Carbon cleaner

F

fishbone

I've read on this site that GM's upper engine carbon cleaner is good for gun cleaning. I checked with my local Chevy dealer and found it is not available.
Because of engine changes (no carbs, etc.) they only make a special tool with the cleaner incorporated that injects the stuff somehow. This tool runs hundreds of dollars.
Some dealers may have the old canned stuff still on shelves; mine didn't. Part number 1050002.

i have not bought any in a while but try other gm dealerships in town..and
if that fails a subaru dealer and i think it was merc outboard dealer...for similar top engine cleaners...
mike in co

I have been using this for many years. I have both pop-tops and screw off lids on metal cans both Pt # 1050002.
The can says removes gum, varnish and other deposits. It does not specifically say carbon remover.
A couple wet patches does seem to push out powder residue better than other products for me. Shooters
Choice does exactly the same with 2 patches, unlike BBS. I paid approx. $2.90 per 16 oz. Thats a nice
savings from the price of shooters choice. I really believe its the same stuff, just different container.

They now call it Upper Engine & Fuel Injector cleaner. It comes in a plastic 16oz container with a 1 oz squeeze section. Part # is 88861802.

I got some GM top cleaner....the guy said its a new formula and does not work as well as the old. Not sure if this is true or not and I don't have anything to base it off of since I never used the old formula. Anyone use both the old and new to see if one is better than the other?

DSM there was a thread last year or year before about the 2.
From what I remember most of the threads were saying the old was better but the new supposedly still worked but not as well.
Try doing a search for engine.
Im not sure why this site will not let you search 3 letter words its really a pain sometimes.

When I got mine, I was under the impression the new formula just came out(last couple months). I guess the parts guy definition of new is a year or two.

Anyhow, it seemed to work ok...haven't used it enough to make a comment either way.

For me I am looking for something that is almost a wipe off type of cleaner.
The more I am in this sport the more I believe that some of our cleaning techniques are responsible for barrel wear.
Just as an example.
Take a standard brass brush and put it into a drill and run it on the outside of a smooth barrel and tell me if you see scratches.
Then do the math,,,,Most (not me) clean between every relay, that is 5 times each yardage plus practice. You run that brush down the barrel at least 5 round trips (10 passes on same spot).
Do that many rotations on the outside of a barrel in one spot and see what happens.
It may not make a groove or gouge but it certainly puts visible wear.

I have been using this for many years. I have both pop-tops and screw off lids on metal cans both Pt # 1050002.
The can says removes gum, varnish and other deposits. It does not specifically say carbon remover.
A couple wet patches does seem to push out powder residue better than other products for me. Shooters
Choice does exactly the same with 2 patches, unlike BBS. I paid approx. $2.90 per 16 oz. Thats a nice
savings from the price of shooters choice. I really believe its the same stuff, just different container.

You have a point, the story i heard years ago was the same man designed both products, once at GM and then Shooters Choice.

vern we agree again...
better living through better CHEMESTRY.....
let the chenicals do the cleaning...

mike in co

GM TEC was the base product for Butch's before it came out to the public. The mix has been posted here on BRC several times.

Hovis

For me I am looking for something that is almost a wipe off type of cleaner.
The more I am in this sport the more I believe that some of our cleaning techniques are responsible for barrel wear.
Just as an example.
Take a standard brass brush and put it into a drill and run it on the outside of a smooth barrel and tell me if you see scratches.
Then do the math,,,,Most (not me) clean between every relay, that is 5 times each yardage plus practice. You run that brush down the barrel at least 5 round trips (10 passes on same spot).
Do that many rotations on the outside of a barrel in one spot and see what happens.
It may not make a groove or gouge but it certainly puts visible wear.

Vern,
Score some SLIP 2000 "Carbon Killer": plug/tape [with vinyl electrical tape] the muzzle and FILL the barrel with this stuff - it works best via "submersion" of the "parts" - and leave over-night. The next AM, dump the "KILLER" back into a container - using the 'submersion' method, it's re-usable for many cleanings - patch-out the residue, and see a shiny clean barrel - very good stuff. Don't expect to see the same result via just using wet patches - the "Carbon Killer" needs more time to 'work'. I use it for cartridges which are RAPID carbon depositors: .220 Ackley Swift; .20BR; etc. . . . and, "every once-in-a-while" on all barrels. It may work quicker - I've been too lazy to test it. :eek: RG

Thanks RG. That sounds like a winner to me.

Wonder how it will work during regular cleaning between groups just using a patch? I dont mean for the carbon ring but in just normal cleaning?

I've been using KG1, the carbon cleaner member of the KG family of solvents. Seems to work very well.

Used according to directions, I found Slip 2000 to have little or no effect on carbon or anything else.

Back