Bullet Making (originally owned by Stephen Perry)

Stephen, there was some stuff for sale at the Super Shoot.
Maybe, you can get with Jim Kelbly.....
There was a huge bulletin board with all kinds of stuff for sale.
One guy was selling all his stuff. Mounted on an I-beam. The pictures were still up there on Sat. He posted on BC about this.
If I had not made a commitment to George, I would have looked at it more.

Zippy
I have dealt with people my whole life. When I get done with them and they get done with me both us hope we didn't screw the other. I used to deal in currency now I am a trader not a buyer. Things work out better for both party's. I'm not in a hurry on these .30 dies, don't want to invest on one set and have a better set come around the corner next month. What I figure I'll end with is a set of used Detsch 1970's vintage .30 cal. bullet making dies. Probably a set that has been passed over several times because the buyer went with new Blackmon's. Like I said this .30 cal bullet project will be for a Range gun not a BR gun. Thanks.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
Zippy
With your short jacket 30 dies you are a Score shooter not a Benchrest shooter. Make em good all you need is one good shot for each target I need 5 good shots for most events and 10 for Unlimited to go straight. Different Games. Different mind Sets. Pardon me if you shoot Benchrest and Score. Both share some of the same equipment but that's where the similarity stops. Besides this a BR Bullet Making Thread, good for all shooting disciplines. Meant no harm.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
Well, that is all and good.
Did I get that right???????
We do both up here in the "Great White North". Score in the Winter. Sometimes summer. When we can get those "cowboys off the range".
I was at my second Super Shoot. I am 3 hrs. away from Kelbly's.
The "IBS Score Nationals" are coming to Michigan. And we will campaign with the 6PPC.
The Holton range has been reconfigured. The "Legendary Holton Mirage" is supposed to be gone. I have shoot group there twice.
And the Mirage is my friend. :)
Someone is chambering a barrel for me........Maybe next year. I will have a 30 cal. for br score.

Stephen. The A2 should be fiine. The thing is leverage. I suppose you could make a handle that has a curve in it to help on the swaging. The regular presses you have are fine for core swaging and seating. The leverage comes in on the point operation. It sounds like you have a similar system to mine. I'm set up the same way.
Hey you had a chnce to work with ferris OK for you. Hes a great guy. I only met him once so he probably won't remember me. It was a long time ago. I remember when he made dies for a few people They were not 7/8 14 as i recall,
He made them larger you had to take the insurt offf the rockchucker. and sscrew the die directly into the press.
I have a point closure die he made, Ferris was one of the best. His quality was top notch. He made a few sets now and then. Most of them went to western shooters. Lord only knows where they wound up. You could ask on 6mmbr .com Once and a while you find good things there. davids dies are a bargain. i asume you will make the boat tails. Right now i'm making 30 cal flat base bullets in the 115 to 180 range. The problem with flat base bullets is pressure at times, The bt cuts pressures down and allows more weight, due to less bearing surface.
When davis

Continued When david made my dies he made them a tad longer and sent three different punches for the core seat and point die. I told him my intentions on what weight bullets i wanted to make. I had a chance to make 30 cal bullets on a set of culver dies. They are like larrys . I know where the set is but i don't know if the estate wants to sell them.
They were ok BUt''' i like the B&A style better.

Last edited:
Zippy" If your going to have a set of dies made for 30 cal don't limit the dies to just short jackets.
A good die maker can make you a die that is longer and some extra punches. That way you can make different weight bullets. You can start with the flat base bullets and later if you like go to the boat tail core seater and pointing punches. You dies will never be out dated this way and be easier to sell if you decide to quite bullet making in the future, They also will hold value better. I would go for the carbide dies as they work a lot smoother and last almost forever.

First time bullet maker needing some help. I am making 118gr bullets on one inch jackets, I am in the process of getting my core seating operation set up. I have run a few cores and think I'm real close but I have a bright line around the jacket at the lead line, is this what I want or am I stressing the jacket? Also the inside dimension of the core seating die is .3077 when I seat a core the jacket measures .3078 just above the base and just below the lead line, after setting for 24 hours that dimention shrinks to .3074 is that normal? I am using Blackmon dies.
Dan

Last edited:
Lead is a dead material it should not move. I'm sure your talking care seater die at 3077.
It looks like a tad too much pressure on your core seating. I would back off a tad. It should stay at 3077 or minus .0001 max after setting.
Its easy to stress a jacket. The lead line should be very faint it should be a tad smaller or the same size as the base of the cored jacket.

Because reloading presses have longer stroke lengths than is generally needed for bullet making, there is always the possibility of modifying the linkage to increase leverage. I believe that Speedy mentioned this in reference to the Rockchucker and I believe that Randy Robinette mentioned doing this to the Lee Cast Iron Classic, a press that I understand has the reputation of being very straight right out of the box.

Lead is a dead material it should not move. I'm sure your talking care seater die at 3077.
It looks like a tad too much pressure on your core seating. I would back off a tad. It should stay at 3077 or minus .0001 max after setting.
Its easy to stress a jacket. The lead line should be very faint it should be a tad smaller or the same size as the base of the cored jacket.

Thanks Gerry, yes I am talking core seating die. I'll back off a bit.

Dan

A resulting "shiny" ring requires an almost perfect duplication of stroke from bullet to bullet - if you want your bullets to "measure" consistently. It's a lot easier to make bullets that will measure without so much shiny ring. Truth is, you'll never be able to prove bullets (from the same die) that measure consistently will out shoot those that don't.

All,
Here is what I do, I buy Charlie Hoods'cores, wash them and boild them in TSP, let set for a day then start to core my jackets. I have a clean hand and a durty hand (hand with lube on it, three fingers only), the clean hand works with the jackets and the durty hand works with the lubed jackets, I put the cores in the jackets with my clean hand and remove the swaged jacket with my durty hand. I only try to do about 125 bullets at one setting. I also have a faint ring at the lead line.
John

Rorschach Bullet Dies
Who's got them steel or carbide Don made both. 22 or 6 don't know if he made 30's. I have a 22 carbde set they are better than the best but that's just me. What you guys got and do they satisfy your needs in bullet making dies. There is a great article on page 177 of The Benchrest Shooting Primer on the making of Rorschach dies. Other publications generally get around to talking Rorschach bullet dies like old PS.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
Too much pressure can actually bulge the die. Be careful.
Rorschach dies were some of the best. I believe Ed watsons were Rorschach dies and everyone knows how , Eds bullets shot. Speedy Gonzales had some dealings with Rorschach. More then likely you will find them in the western part of the us. I bet theres some around in Texas. Now were into Ogives. Tangent vs secant
I believe it was hit on before on this thread. Tanget is to the start of the cylinder and secant } spell is to the mid section of the cylinder The modern dies usually are the latter style.

Back