Chargemaster combo..... (a few questions)

S

scott mims

Chargemaster/Loading ..... (a few questions)

ive read over the past threads about this but was wondering if anyone makes the battery pack still or a "up to date" how to version of it (what scares me about this way is im bad about making things) :) .

again i know this has been covered before but this is for yall that takes it to a match (loading outside not in camper). what should someone expect out of it outside? any info would be nice............ also please dont forget about the battery pack info.

also for those that has one, how many kept their regular powder measure or do you use the chargemaster and nothing else?
also how many just use a scale WITH their powder measure instead of a chargemaster and/or how many just use a powder measure WITHOUT a scale?

thanks
scott

Last edited:
Scott, first

ive read over the past threads about this but was wondering if anyone makes the battery pack still or a "up to date" how to version of it (what scares me about this way is im bad about making things) :) . im thinking about getting a chargemaster to take to matches.

again i know this has been covered before but this is for yall that takes it to a match (loading outside not in camper). what can i expect from one. any info would be nice............ also please dont forget about the battery pack info.

also for those that has one, how many kept their regular powder measure or do you use the chargemaster and nothing else?
also how many just use a scale WITH their powder measure instead of a chargemaster and/or how many just use a powder measure WITHOUT a scale?

thanks
scott

let me say I do not use a Chargemaster. But the battery packs I have seen used are the emergency jump start packs that are available at virtually all auto parts stores and farm stores. Someone else will have to chime in on the use of the critter.

David

Battery Pack

The Chargemaster runs on 12v DC, the same as your car. Like David said any auto jump start box will run it. If you want to make a battery pack Radio Shack has a device to attach D cell batterys together to make 12v DC. They also sell the pigtail wire to plug into your existing port on the scale. It is really not hard to do it either way. Good Luck

All my best,

Al

Take a deep (or deeper breath) and think about it some more. I don't know what's winning and you do...but think about it...before you buy.

Whatever you decide, keep your powder measure!

The Chargemaster is better on all accounts if you believe exact weight is better. How could anyone argue that!

It does take a little longer to use and there's a wind factor and I don't know what else.....

Thing is, I kept getting beat by folks that didn't have a Chargemaster! On the other hand, I beat some folks that were using such a powder device. Soooo...I thought, perhaps to myself, that ain't something I need.

And...thinking about what I wrote, I'm sure I was beaten by somebody that weighed powder somewhere along the line and blocked it out.

Last edited:
Scott, several of us have used the Chargemasters regularly since they came out in 2005, and without a hitch.

As to remote power, according to Don Legg Jr at RCBS the unit will work on anywhere between 8VDC and 16 VDC, so there are a bunch of battery packs at auto part stores for under $60 that work fine.

But as Chief Cook says keep your measure too. I even carry a spare Chargemaster too!

Chargemaster

Tsingleton, Scott

First, your link won't open.

Second, you need to update the perameters in the settings of your Chargemaster to better load 6mm PPC. There is another forum on this site that will tell you how to do it in detail. The settings came from Don Legg at RCBS and work waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the standard settings. Search Chargemaster update on here or ask Wilbur where it is.

Have fun,

Al

this is what i use...

i bought a 12V sealed cell battery (actually have 2 now), and a jumper cable. you can take your power supply to an electronics store and they can help find the correct size plug.

also, check your plug on the power supply to find which is pos and neg and make sure you get the jumper leades labeled correctly. It definitely matters. ask Ronnie Cheek about that.

a battery of this size will last for several 2 day matches without charging.

would love to have one, BUT if someone could find a accurate digital scale to check your thrown charges from your powder measure wouldnt it be the same thing? but it seems like doing it that way would take even more time (especially when you find a throw that is off). it just seems like the wind would affect the reading on any scale...................... looks like i will just have to buy a camper so i can use a scale :) :) :)

Camper

Scott, et al

I like the "buy a camper" idea, I'm an RV dealer LOL.

A box, even a cardboard one with one open side will take out the wind problem.

The bigger problem is other people reloading on the same bench with presses banging and the bench or table vibrating.

Also, get a straw at McDonalds, perfect size, and cut it about 3/4 in long and serate the end and put it in the end of the tube where the powder comes out sticking out about 1/8 in.

The Chargemaster has to be balls ass level to work right, it's an industry term, LOL.

Al

Battery Pack

Scott,
Shinny Shinglock make a battery pack that holds 8 D cell batteries that works great. I have been using mine for about three months now without replacing the batteries. I think he sells them for about $30.00

I do not have any information as to what is correct (that I can remember off the top of my head) but if you build a battery pack, it is very important to get the positive and negative terminals connected to the correct parts of the plug. Do any of you have information about the correct method for doing this? I seem to remember reading that someone who got it wrong, damaged his unit.

the different ways i have seen over the years of handling powder:
1) just throw powder from powder measure
2) throw powder from powder measure and weigh it on scale (digital or balance beam)
3) preload rounds before you come to the match
4) preload vials of different weights and make changes as needed.
5) chargemaster

the only one i have done is #1.
to me its seems like being as consistent from throw to throw / charge to charge ever how you want to say it is what its all about. if you want to load 29 grains and you are getting 28.9 or what ever as long as they are the same seems more important than getting exactly 29. are am i missing something?

so........... which way have you found to be most "CONSISTENT"?

