Cheap earmuffs

Mister Wilbur I bought a set a few years ago. They lasted about 5 seconds. They broke when I tried to put them on. I did call Grizzly and they were nice and refunded my money. Was told to keep them or just throw them away and I wasn,t the only person that had the same problem.

John

What are you doing surfing the net?

You're supposed to be vigilantly protecting us from Rooshian spam. :cool:

I didn't find those things searching but rather I get an email every 5 minutes from Grizzly telling me I should buy something....every two minutes if I click on an item.

I turned registration back on for a fellow to register so Y'all shoot me an email when you see a spammer...Rooshian or not!

Nrr

interestingly the NRR rating of a muff or plugs is not a direct number reduction. If you are exposed to 100 dB noise a 30 NRR rated muff doesn't reduce the noise to 70 dB. you take the NRR number subtract seven and divide by two. So in the above case the actual reduction is (30 dB - 7)/2 = 11.5. So the 100 dB noise would be reduced to 100-11.5 = 88.5 dB. i think the EPA is considering a change. it will still be called NRR but will be a range to account for trained motivated user use vs. those who do not use them correctly. Anyway i use both muffs and plugs in which case you add 5 to the highest dB rated device you are using then use the above method.

The whole system of trying to measure impulsive noise does not actual work that well.

The typical amplifiers do not have adequate bandwidth to deal with the very small rise
time of a a sound impulse like a gun shot, or even steel on steel impact noise.

Bandwidth of any signal is approximately .35/rise time.
A 1 us (microsecond) rise time requires a bandwidth of around 350 kHz in the electronic system trying to measure it.

And amplifiers with that kind of bandwidth are a real chore to build and stabilize.

Nothing lasts forever,

Not even our ears. I have used good plugs and muffs, together, while shooting CF rifles for years and the plugs only for RF and @ 75 only have half my hearing left. At least the new hearing aids answer my phone for me and allow me to talk without handling the phone. Background noise though is still a huge problem.

Pete

How many rounds of ammo can you shoot for 10 bucks?

Well, If they work, that is a bargain.

If they don't work or last, you are not out much.

If you all ready have something that works, you don't need them.

Concho Bill

Wilbur. With all due respect.

What do you value more?

Your health and your hearing or saving a few $$$?

I am ex Australian Army. Stood near to too many big guns. 155 muzzle brake (or even a 105) messes with your hearing whatever you are wearing.

It was fun when I was a kid; - Now I regret that decision.

If I had my widdershins then would advise to use the best protection that you can afford.

And stay well clear of muzzle brakes :p

* Doggie *

Doesn't matter Butch...I'm not buying earmuffs these days at any price. Just trying to help....

Hearing protection

These work fine with foam ear plugs. I have irrepairable high and low frequency loss in both ears.

Trying to hold on to what hearing I got left. There are a lot of good choices out there,it just depends on how much you want to spend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=orsnbr10856- 20&linkCode=as2

Glenn

Custom molded ear plugs

I've had real good luck with "do it yourself" molded earplugs to use along with muffs. Brand I like is Radians and available from Amazon along with a easy to use lanyard purchased separately. Every year or so I get a new set because my ears seem to change shape... much easier to install than the foam plugs.

https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP0...qid=1585062008&sprefix=radians,aps,182&sr=8-2

Plus is the container that each half of the putty comes in, fits perfectly over the drain valve on a Chargemaster, I use it as a safety cap to keep from spilling powder if I forget to close the valve.

Thanks,
Scott

While we're here...What hearing protection do you recommend?

I use jet rated muffs and EAR disposable foam plugs.

I have glasses that do NOT go under the foam on my muffs.
They look sort of dorky, but outside of a single squeal from over 30 years ago.

Two .357 Mag shots in a largish plaster walled and ceiling room (about 15' x 12'
with an 8'6" ceiling) nothing has gotten worse in the intervening years.

I have been almost paranoid about using protection around shooting and loud equipment ever since.
Especially impact type equipment.
Hammer drills, drill hammers, cold chisels, table saws, etc.
If you have to raise your voice to have a conversation I have hearing protection on.

You should have heard our large vibration table in operation for aircraft equipment testing.
An water cooled magnetically driving pitons over 16 inches in diameter that could drive
at over 20 kHz with hundreds of pounds of load on it.

Back