Can you define accuracy?

The Terminator: "I got's to know" (these immortal words were first spoken by the failed bank robber, punk, wounded urban youth in the movie "Dirty Harry" and I borrow them here!) - did your savage "bench/sniper" Rifle produce those "under 1/2" groups" that day?
I got's to know!
Along with that question I might add that I, now (after 55 years of Rifle shooting!) KNOW how well (poorly?) I shoot.
My purpose when I go to a Rifle range nowadays (and for the last 20 years) is to see how WELL my Rifles and/or ammunitions will shoot - or, how accurate THEY are!
Thats why I never shoot on days that have air movement (wind!) of any noticeable amount, anymore.
I am waiting out the wind right now in fact.
I have two Rifles and several loads for them to test - but I won't even consider doing testing until the wind is dead calm.
My lifes motto now is NO shooting for accuracy results in moving air type conditions.
Its simply a waste of time and effort and components to partake of that endeavor.
Now that you know where I am coming from I must add that Rifles don't easily earn my condemnation as being in-accurate!
If I had a factory/hybrid Rifle that would not shoot well enough to please me I would (and have many times!) simply sell it.
I seldom anymore "keep" a Rifle that does not please me accuracy wise - if I can't manage to make it shoot well then its down the gunshow highway!
I have not taken a Rifle to a gunsmith or Riflesmith for accuracy enhancing "modifications" in at least 15 years, maybe 20!
I have some Remington bolt action Rifles that are of the "sniper" type and they certainly shoot groups (5 shots at 100 yards) of .500" (on days of MY choosing!).
If they were unable to shoot groups "under" .500" like you hope for, I think I would still be happy with them and would keep them.
If they shot groups in the .750" range I would then start to work harder on them - if they did not improve I would consider selling them.
If they would NOT shoot groups better than .850" ever - I would sell them.
So accuracy is a relative thing - relating to what one wants done, how one is trying to accomplish it, the quality and format of the Rifle and the quality and consistency of ones munitions and don't forget scope power.
Lots of variables involved - but an interesting topic none the less.
Hope your savage shot better than you expected!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Back