Burris Signature Zee Rings

Joe Entrekin

Anybody know a source for Torx head screws to replace the factory slotted screws that go through the base part of these rings. They are nice rings, but I just don't like those screws. Thanks for any help.

I went another route, tapped it out to 4mm & use a standard hex key - but then there are a lot of 4mm screws around my gear. You need to be a tad careful drilling out the offside hole, but then you can drop the tap thru it & tap over the standard one with a starter tap without any other work.

Just be careful that you don't lay too much pressure on the screw if you have a low 30mm mount. There's not a lot of meat above the slot.

Joe ...

Anybody know a source for Torx head screws to replace the factory slotted screws that go through the base part of these rings. They are nice rings, but I just don't like those screws. Thanks for any help.

I've found some in The Home Depot in their drawers of specialty items. They're in little packets. Art :)

Thanks guys. I'd like to avoid re-threading if possible, don't have much to work with for doing that correctly & have several sets. Ab, I think you may have the wrong screw in mind; I'm interested in a replacement for the cross-bolt screw that locks the ring to the base. It looks like a #5-40 or similar, about an inch long. I took one out & will measure it tomorrow to figure out exactly what it is. Then I'll see if I can find a replacement at MSC or McMaster-Carr. If anybody else sees this thread that has dealt with this before, please chime in.

There is a fellow over at RFC named TenSpot who used to sell hex-head replacements for the slotted head factory screws. He may still.

I measured a screw yesterday and it appears to be a #6-40UNF X 1". Ordered some from MSC, which came today. Will try them tonight and let y'all know how they work. Thanks for the replies.

Well, FYI anybody who's interested, those were the correct screws. Again, the replacement is a #6-40UNF X 1", and takes a 7/64 allen wrench. Sure wish they made these with Torx heads, but I could not find those anywhere.

Well, FYI anybody who's interested, those were the correct screws. Again, the replacement is a #6-40UNF X 1", and takes a 7/64 allen wrench. Sure wish they made these with Torx heads, but I could not find those anywhere.

Would you provide a link can't locate on MSC site. Thanks.

Why isn't ther a better selection

of Torx Head screws? I guess the Industry must be waiting until their Philips Head machinery wears out before the conversion. The Auto Industry seems to be heading in the Torx direction but not Industry. Why is that?

I noted when I use to spend time in New Brunswick, Canada there seems to be a lot of Square Head drive screws. They seem to work well.

A couple of places that carry these screws are MSC Industrial Supply at www1.mscdirect.com and McMaster-Carr at www. mcmaster.com . Copy & paste these links to your browser.

6-40 UNFx1" screws

Joe. I can't find these in the MSC book. Do you have a part #? The only ones I can find that are close is the 5-40, and that's not correct. Unless it's a misprint.

I've been trying to find replacement screws for over 3 years and no luck. Burris won't help at all.

Thanks

Roy

Last edited:
Thanks Doug

I saw that earlier, but I want either a pan head or a flat head like I have now, except without the messed up slot.:eek:

Probably have to go with these. I can always some of them.

Again, thanks.

Roy

I have located and ordered some of the button head #6 x 40 - 1" screws. these were like special order and costly. shipping was 10 times the cost of 2 of these screws. i am looking forward to recieving them and trying them in my rings.
Oh, i also went to Lowes, Menards & Ace Hardware looking for the cap head screws with no luck.

Thanks for bringing this subject up as i have looked in the past without any success.

I have located and ordered some of the button head #6 x 40 - 1" screws. these were like special order and costly. shipping was 10 times the cost of 2 of these screws. i am looking forward to recieving them and trying them in my rings.

Would you mind sharing where you ordered them from ??

Please post your impressions when they are installed.

DougF

Have you guys tried going over to RFC and PM'ing "tenspot"?; I think he has a bunch of them for sale very reasonably.

Kitsap'

I found them online "Bolt Depot" $ .46 each and i think it was 9.95 shipping. I decided to order enough for my imediate needs + some spares. I also got extras to share with others from my gun club & any one else interested?

They notified me they have shipped, when i recieve them i will advise as to how they look & function .

Steve

Back