Carbon ring removal research opportunity

Recently I read an account of one fellow's use of a short section of cleaning rod, powered by a cordless screwdriver, using .30 cal. bronze brush, spun for 30 seconds. There is also Tony Boyer's old method that involves filling an over sized (6.5?) nylon brush with IOSSO and doing the same thing for less time manually. I have also considered wrapping a 6mm brush with an oiled patch that slightly overhangs the front of the brush, and applying IOSSO to the patch right where the brush ends, and spinning that by hand. Do any of you have any other methods that you like, that I have not mentioned?
Thanks,
Boyd[/QUOTE]

I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular so I don't want anyone to take offense to it but I have to say. We've dealt with the cordless screw driver and a shaft and guys using an abrasive like steel wool, emery cloth etc....if you do this your on your own. You wreck/damage the chamber/barrel you have to take the responsibility for what your doing to it.

You won't catch me using the cordless drill method.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Frank,
It is good to hear from a barrel maker on this (or any other topic for that matter). I have done the oiled patch thing, and the IOSSO on a nylon brush thing, both manually. They both worked. I did the former for hard carbon extending up the bore a ways, and the patch to address some at the chamber's neck freebore transition. As I wrote in an earlier post, I tried an oversized bronze brush and cordless drill, at very low RPM, only for work at the end of the chamber, not up the bore, and only after making sure that I could feel the end of the chamber. In the future I will probably do a test where I try the same thing manually, and also for very short intervals, looking with a bore scope after each to try to get a fix on the minimum time it takes to get the job done. What I found out this time is that what I was concerned about may not have even been hard material, but just powder fouling that the normal up and down the barrel motion of a brush sized to the bore missed due to the geometry at that spot in its travel. If that is what turns into hard carbon after being missed by multiple cleanings then a simple modification of normal cleaning by hand twisting an oversized brush, with just solvent may solve the problem. Being a long time proponent of using the least aggressive means that works to clean barrels, I will certainly try that option.

Boyd

I have used a old XX75 arrow, turned to .001 under neck size and a little Kroil and few in and out strokes and the built up carbon is gone. Doesn't scratch the neck,a patch wrapped around a nylon brush is used to clean out the loose carbon. A non issue anymore……. jim

Powder fouling (which is what I probably had) yes, hard carbon fouling not so much, but we will continue the investigation. If you have something that you know works chemically on the harder stuff. I am all ears.

A friend came home from a week long shooting class with a whole fooferaw of a cleaning regime which utilized augers, augurs, chants and mantras coupled with all sorts of metal-on-metal abuse........ he were using a bore-scope, hissown, and fussing mightily as we set down to shoot at my homerange. He was convinced I'd mis-taught him and he'd nearly ruined his barrels by "not cleaning them."

So after working with his brewhaha until we were both in a lather, bore near wallered out, several brushes worn to the nub and STILL black in the lands and ring in the chamber, I asked "now, can we shoot a few groups cleaning my way???"

My Home'ade bore closure device which utilizes an o-ring on a sod-off case, cleaning warm with Montana'r Extreme and he was shiney clean within minnits...

NO MO BLACK~

It's always worked for me........and with the old red BBS too....

dunno

al

My two cents again, I clean after 18-20 rounds so mine might not be as hard to get out. But I wrap a 3" patch on 30 cal. brush put some Montana Extreme on it on my sinclair bore cleaning rod, this gets the loose stuff then I use a 35 cal. brush on my other rod with Montana Extreme after a few minutes to let the one from the patch work. Know gently go in with the brush twist it and pull back and forth, now go back in with a clean patch and you will get a lot more carbon out. Look with your borescope to see what you missed. And to help Stool I know he will ask this is a 300WSM. not a 6mm. OH and a few times that I get in a shoot off and don't have time to clean I just clean the chamber in this way, sometimes the rifle likes that and wins for me.

Joe Salt

Stool you just can't go nuts like putting it on a drill. Some might I wouldn't. I can give you an average round count but I'm not that fussy, when it stops shooting I rechamber or replace the barrel.

Joe Salt

Stool there again figure out if the rifle likes to be cleaned every twenty rounds thats what I do or every hundred. But I think if you shoot a lot of rounds you should at least keep the chamber clean. I think the carbon ring will give you more problems than a dirty barrel. Just my thought after fifty years of cleaning rifles. Oh I forgot when I just clean the chamber I'll use Brake cleaner on a patch instead of the Montana Extreme, the brake clean will evaporates and doesn't run done the barrel. But just enough brake clean to wet the patch.Want more crazy Ideas, I've tried them all.

Joe Salt

Back