Scott,

I have used the Chargemaster nearly every day since it first came out. I've worn out two of them. When I first started taking them to the matches, nobody else was using them. Now, they are quite prevalent. But, I have since gone back to throwing from a Harrells straight into the cases. I still bring along the Chargemaster to check weights and various other things, and may even use it if conditions are ideal. However, I have found that it's simply too slow for 2 relay matches. Three relays is ok if you have no other things that need to be done in between groups. Some place like the SS where you have tons of time and can load indoors would be ideal for the CM if you can put it on a table that you, or someone else is not using for cleaning or sizing. Outdoors, they work the same as long as the wind isn't too strong. But you can build things to shelter them there too.

One method I may try at the next match is the one Tony uses. He throws from a thrower onto a pan and then weighs each charge before dumping into the case. Charges that are out of whack get trickled into or dumped. When you get good at this method, it appears to be much faster than the CM, though not quite as fast as straight throwing.

As to your question about getting 28.9 from the thrower but wanting 29, don't worry about it. Any gun/shooter who can tell the difference in .1 grain of powder is imagining things. I've chronographed several hundred thousand loads and have never been able to distinguish what .1 grains does apart from normal variations that occur when changing a solid into a gas in a 35% to 40% efficient machine such as a rifle. If your gun will shoot bugholes with 29 grains but not 28.9 grains, the only problem that exists is your interpretation of the problem. Anyone who wants to dispute this is welcome anytime to come grab me and we can go set up my chrono. I always have it in my truck 24/7 365.

as far as the numbers go. i guess thats what im saying its all relative. if someone is wanting 29 grains from their thrower and they weigh them and they are all 28.7....... if that is consistent and the barrel likes that load then thats what you want.

i guess the reason i started this thread is im just wanting something that is as consistent as i am capable of getting from throw to throw / charge to charge.

when can some one start expecting a difference in the group from different weighed throws. 2 tenths, 3 tenths ect. say i have 5 loads 3 are 29 grains, 1 is 29.3 and 1 is 28.7 ........... and lets say i have a hummer barrel in perfect conditions......... are all the shots going to go in the same hole are can load differences even affect a hummer barrel? close load differences not very big ones.......... hope that made sense :)

as far as what you are saying about throw a charge and weigh it before putting it in the case. to me i think i would like that. also it would be cheaper than buying a chargemaster. but developing a technique to be fast enough at a match is a different story. also... still.... with a scale outside at a match we are still dealing with the wind ect..........

Last edited:
as far as the numbers go. i guess thats what im saying its all relative. if someone is wanting 29 grains from their thrower and they weigh them and they are all 28.7....... if that is consistent and the barrel likes that load then thats what you want.

i guess the reason i started this thread is im just wanting something that is as consistent as i am capable of getting from throw to throw / charge to charge. last year i bought a gem pro 250 (ive sold it now, wish i still had it) to check my technique on my thrower. it varied more than i wanted. not sure if its me or the thrower. tried different techniques slow throw, bump at top at bottom ect. and still different readings. could it have been a bad scale. not sure. could i just suck at using a powder measure.... sure.

when can some one start expecting a difference in the group from different weighed throws. 2 tenths, 3 tenths ect. say i have 5 loads 3 are 29 grains, 1 is 29.3 and 1 is 28.7 ........... and lets say i have a hummer barrel in perfect conditions......... are all the shots going to go in the same hole are can load differences even affect a hummer barrel? close load differences not very big ones.......... hope that made sense :)

as far as what you are saying about throw a charge and weigh it before putting it in the case. to me i think i would like that. also it would be cheaper than buying a chargemaster. but developing a technique to be fast enough at a match is a different story. also... still.... with a scale outside at a match we are still dealing with the wind ect..........

I'm not sure why, but powder throwers are not all created equal, even within same brands. Some will throw better than others all the time, some will throw certain kinds of powder better than others, and some just plain can't keep anything under .3 grain. Your method can affect the result, but once you get yourself trained in a consistent pattern, if you still get big variations in charge it's time to sell it and buy another.

As for the allowable variation in charge, my targets and my chronograph agree that .3 grain variation in a case as small as the 6ppc WILL show up with some bankable dependability. Two tenths........possibly, if the barrel is average and you're on the edge of your node window. One tenth, forget it even exists. (The threads on this forum where armchair theorists whine for pages and pages about needing scales that go down into the .001 range just make me LMAO! If they're measuring gold dust, sure, get the best scale you can find. But for measuring powder, absolutely not needed. And the reloading companies know it's not needed. Thus they go to the .1 grain accuracy on these electronic powder throwers and it's sufficient).

Now, when you get a really good barrel, and you've got some decent conditions so as not to cause you additional factors in the equation, even a .3 grain variation can be meaningless if you are near the middle of the tune window. Most of the teen aggs I've shot have been with N133 (which doesn't meter very well in my particular thrower) and straight thrown charges that varied .2-.3 grains while shooting barrels I'd consider to be above average. Would my aggs have been smaller had I weighed all those charges...........who knows. But I'll take what I got with thrown.;)

Last edited:
Back