Case Neck Turner

dbaird

What is the best neck turner on the market? Considering ease of use and adjustments-accuracy-basically all things considered what would be the VERY best there is?

for my money

What is the best neck turner on the market? Considering ease of use and adjustments-accuracy-basically all things considered what would be the VERY best there is?

I would do a Sinclair, or a K&M, or a number of others. At the end of that, would be a Nielson. Value and function, in that order make my decision

Turning Brass is a PITA to me

If I wasn't so cheap,I'd let Ron Hoehn do my Brass turning. I equate Brass turning to digging a grave for an Elephant with a spoon.

To save money,I use a K&M and a Don Nielsen(Pumpkin).

Glenn

Pumpkin what else!

Don NIELSON with a carbide mandrel now sold by Kelbly's. This is simply the best you will not regret it! Carlos

The answer to your question is The "Pumpkin". You asked for the best and made no mention of price, it may not be the best bang for your buck but I think the Pumpkin is the best.
Dick

? on the pumpkin

THe one I have for 6PPC is very difficult to get on the neck to cut. Seems like it is larger than the sizing mandrel. I asked someone at Kelby's about this and they did not know of any size difference. Is there a different sizer mandel taht needs to be used for the pumpkin to work easily?
Thanks, Richard

I went to Kelblys web site and couldn't find it listed anywhere. How much does that sucker cost anyway?

Best of all turners

Do your self a favor. I have turners by all of the makers mentioned. They are all good tools. However the best of all is made by PMA tool for about $110. The turner is easy to adjust. Simple to make changes as little as .0001. You can make the dial and return to that setting. They also make expander mandrels so the brass fits on the turn mandrel easily. Then get a case holder made by 21st Century, it has a rubber O-ring. You can hand tighten it and the case never slips and is in perfect alignment. These tools make turning case necks easy. Not a chore like some tools. I am going to sell my others if you want one of them. Don

The pumpkin is one of the best neck turners I've used, very easy to adjust, repeatable and easy to hold.

Like someone said the easiest neck turner is getting someone else to turn them...........only problem with that is that when you have less than 5 shots into 0.074" your condition goes away then starts coming back with less than 2 minutes to go you fire a sighter to confirm and then you can't chamber another round........the reason the neck of the sighter came off and is stuck in the chamber.........run back get a cleaning rod pull the neck out fire 1 more round and they call cease fire as you eject the case........you end up with a penalty and drop from 3rd in the agg to almost the bottom :mad:...................ask me how I know (and these weren't bought off Ron Hoehn).

Get the best turner and turn them yourself, plenty of people have bought neck turners then ended up buying the Pumpkin, when you buy it get the carbide mandrel AND his neck expander, they are matched and you don't have any problems. My Sinclair expanders are smaller than my Pumpkin.................Ian

pumpkin size arbor

THe 6 mm pumpkin arbor is .001 larger than the expanders, as well as the PMA and other neck turners I own. Kelby's quote to me for a 30 cal arbor was $100.00.
Quite pricey.
Richard

Neck Turner

I really like my K&M. It works great! The new optional ergonomic holder makes it easy handle.

Do your self a favor. I have turners by all of the makers mentioned. They are all good tools. However the best of all is made by PMA tool for about $110. The turner is easy to adjust. Simple to make changes as little as .0001. You can make the dial and return to that setting. They also make expander mandrels so the brass fits on the turn mandrel easily. Then get a case holder made by 21st Century, it has a rubber O-ring. You can hand tighten it and the case never slips and is in perfect alignment. These tools make turning case necks easy. Not a chore like some tools. I am going to sell my others if you want one of them. Don

Don, I went to the 21st web site and didn't see any description of the O-ring in the case holder page. There appear to be three parts to the assembly and no o-ring visible. I have their neck turning tool, concentricity gage and floating expander mandrel holder. I just got through turning 50 case for 6 Beggs and have a nice little gouge on my index finger from a sharp corner the shell holder that I'm using now. Guess I'll just call them to get the detailed info. If it will eliminate the damage to my finger it'll be worth the price.

Jerry,
You should be able to find some of the 21st Century YouTube videos that show/explain the case holder operation.
Don

Jerry,
You should be able to find some of the 21st Century YouTube videos that show/explain the case holder operation.
Don

Thanks Don. Found the video for the lathe and it showed near the end how the o-ring snubs into the primer pocket. Went ahead and ordered three toolholders from 21st.

Back