Bullet Pointing Die

Law Dawg

I also remember a guy named Paul Dewalt that won at the P.A. club back around 1988-89 two years in a row shooting bullets with the meplats trimmed and no one gave him recognition for it. There are a lot of idea out there that never get attention, All I now is pointing really works. And you are right about the 18" awesome.

Joe Salt

Thank you, Jim Hardy=

I am very very impressed and inspired with your answer..
I can only say thank you for your contributions to helping
all us wanna-be's being served with this very good BR equipment..
I will now buy my Bullet Pointing set-up from Mr. Whidden as He
has done the right and honorable thing in taking your ideas
to fruition..thanks again and hope the "Rest of the Story"
wasn't too hard to write up=
Doc Stone==soon to be pointing up 108 Bergers

Who really invented the bullet pointing die

Read this Dave has been building these since 1975.

Attachments

• corbin-tech-bulletin1.jpg
    corbin-tech-bulletin1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,077
Who invented the pointing die?

Curt:

Yep, this is how the developer of of the Hoover die (not the marketing entity) trys to get around the patent -- he can't. There are several ways to make the meplat closing portion of the die. Ferris is the ONLY one who has done it with a hobin (spelling) technique. MANY have tried to just machine a pointing cone. You need to look at the patents as they will tell you a lot about the development of the die.

Last year I received some information that Speedy made at least one pointing die many years ago. Speedy was and is a very inovative and great smith, so I have no reason to doubt what I heard. On the other hand, I can't confirm or deny that he ever made the die.

Like so many ideas, they are not usually original by the time they reach the patent stage. It may be "origional" to the person seeking the patent -- to the extent that he knew of no others and pays the big bucks for the patent search and process to confirm that.

If someone invented the die before Ferris Pindell, then it sure was not known to Ferris or myself. Nor was it revealed by a patent search. All I ever wanted to do was recapture the lost BC from the meplat trim. I would have been happy to purchase a die from someone rather than spend thousands of dollars to get it done.

Just as a little added info: Shortly after the success of the the Pindell die was known, MANY people tried to get a patent. Bubba had the finances, and Ferris had the direction to jump on it before they were scooped. Good for them.

Why did so many people want the patent? To sell dies to the public? NO, that community is too small. To sell pointed bullets? NO, anyone purchasing a meplat closing die could do that for themselves. Think about it. You can easily figure out who comprises THE BIG MARKET TARGET FOR THE MEPLAT CLOSING DIE. That would be the commercial bullet makers and . . . Uncle Sam. :cool:

I can't tell you the number of times that the wife has looked at me at the end of the month and asked "please tell me again why YOU did not seek the patent?" I just smile and pay the bills as best I can.

Jim

P.S. to readers: On information and belief, curt264 is the "developer" of the Hoover die. If I am wrong, I stand to be corrected.

Last edited:
Law Dawg

Yes I've had some Ideas myself but never following up, and Dave Tooley as I now has done a lot for the sport with his ideas. all I can say is keep up the good work guys were on to something.

Update

All:

I had a very nice conversation with John Hoover today. Of course, John and his family are bench rest icons, and many of us have done business with Accuracy One. I think the shooting community has a well founded and universal opinion that John Hoover is a good man.

Keep in mind that John Hoover MARKETS the die, but he does not make the die. The Hoover die does not define his shooting supply retail business.

Now, as to the patent issues. Meaningful and significant communications have been had, and more are expected. I suspect a resolution -- one way or another -- will be forthcoming shortly.

Jim Hardy

Gentlemen, i've been reading and observing the deal about this point up die and foremost i think the key here is if put strong emphasis on the bullet manufactureres to make us better bullets then you won't have to pay these outrageous prices for these point up dies and all the bushings needed to take a chance to see if it works or not that way all these makers of these dies won't be lining their pockets with your hard earned money and you can buy better bullets. personally, i think bullets and barrels will give us the accuracy we need to be competitive that's my 2 cents.

stan

Very few changes need to be made in order to circumvent a patent. That is why many manufacturers don't patent a product. I have an old C&H case trimmer that is a drop dead ringer for a Wilson. Only difference I can see is in the handle profile.

Gentlemen, i've been reading and observing the deal about this point up die and foremost i think the key here is if put strong emphasis on the bullet manufactureres to make us better bullets then you won't have to pay these outrageous prices for these point up dies . . .
Stan, the manufacturers would have to use a point-up die to be as effective, as the knock-out pins mean a meplat of at least .052 for 6mms and probably .055 or more for .30s

Or put in polymer tips.

Both would increase the cost of bullets.

Or are you saying just have a perfect meplat (from the factory), perhaps on the larger side as a compromise toward being sure things are equal/even, and let it go at that?

Might not be a bad idea, at least for benchrest, where the faster shooting makes varying wind drift less of an issue for getting the absolutely lowest drag you can.

But there will still be guys who want to wring the last possible bit out of their bullets & will point up.

Bullet pointing dies

Is the Ferris dies available? thanks Walt

Law Dawg
Can we buy a Ferris Pindell die?

Yep, this is how the developer of of the Hoover die (not the marketing entity) trys to get around the patent -- he can't. There are several ways to make the meplat closing portion of the die. Ferris is the ONLY one who has done it with a hobin (spelling) technique. MANY have tried to just machine a pointing cone. You need to look at the patents as they will tell you a lot about the development of the die.

You also mentioned two patents.Is one Ferris and one Corbin or does Whidden have one as well?

Does the Hoover die use the Corbin method or the Pindell method?
All this talk seems to have helped sales as my die order is now waiting on parts.
Waterboy aka Lynn

Last edited:
Ferris pointing die

Where can I buy a Ferris pointing die????????

The only thing I can add here is that as of mid 2013 when I inventoried Ferris shop for his widow, June, Bubba still owes for that die Ferris made for him. She is still very upset about this.

I am by no means an expert in this area!!!!

I have heard that there is a difference in the "pointing" dies made by Whidden and those that are marketed by Hoover. From what I understand, the Whidden die has the ability to fully close (or point) the hollow point of the bullet meplat, however the Hoover is designed to squeeze the opening tighter, not actually point or to a point.

If someone has more info on this, PLEASE elaborate. This is only info that I have heard from shooters who have had both. I don't have either die myself, although I am very interested.

Hope I didn't confuse the issue.!!!

Wolfdawg

Back