clamping muzzle

Excellent info.

Vibe:
Excellent info on those taper-compression clamps. I was thinking of a more traditional solid ring, but those you have posted look very cool. Of course, if you want permanent deformation of the barrel (after the clamp is removed), you will have to exceed the yield point of the steel.

Good Stuff,

SteveM.

Of course, if you want permanent deformation of the barrel (after the clamp is removed), you will have to exceed the yield point of the steel.

Good Stuff,

SteveM.
Absolutely true. Point being- be carefull - these types of clamps can do exactly that.

Excessive

I would be careful with these heat shink rings Some of them, can impart as much as 33,000 PSI. You may wind up with bore too tight. Also the expense may out weight the actual cost of replacing the barrel, with a properly lapped ,tapper bore barrel, from some of the finest barrel makers in the USA.

Nothing too fancy.

Those fancy shape memory alloys are very expensive compared to a piece of 1020 or 4130 steel or 6061 Al bar stock. Those shape memory alloys are not necessary for this kind of application, unless you just like high-tech metals (some of us do).

Any plain steel or aluminum will work, depending on how much restriction you are looking for. You would want to determine how much constriction you want in the muzzle, then size the ring accordingly. If you aren't comfortable with the math, there are plenty of helpful engineers who can help.

SteveM.

While you folks are giving all this thought to the mechanics of this clamp have you taken a moment to consider why the folks that induce a taper in the bore with a lap tend to do so over a fair amount of it's lenght so that it is somewhat progressive as it approaches the muzzle? Will a clamp, assuming it works, not give you a rather abrupt and short reduction?

I think it's going to be too much of a trial and error procces of inducing a constriction. We'll be dealing with tens of thousands of psi force to induce a .0003 (+/-.0001) decrease in inside diameter of a tube. But hey! don't let this stop you:)....... and don't forget to let us know if it works!:D

I think it's going to be too much of a trial and error procces of inducing a constriction.

LOL. The entire sport is the culmination of no telling how many decades of "trial and error" so I find that statement hilariously ironic. :D

We'll be dealing with tens of thousands of psi force to induce a .0003 (+/-.0001) decrease in inside diameter of a tube. But hey! don't let this stop you:)....... and don't forget to let us know if it works!:D
But since we don't really have that many square inches to deal with in this case the number of actual pounds required to generate those "tens of thousands of psi force" is a quite easily reachable number.

what i mean is...a clamp bored .0002 undersized would exert a large diference of pressure to the barrel compared to one that is only .0001 undersized (i think). btw i'm not an autority on the subject nor can it put it in numbers...just thinking out load (sory if my post sounded otherwise). and your right about the trial and error thing(vibe) we just have to make diferent size clamps instead of lot#:D.

Step down

Be leary when you attempt this, as you may create a step down instead of a tappered choke to the muzzel.

Be leary when you attempt this, as you may create a step down instead of a tapered choke to the muzzle.
Which will probably not help the accuracy, but will not be a safety issue. Ever hear of a "swager" or "extruder" barrel? 22LR chamber - 17 cal bore. As a discussion it's off topic and is only in this thread as an example.

Back