't believe it. He was one of those people who you knew would be around forever. Always there to help no matter what. Matches just won't be the same without you my friend!!! I an many others will sadly miss you.

Jeff Aberegg

I'll miss old Clayton. He and I used to walk around at Kelblys and plot against the young guys and how we were going to whip their a$$ on the next agg.

We are really, really diminished now.

Clayton always made you feel good. He was a machinist extraordinaire. He never mentioned his latest and greatest creations. He didn't have to mention them, everyone else did. We'll miss old Clayton.

We will truly miss Clayton. He was like every ones's favorite uncle and was liked and respected by all who met him. Our prayers go out to family and friends. We are diminished. James Mock

This is especially a shock to me, as I was fortunate enough to be included in the Canadian group while at the matches. Dining, drinking, and always at the same motels. How sad. It will not be the same without him. A bigger shock will be not seeing him there, arriving with Billy, Alex, and Bob Kerr. A huge void indeed.

That is sad I'll miss talking with him.He was a real gentelmen,I shalll miss him.Ken Rossing

This is a sad event.

This is truly a sad event for the ER and Canadian shooting communities.

Clayton has been an Eastern Region fixture, especially at the Holton and Kane ranges, as well as the Ontario bench matches for a lot longer than I have been around in the game (close to 20 years). In fact, Clayton won a two-gun at Holton within the last three years (date escapes me) with him being well into his 80's.

I don't know about what others will say about this guy, but he was a great machinist, a fine shooter (especially at 200 yards), and perhaps the preeminent Canadian ambassador to the game of Benchrest (Gammon notwithstanding). Few here in the Eastern Region will be able to see a red plastic cup again without picturing Clayton hoisting one after a hard-fought match.

He would probably be best remembered here with any good "Clayton stories" that can be forwarded. In fact, one that I heard was once Clayton and his traveling buddies (Billy, Alex, Bob, et al) were coming across the border into Michigan when the border officer asked about the purpose of their trip. When it was told that they were "going to a benchrest match", the officer thought they said "bench press". The officer looked at Clayton (whose diminutive size belied his strength), who was smiling his trademark ear-to-ear grin, and could only say "right, please move on".

His family is in Annette and my prayers.

View attachment 15900

Attachments

• Clayton Martin (2).jpg
    Clayton Martin (2).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Oh No !

I never thought I would see those words in print. Funny,but I
never even imagined that Claton wouldn't be at the next BR shoot.As elderly as he was he never seemed "old".He never tuned & reloaded "old" and he certainly never shot "old".There was this unearthly quality about him.An inner happiness that few of us will ever attain.Having known him was a privilege and a pleasure.I could tell a few "Clayton Tales" but I wouldn't want to tarnish his sterling reputation. My fondest memories will be of him standing next to me reading the stat sheet at the end of an agg.He would always say "you're shooting well Joel" as he would flash that elvish grin.

I never thought I would see those words in print. Funny,but I
never even imagined that Claton wouldn't be at the next BR shoot.As elderly as he was he never seemed "old".He never tuned & reloaded "old" and he certainly never shot "old".There was this unearthly quality about him.An inner happiness that few of us will ever attain.Having known him was a privilege and a pleasure.I could tell a few "Clayton Tales" but I wouldn't want to tarnish his sterling reputation. My fondest memories will be of him standing next to me reading the stat sheet at the end of an agg.He would always say "you're shooting well Joel" as he would flash that elvish grin.

Joel, we meet some in this crazy world of short range benchrest that we really keep in our hearts long after they are gone. For sure Clayton will be at the top of that list for me.

here's Clayt's obituary and arrangements, nice write-up
Vera

"Later in life he pursued his interest in marksmanship as competitive benchrest shooter and gunsmith. He competed internationally and throughout Ontario and the northeastern U.S. until his 89th year, and was still winning. As much as he enjoyed the competition, it was the friendship of his many competitors that he truly appreciated."

http://erbgood.com/book-of-memories/2066106/Martin-Clayton/obituary.php

Last edited:
Here is the Precision Rifleman article about Clayton in 2012:

IMG_0771.JPG

Back