Bullet core stripping

Anybody ever use deltronic pins in .0001 increments as core seating punches?.......................Don

bullet core stripping

Those pins you referr to in .ooo1 are best suited to a die maker
Like Dave Detsch or others to mate your jacket to punch fit.
They may work though to find the correct size punch on your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder

Has anyone ever tried electroplating a copper jacket to a pointed lead core? I don't know how controllable the electroplating process is, it would probably be hard to get a concentric 'jacket' if the electrodes aren't placed just right, and if you want to do many at once...:confused:
Just curious,
-Bryan

Has anyone ever tried electroplating a copper jacket to a pointed lead core? I don't know how controllable the electroplating process is, it would probably be hard to get a concentric 'jacket' if the electrodes aren't placed just right, and if you want to do many at once...:confused:
Just curious,
-Bryan

Isn't that essentially the "Fusion" by Remington concept?

al

Just curious,
-Bryan

Bryan, the original 25 gr. bullets that Remington used in their .17 Remington ammo were a copper plated lead core. Years ago I was pretty serious about the .17's and had several big cased .17's built for predator hunting.
These plated bullets were available from Remington as components at times (I still have several hundred) and I messed with them quite a bit. They shot as well, or better, than the Hornady secant ogive 25 gr. bullets but not as well as the Berger 25 gr. match bullet. My good .17's would shoot the Bergers into the low .3's and the Remington plated bullet would be in the low .5's.

My understanding was that Remington went with a plated bullet to help with the barrel fouling problems when the .17 Rem. was developed. Since the available jackets at the time caused severe fouling when pushed to a bit over 4,000 fps, the plated cores bullets decreased the fouling to manageable levels..barely. I know when I ran the Remington bullets through my good barrels (Shilen & Lilja) the fouling was less with the Remington plated bullets than with any other traditional cup/core bullet. But in good barrels fouling was a non-issue so I ended up using the Berger 25gr. Match bullet. The Remington bullets seemed a little 'hard' on fox. But coyote hunters found them just about right for pelt damage.

Not exactly 'BR'...but for what it's worth. :) -Al

I had the good sense to quit making bullets:D..........jackie

Hey Jackie...when R.G. was helping me get set up to make my own .30's, he told me: "Al, the problem with makin' good bullets is that people want to buy 'em from 'ya". :D :eek: ;)

I just make bullets for myself and one other person. Between us we have five BR guns to keep fed and watered....and that's plenty of bullet making for me.

55 gr power loct

The 55 gr power loct hollow point bullets made by remington
around 1969 were a plated bullet, these are very good
coyote bullets in 22-250. Not a single failure in 200+ critters

Joe Valentine
You are more than welcome to be an instructor at BR School 3 the next benchrest school in our San Gabriel / Angeles Range BR Schools series. The date will be most likely be the third weekend of April held at the Angeles Shooting Range, So California. You can view the write up we had for BR 2 in 6mmBR.com the Article Archives Section and BR 1 in the San Gabriel Website sgbenchrest.com. Joe you will also see our shooters some that you have shot with. At BR 2 2006 I brought my bullet making cubicle and Walt Berger and myself taught bullet making. The students that wanted to made and shot the bullets they made.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Thanks for the offer but you have got me confused with Joe Valentine of The Palomino Valley Gun club Northern Nevada. He is not as good looking as me and has less hair but is a better shot than me.
I don't know that Joe does any bullet swaging.

Joe Valentine
Can't be very many Joe Valentine's in the BR world. You are obliviously a very good bullet maker. Joe in Reno is someone I only met once nice guy will ask him if he makes bullets if I see him again.
Don't know where you live but with your bullet expertise would enjoy your instructing at he 2010 Angeles BR School..

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

I have been bullet swaging a very long time and have worked out most problems in a non technical way that the average shooter can understand.
The big problem with high tech answers and using high tech gadgets in any area of the sport is they initially pose more questions than they answer for the beginner slowing up of learning the basics.
If you try to answer a question in a simple easy to understand way then people have a foundation of understanding that allows them to go on to more high tech ways infuture if they wish to.
Many people have much knowledge but can not convey that knowledge to other people in either written or oral form easily some can do one but not the other some are good teachers and can do both.
Some can convey their knowledge but only at the level that they operate at normally and it may be to high tech for most beginners.
Home bullet swaging with manual presses in general is not a high tech operation in real terms . Its a process that requires attention to detail and doing it a certain way each time but it is not difficult to understand if we the experienced don't complicate it more than it needs to be .

