Chambering: indicate bore before threading and/or before reamer?

Start from the beginning and see why I’m not a fan. Or don’t. Another ignore on my list like sidney above

I would encourage you to go back to the start and re-read all of your own posts I have. You are condemning some of the good folks here of what you yourself are guilty of just go back and have alook.

I would encourage you to go back to the start and re-read all of your own posts I have. You are condemning some of the good folks here of what you yourself are guilty of just go back and have alook.

Ohhh there ya' go again applying REASON and LOGIC and calm rational thought!!!

Louis, it's called a "persecution complex"..... certain emotional types are captured by it, certain cultures typify, embrace and live by it. AND, to further muddy the ointment, pointing it out will get you a verbal finger-wagging from all sorts of OTHER do-gooders, mostly state workers who've misunderstood too many HR classes .

I simply acknowledge it and no longer respond with reason as a person hanging on a martyr's cross is incapable of reason, and their perspective is always "higher than thou" :)

It's PHYSICS...... they're ABOVE the rest of us ;)

LOL

(for all of you from Rio Linda, or The Middle American Heartbone, that's a form of HUMOR, look it up)

" Pretty funny that the three responses are all on my ignore list." If you don’t have an answer, than keep your mouths shut.

Mram10 you might want to go and re-check your Ignore Settings that feature doesn't appear to be working for you?

I put together a little data after chambering 6 barrels in the past couple weeks. Here is my setup and what I found.

1. Using Iscar tooling, the force on the barrel was moving it a bit in the chuck. Nothing moved more than .002” , but it did move. I ground a tool with HSS and got much less movement.

2. Drilling out the chamber moved it the most. Chatter is the enemp here. I checked the bore post drilling, and it moved .001 to .003, while the outside of the barre in the unturned surface moved <.001”

1 6.5 creedmoor Rem vt taper, moved .0015”
2 6.5 creedmoor Heavy sporter barrel .000”
3 35 When heavy sporter .002”
4 300 wsm in hunter class .000”
5 270 wsm in rem vt .001”
6 30 br in Hunter class .000”

conclusion is, The lighter barrels move more in my setup, and everything needs to be checked post turning. Reducing chatter reduces movement, and using HSS over insert.

Ben

Attachments

• 23A94037-9A7A-4645-9FF6-530A200715FF.jpg
    23A94037-9A7A-4645-9FF6-530A200715FF.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 8A322200-53E6-4A6B-AB98-40BB2296892E.jpg
    8A322200-53E6-4A6B-AB98-40BB2296892E.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 243
  • CEF236D3-3BD0-4CF5-80E8-7EF89D6D0026.jpg
    CEF236D3-3BD0-4CF5-80E8-7EF89D6D0026.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 5A2E5523-5C44-4B5D-86AF-56AD660BF740.jpg
    5A2E5523-5C44-4B5D-86AF-56AD660BF740.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 360F60AA-D209-4EE4-A067-1A6316924FD5.jpg
    360F60AA-D209-4EE4-A067-1A6316924FD5.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 3E910676-5309-407C-BBD7-9B8C85EAF5E0.jpeg
    3E910676-5309-407C-BBD7-9B8C85EAF5E0.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 228
I put together a little data after chambering 6 barrels in the past couple weeks. Here is my setup and what I found.

1. Using Iscar tooling, the force on the barrel was moving it a bit in the chuck. Nothing moved more than .002” , but it did move. I ground a tool with HSS and got much less movement.

2. Drilling out the chamber moved it the most. Chatter is the enemp here. I checked the bore post drilling, and it moved .001 to .003, while the outside of the barre in the unturned surface moved <.001”

conclusion is, The lighter barrels move more in my setup, and everything needs to be checked post turning. Reducing chatter reduces movement, and using HSS over insert.

Ben

this is why I quit using AL

i put together a little data after chambering 6 barrels in the past couple weeks. Here is my setup and what i found.

