carbon build up in 30 BR barrel

In a new barrel with something they can see inside it with, like a bore scope, they will see straight scratch marks the lapping compound made. My memory sez they use 150 grit to lap barrels before they sell them. Those scratches don't last forever, however. The best Group Shooter ever to live said the first 600 shots through a barrel are the best ones. Perhaps it has something to do with those straight scratches??? Perhaps one could periodically cast a lap , apply the 150 and put the "New" back in they barrel :)

Pete

Doesn’t sound like it really matters then, does it.

Having seen results first hand from Rem Clean use, it will never get used in my barrels.

In my 30BR, a .338 bronze brush wet with Butch's pushed to the end of the neck and turned a few times gets the carbon out.

Good shootin' -Al

I guess it depends

Doesn’t sound like it really matters then, does it.

on what one believes and has experienced. Some barrels' seem to perform very well regardless. In reading what the Long Range shooters do, a lot of them don't clean very much, can't actually. Now, how do long range groups compare to 1-2 and 300 yard groups? I don't know and have never seen the subject discussed.

I see friends using a number of different bore cleaners. Some of them use Butch's and I've seen more of them using Patch out of late. I've been using it for two or three years.

Pete

I don’t see any scratches in my barrels, so l cant go along with you. A 10 power maginifier is clear enough to not see any damage at the crown. And you have to realize the brush isn’t touching the bore either, so what’s the problem? If You want to over analyze things be my guest. I had a bore that was badly pitted and shot the same as a pristine barrel.

get your barrels one of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TTQF24F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Keep in mind it is 20X.

They even have one for pistols. https://www.amazon.com/Borescope-Cl...2-Inch-Diameter/dp/B08D67H7LZ?ref_=ast_sto_dp
Plug into computer with Win 10. Win 10 has a camera program.
I used to use a flashlight in my pistol barrels. Was bored one winter. Used the Hawkeye on a pistol. WOW! I was not getting them clean.
So I now use the Teslong borescopes after cleaning on everything...

they do not compare.
more time of flight
more time in the wind....wind maybe 30 plus feet above line of sight
having said that
bart has a 5 shot 600 yard record of about .3
and i think there is a 1. at 1k that is probably 5 but maybe a 10.

In a new barrel with something they can see inside it with, like a bore scope, they will see straight scratch marks the lapping compound made. My memory sez they use 150 grit to lap barrels before they sell them. Those scratches don't last forever, however. The best Group Shooter ever to live said the first 600 shots through a barrel are the best ones. Perhaps it has something to do with those straight scratches??? Perhaps one could periodically cast a lap , apply the 150 and put the "New" back in they barrel :)

Pete

That's tiny

they do not compare.
more time of flight
more time in the wind....wind maybe 30 plus feet above line of sight
having said that
bart has a 5 shot 600 yard record of about .3
and i think there is a 1. at 1k that is probably 5 but maybe a 10.

No question, Is the .3 after reducing it for the distance? Doesn't matter too much cause .3 is tiny @ that range anyway.

Pete

Back