Brass fit from one rifle to another ???

I suspect it is the shoulder needs to be pushed back slightly.

Also try lubbing the INSIDE of the case neck (actally both in/out sides) as the case could be being stretched a little (few thousands) when the expanded plug comes out of the case.. Those situations will cause hard/impossible bolt closing.

Get a Wilson case gauge and use it on each case.

Read post 17... it was the base of the case ... not the shoulder, and the springy press was at fault...

Dennis, your situation is not that uncommon.....

I buy a lot of once fired brass from guys that are testing rifles at the factory.

I usually take .003 off the top of the shell holder which will allow the case to go further up in the die, reducing the dia. at the web.

Your Co Ax press is not the best for this type of situation. The Rock Chuker and similar types will get more leverage on these really tough sizing operations.

I have found that in my minimum spec match chambers, that shooting brass from other rifles, especially factory rifles, leads to your problem almost every time. The brass when fired in the larger chamber, wants to retain that memory...I am sure that I am preaching to the choir in this instance.

Bottom line, the factory brass in unfired condition is probably .002 under the match reamer specifications. Fire that over sized brass in an over sized factory chamber, then try to full length size the brass to a Match chamber, you are screwed almost every time. Taking .003 off the shell holder, which pushes back the shoulder further, and sizes more of the base, may help, and it also may shorten case life if you push back the shoulder more than .006, which is the price you pay.

Good luck

Your Co Ax press is not the best for this type of situation. The Rock Chuker and similar types will get more leverage on these really tough sizing operations.

Keith,

I beg to differ on this. I have also owned a Rock Chucker... it is way harder to fully size cases using it instead of the Co-Ax with considerably less "spring"...

I can with ease run a 243 case into a 22-250 die (with the decapping/expander rod out) on the Co Ax. It may destroy the case but it does it with ease.

The design of the Co-Ax gives more leverage where and when it is needed and with less "spring" than any "O" press.

I am not saying the Rock Chucker is not a fine press... but I think the Co Ax is far superior in every way.

Read post 17 - the problem is the customers press... and the problem is solved.

Back