1. Using iscar tooling, the force on the barrel was moving it a bit in the chuck. Nothing moved more than .002” , but it did move. I ground a tool with hss and got much less movement.

1 6.5 creedmoor rem vt taper, moved .0015”
2 6.5 creedmoor heavy sporter barrel .000”
3 35 when heavy sporter .002”
6 30 br in hunter class .000”

conclusion is, the lighter barrels move more in my setup, and everything needs to be checked post turning. Reducing chatter reduces movement, and using hss over insert.

Ben

yep,they will move

Ben

I’d like to have seen how you ran the test. That is great to know. Thanks for taking the time

I’d like to have seen how you ran the test. That is great to know. Thanks for taking the time

It’s not really a test. I just collected data from my normal checks after threading and cutting the bolt interface.

I put the indicator on three times, during barrel work, and once, facing off the action.

FWIW, the newer actions, the ones with the bar code, have been spot on. I’m not sure what remington has done, but their dimensional control is better it seems.

Ben

Using copper?

Yes.

I have copper wire in sizes from 12ga to 4Ga and have been kinda' satisfied but have had problems with shearing the smaller diameters and of course the 1/4" stuff is rough to deal with....so for the last year I've been trying copper another way..... copper line or tubing.

I figgered clearance is clearance so's I don't _need_ the 1/4" wire

So I tried some various wall thicknesses of 1/4" copper line

VICTORY!

1/2" long hunk of 1/4" copper line, thread it onto a 6-8" long piece of twist-tie wire ("bread bag twistie", "tomato tie wire") and use it over and over. NEVER moves, rock solid, and when you need a new one, it takes about 3 minutes to make one.

Best Ever

Plus it can't hook your sleeve nor nick your knuckle

Yes.

I have copper wire in sizes from 12ga to 4Ga and have been kinda' satisfied but have had problems with shearing the smaller diameters and of course the 1/4" stuff is rough to deal with....so for the last year I've been trying copper another way..... copper line or tubing.

I figgered clearance is clearance so's I don't _need_ the 1/4" wire

So I tried some various wall thicknesses of 1/4" copper line

VICTORY!

1/2" long hunk of 1/4" copper line, thread it onto a 6-8" long piece of twist-tie wire ("bread bag twistie", "tomato tie wire") and use it over and over. NEVER moves, rock solid, and when you need a new one, it takes about 3 minutes to make one.

Best Ever

Plus it can't hook your sleeve nor nick your knuckle

I'm going to try that, I dont think T6061 is tough enough.

I've come full circle with my indication, now back to ptg rods for rough in, short stylus after facing off, indicating off the grooves. for final. I'm getting more requests for a .625x24 threaded muzzle, and I'm using just the PTG rods once I flip the barrel around.

I was using copper shim stock on that setup, maybe wire is better? Of course, the dia varies barrel to barrel with contour.

Ben

I'm going to try that, I dont think T6061 is tough enough.

I've come full circle with my indication, now back to ptg rods for rough in, short stylus after facing off, indicating off the grooves. for final. I'm getting more requests for a .625x24 threaded muzzle, and I'm using just the PTG rods once I flip the barrel around.

I was using copper shim stock on that setup, maybe wire is better? Of course, the dia varies barrel to barrel with contour.

Ben

I bought a little roll of the green tomater stake wire at a box store, it comes with a cutter right on the package. snip a hunk off, run it through the piece of tubing, SMASH the tubing down tight with the 4-jaw which crimps it onto the wire, then the wires are easily wrapped onto the chuck jaws and tucked out of the way. Wnem done, throw 'em in the drawer and re-use several times until the twistie tie snaps.

This is my newest Toy

This has been a game changer for action work as well as for aligning a barrel for chambering.

Attachments

• Chuck.jpg
    Chuck.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 294
This has been a game changer for action work as well as for aligning a barrel for chambering.

I don't use one, but the TBAS seams like one of the best solution to all the problems people are trying to solve. I like it because there is no way you are "bending" the barrel into submission.

Back