Bullet/case run out Whats acceptable?

Make a variable seater base that will push the case further up into the tapered Wilson seater die and therefore remove the die to case slop, or remove some material from the Wilson seater bottom, if you have a lathe, and this will accomplish the same thing.

Thanks Don,
I have recently done this, as suggested by another member, and it has helped some, i think my seater needs an over haul! Stem included.
any one had experience with these wilson seaters?
am i better off buying a blank seater to start with?
it still gives me the odd round at .002", most are .0 -.001", unfortunately my bullets are not in the rifling, so they jump some.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Don and Boyd gave some good advice.

If you think the seater is the culprit, there is a couple of things you can try before you have it touched up by a gunsmith. One, replace the set screw with one that has a plastic ball on the end. This will hold the stem in place with less tension (tension can actually push the stem off and will give you the random runout during seating). Two, take some teflon pipe tape and layer the stem threads and reinsert into head. These two things have improved several of my dies over the years. If this doesn't solve your problem, then send it to the gunsmith that did your rifle and have the reamer run in a little deeper so it cleans everything up. Have him then set the depth around two thousands (how far the case will go up past the base of the die). Also, have him check the stem, etc and do any touch up. You will need to send him a couple of cases and bullets.

Sounds like your getting your setup really close to where you need it.

Hovis

I wasnt talking about a dasher. Id love to get that case life from a ppc. I doubt a 30-06 flows much either but ive never seen one of those at a match either.

I'm glad you told me that…… I set 4 agg. records with a Dasher at 1000 yds. with brass that was fired a 100 times. it only needs trimmed about twice a year so it sure doesn't flow much. It does get annealed every time……. jim

I wasnt talking about a dasher. Id love to get that case life from a ppc. I doubt a 30-06 flows much either but ive never seen one of those at a match either.

Depends on the match…… past 300 you don't see a PPC either. A 06 with it's should, sure isn't made for longevity. A Dasher is like a Timex….. just keeps ticking……. LOL….. jim

I cant keep primers in a dasher after a while. How you get around that?

Dusty, Never had that problem, The best primer in a Dasher is a CCI 450……. powder would be RL-15. I never even had a split neck, I took what i learned at short range loading and dies and carried it to the Dasher. My cases don't move much and i kind of found an area in velocity that shoots well in the wind with the Spencers, i found speed isn't that good some times. ……. jim

Back