CCI Primer Production

Guys,
My intention for this post never was to point fingers and accuse of hoarding or other issue from within CCI or their conglomerates.
I know for a fact that the BR4 is out of production for engineering reasons, Coy Getman (CCI) told me so. Coy can be difficult to reach at times.

The fact is that Coy/CCI owe me 3 bricks of BR4 primers and I would like to get them for this season. I am just wondering if I can expect them any time soon. Thats' all.

Chill guys, it's cool.

Joe Cowan

CCI, Federal, Speer, RCBS, and some other companies formerly owned by Blount were bought out by ATK a few years ago. It's sort of surprising that there's an engineering problem in a product that's been made for so long.

It may be a case that an "efficiency" expert or consultant was hired, which generally does nothing to promote efficiency or productivity in my experience. :eek:

Bob ...

CCI is not projecting anything. They're just stating what everyone already knows. Production on BR4s has been halted for the last 10 months, because of manufacturing problems.

I'm sure, as a company, that they would have enjoyed participating in this buying/selling frenzy, instead of being sidelined with technical issues. They've lost, I would suspect, hundreds of thousands of dollars in sales. An opportunity like this doesn't come along too often and they've had to pretty much sit it out. What a frustrating position for a company to be in. :(

As I recall

5 to 7 years ago primers "Dried Up" causing a price increase. Time went by and then everyone had all the primers one could buy; of course at an increased price. I looked at the sites of a couple of distributors this week and the only primers they had listed were some obscure pistol primers and shotgun primers.

Fortunately I have a two years supply but wanted to have a better supply than that. The Availability Bug always seems not to work hand in hand with demand, somehow.

Last edited:
cci primer production

Now that they have been scarce {look for some SCALPING ON other brands.
Even the wolf primers are drying up' Interesting isn't it?

is there a problem with the br4 primers that anybody knows of? i've got 6000 sitting here & am wondering if they're ok,what do they mean sensitivity problem?

is there a problem with the br4 primers that anybody knows of? i've got 6000 sitting here & am wondering if they're ok,what do they mean sensitivity problem?
I have a few thousand of the BR4's but they are 3-4 years old. If I had a concern, I'd darn sure contact CCI.

Last edited:
Other than

there being outrageously expensive and not as good as Winchesters, nothing. :D

Pete ...

Having spent a career in the logistics/supply business let me try to explain in simple terms why there is a disconnect between the shortages you find today and what's on the shelf. Most supply systems, at least the ones I'm familiar with, are based on frequency of demand using double exponential smoothing (meaning that the greater emphasis is placed on the latest orders ... in this case high quantities ... and less and less weight on the older orders). If you have a constant flow of demand for an item you can be sure to find it on the shelf. If you get an influx of orders, high frequency at very high quantities, the warehouse shelves get stripped quickly (common sense). As the system adjusts to the new batch of orders it puts more material on the shelf for future orders (unless the system is adjusted to account for an inordinate influx due to say fearful hoarding). This can take sometime and depends on admin lead time, production lead time, transportation lead time, strikes, what percentage of that business is critical to the manufacturer's bottom line, etc., than you would have if the demands were steady and quantities ordered were in line with previous orders. After a frenzy, like the one taking place today, the frequency and quantities drop off dramatically and the systems adjust which eventually put less material on the shelf for future demands (remember what double exponential smoothing does?). Once normalcy comes around again, which may take many months, the system settles down and you find what you're looking for when you want it. It's a shame, that a few folks phobia's, have instigated a hoarding situation, driven up the prices dramatically, and may even preclude quite a few of their fellow shooters from match participation. :(

Sensitivity problems/

Can someone go into more depth as to what the sensitivity problems are? I've been shooting BR4's in my hunter gun for the last two years, and they work very well. But I have been having problems with primers failing to go off. In a block of 25 shells I might have 4 to 5 that fail to ignite. A good strike on the primer but no pop. I have gotten used to it and manage but it can be kind of hair-raising when you have your shot all lined up and you've been waiting 2 or 3 minutes for your condition to appear and...click.

Last edited:
Be careful there

Having spent a career in the logistics/supply business let me try to explain in simple terms why there is a disconnect between the shortages you find today and what's on the shelf. Most supply systems, at least the ones I'm familiar with, are based on frequency of demand using double exponential smoothing (meaning that the greater emphasis is placed on the latest orders ... in this case high quantities ... and less and less weight on the older orders). If you have a constant flow of demand for an item you can be sure to find it on the shelf. If you get an influx of orders, high frequency at very high quantities, the warehouse shelves get stripped quickly (common sense). As the system adjusts to the new batch of orders it puts more material on the shelf for future orders (unless the system is adjusted to account for an inordinate influx due to say fearful hoarding). This can take sometime and depends on admin lead time, production lead time, transportation lead time, strikes, what percentage of that business is critical to the manufacturer's bottom line, etc., than you would have if the demands were steady and quantities ordered were in line with previous orders. After a frenzy, like the one taking place today, the frequency and quantities drop off dramatically and the systems adjust which eventually put less material on the shelf for future demands (remember what double exponential smoothing does?). Once normalcy comes around again, which may take many months, the system settles down and you find what you're looking for when you want it. It's a shame, that a few folks phobia's, have instigated a hoarding situation, driven up the prices dramatically, and may even preclude quite a few of their fellow shooters from match participation. :(
I mentioned this very thing and was flamed for it. Pulled out my longbows a couple of days ago and am starting to get my back muscles in shape for some archery. I need some powder, but refuse to pay $10.00 + over the normal cost to get it. Yea, it fuels price increases.

It's a shame, that a few folks phobia's, have instigated a hoarding situation, driven up the prices dramatically, and may even preclude quite a few of their fellow shooters from match participation. :(

I recently bought 3 cases of primers, that is 15,000.
I was low in stock.
I shoot several thousand rounds a year.
My 2 sons and grandson shoot several hundred rounds per year.
Work will be slow this year, so I'll have more time to shoot.
Buying by the case, I realized a savings of ~50%.
As one who engages in BR competition, when I find a set of components that performs well, I buy as much of that manufacturing "lot" as I can afford.

I did NOT create this problem.
YOU guys that voted this regime in office did.
In your all-important quest to make everything FAIR, ask "your guy" to impose rationing.
Let's see how well that works for you.

Why don't you cry and moan about the "hoarding" of March scopes, I heard there's a backlog on those too.

Last edited:
Well...

I recently bought 3 cases of primers, that is 15,000.
I was low in stock.
I shoot several thousand rounds a year.
My 2 sons and grandson shoot several hundred rounds per year.
Work will be slow this year, so I'll have more time to shoot.
Buying by the case, I realized a savings of ~50%.
As one who engages in BR competition, when I find a set of components that performs well, I buy as much of that manufacturing "lot" as I can afford.

I did NOT create this problem.
YOU guys that voted this regime in office did.
In your all-important quest to make everything FAIR, ask "your guy" to impose rationing.
Let's see how well that works for you.

Why don't you cry and moan about the "hoarding" of March scopes, I heard there's a backlog on those too.

something is going on for sure. I was on the CMP website yesterday. Normally they get 3-4 thousand orders a month for everything from parts to rifles to ammo. They are now getting 5-10 thousand a month with 180 day expected shipping time. What we need to do is get the Marines to convince Obama to take up across the course shooting!!

Back