Caliper Recommendation

B

breh

Iam in the market for a new caliper. I went on line to Amazon and there are many to choose from. I want to get a good one and will sacrafice some cash to do so. I would greatly appreciate your comments and recommendations on the best caliper to get. Thanks for your attention to my inquiry.

Breh

Analog or electronic?

I like dial calipers, but that's just my preference. As for brands/quality, I've used the full gamut. My dad has some very high-end models in his shop, while my loading bench has your $35 Enco special (fine for general measuring). Really depends on what level of resolution you're after.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Dial calipers

I`VE BEEN USING THEM FOR MORE YEARS THAN I CARE TO THINK.....here`s my expierience with them,rite now between the shop and basement there are probably 6...or so.....
digital...... no good/batt.powered
gear rack dial most reliable if you keep them clean.
IMHO.....
6" mitutoyo with white face and .100"/rev.
Now for close accurate work.... I will always put the caliper down and use a micrometer.......
bill larson

I have a number of dial calipers, which I prefer to the digital ones. They are of various makes, and they all do their jobs. None are expensive, particularly the ones that get used over concrete. The thing that I am seeing more and more of is people not understanding that no matter how expensive, calipers are not micrometers, and while they each have their place, one should not try to substitute one for the other. When measurements to the nearest thousandth are all that is needed, I use a dial caliper. For anything more exact, a micrometer that reads to .0001.

And until you really know how to use a micrometer you can make them read whatever you want so thats a plus when youre creeping up on a measurement. I think butch lambert even said you can use them for a C clamp if you need to.

Yes, and technique can play a role in what calipers indicate. A friend, now gone, who was a respected bullet maker, used to send fellows that he was having discussions with, a bullet that he had carefully measured, without telling the recipient what his measurements had been, and ask the person what his were, in order to better understand what he was hearing from that person. That same bullet maker told me that he would measure by feel and then read the micrometer (instead of reading as he made the measurement) to prevent his wishes from influencing his technique.

Hi George,
Perhaps I did not explain it well. My friend was not trying to find out whether his or the other fellow's equipment was properly calibrated. They would be having discussions that involved very small differences in bullet dimensions, perhaps involving some bullet that he did not have an example of in front of him , and he wanted to know that the net difference between what his equipment and technique and the other fellow's was. That is all. Of course you probably already knew that. The mention of using known standards to check measuring tools is entirely appropriate to this discussion. Before I had any standards (however coarse they might be compared to the best, that you undoubtedly have) I would compare measurements of the same thing, taken with all of my calipers and micrometers. Back in the day when I had my one and only machine shop class in college, the instructor, a fellow who had come from industry, gave us a pretty good rundown on measuring tools, which I consider myself lucky to have had.
The very first thing that he told us, before handing out the micrometers, was not to treat them like a C clamp, and why. I would say that he did that because experience had taught him what ignorant young men were likely to do.
Boyd

Iam in the market for a new caliper. I went on line to Amazon and there are many to choose from. I want to get a good one and will sacrafice some cash to do so. I would greatly appreciate your comments and recommendations on the best caliper to get. Thanks for your attention to my inquiry.

Breh

If you're a machinist with Metal working machines,Lathe/Mill,Sacrifice the cash and buy the best caliper you can afford. (Self explanatory)

If you're a Benchrest shooter with no machinists skills,like me, just buy some calipers to carry with you when you go to the range. I use em sometimes to verify brass dimensions. They are good for loaning to fellow shooters who leave theirs at home.:D

I have Starrett and mititoyo.(sp)

Glenn

Last edited:
I started on my first pair of Mitutoyo Digimatic calipers 20ish years ago. That pair lasted a good 10 years till someone stole them. My second pair is now at least 10 years old and I still trust them just as much as brand new ones. I now have a new pair - just because I thought I should. These have been used daily in a machine shop environment and I do trust that half thou digit. I have had at least 20 pairs of these in my shop and have never seen a problem other than jaw damage from misuse.

I have been a Machinist for just about my entire life. I do not care for digital tools.

As for dial calipers, Mitutoyo, Starret, Fowler, Scher-Tumico, etc, not much difference in any of them.

Pawn Shops are always full of them. For your needs, you can pick up a set for $30 that will do just as good as a new set. Just make sure the needle isn't loose, and all the pieces are there. Set them at "zero" closed, and then with a one or two inch standard. If it reads good, they will be ok.

Do get a set that reads .100 per revolution. Those that read .200 are a real pain. Use them a while and you will understand why.

Back