Plating

Just curious,
-Bryan

Yes it has been done, but they are not pointed. Fusion ammo loaded at Federal. Newer plating technology that others have done. There are problems with plating pointy things from a process stand point.

This is an oldie but a real goodie.
I hear over and over core seating is the key. After reading this post. Core stripping seems to be a big concern
How many core seat with enough pressure to cause the frosty line?
How many just enough to expand the jacket fully in the die punches out with little effort
What type of core cleaning and or etching are you doing
How much jacket growth do you look for when sore seating for a bt?

After the core seating step and rest period
How to you determine the optimal point up die position ? On a 820 jacket with a 44.5 core how much led do you want up into the nose ?

How to you determine the optimal point up die position ? On a 820 jacket with a 44.5 core how much led do you want up into the nose ?

This is the way i do it , not sure if its the best way but seems to work , the ej pin dia. for your point die is for example 060" then that should be the dia. of your point, i look at this thru a loop while holding up against a ej pin of the same size , i want to see them very close in size.
Things to look out for are if it starts to stove pipe it will probaly have a smaller point than the pin.
if you back off too much you may see the pin entering the point, however be carefull because if the jackets are not lubed enough or evenly that could be a problem, too much force in ejecting, and too much lube will effect bullet dia.

Have fun

Last edited:

REMYs advise is good! Measure the diameter of the ejection pin and adjust the die until the outside edge of the meplat is the same diameter as the pin. I don't belive there is some magic "base to ogive" lenght for your die. One of the most anoying things that can happen to you is to stick the ejection pin in the lead core, and not being able to work it loose.. I have tried!

About core seating for BT bullets. It will vary some between different jackets, depending on the shape of the base of the jacket. With J4 jackets, I seat the cores so that I get about .007" of total stretch with the tightest punch that still gives me bleed by. Thats with a .066"x14degree die.

Cleaning, I swage cores with a few drops of transmission oil. Clean twice with acetone, and then etching with dishwasher detergent. I'm not 100 percent sure that the etching really offer any benefits, as the cores are worked alot during the core seat process. But its nice to do it, and the cores get really clean!

Regards,
Peter

Reading this 2008 article is really interesting ,but when I got
to Wilburs #91 comment I busted out laughing , What a Man,
Thanks Wilbur, By the way Bart says use Rabbit Feet from
now on

Reading this 2008 article is really interesting ,but when I got
to Wilburs #91 comment I busted out laughing , What a Man,
Thanks Wilbur, By the way Bart says use Rabbit Feet from
now on

It's A Little Known Fact......but Wilbur IS still The Man

Interesting resurrection - almost as mind-boggling as BIG MIKE reappearing at odd intervals.:D

A LONG time ago, the evening before a LV/HV tournament, at the old River City Rifle & Pistol Club, Mason City, IA, one Jerry Hensler - from WAY down in Texas - called and asked me to bring some 67 Gr. 6mm bullets to the event for him.
I agreed to do so, stating that they'd have, "to be made from scratch". :eek: Pointing them without, "resting for a few days", I argued was probably not desirable. The good Mr. Hensler insisted . . . he showed up Sat. AM, and began his day fixing a computer glitch, then, proceeded to fire the first NBRSA registered,"teen aggregate" in the State of Iowa! :eek::cool:

Thereafter, I never pointed another bullet without a proper rest - "something could go wrong." ;) RG

Interesting resurrection - almost as mind-boggling as BIG MIKE reappearing at odd intervals.:D

A LONG time ago, the evening before a LV/HV tournament, at the old River City Rifle & Pistol Club, Mason City, IA, one Jerry Hensler - from WAY down in Texas - called and asked me to bring some 67 Gr. 6mm bullets to the event for him.
I agreed to do so, stating that they'd have, "to be made from scratch". :eek: Pointing them without, "resting for a few days", I argued was probably not desirable. The good Mr. Hensler insisted . . . he showed up Sat. AM, and began his day fixing a computer glitch, then, proceeded to fire the first NBRSA registered,"teen aggregate" in the State of Iowa! :eek::cool:

Thereafter, I never pointed another bullet without a proper rest - "something could go wrong." ;) RG

Ohhh Nooo. Trouble in River City....Fritterin,' I say fritterin'!!

Back