Bore Gel solvent or gel suggestions

my jb and ammonia mix (ammonia comes in large plastic bottle...?1/2 gal, lemon scented) is thinned with the ammonia until is comes out of the 4 oz squirt bottles and will get the baked on carbon out with just pushing the patch thru. if, however, you stroke the patch the jb will get black out even if the bore is spotlessly clean, just like it does if used as a paste. the t/c (thompson center) mixed with hoppe's no 9 forms a greenish gel that is also thinned and WILL NOT get black out unless it is baked on carbon. short stroking with this stuff cuts the carbon very quickly! i rubbed a stainless piece of barrel with both gels and noted the difference. i borescope before and after during the cleaning process and noted the changes. i have made several homemade cleaners out of very flammable and toxic chemicals and have to ventilate my shop, but the stuff is safe and smells great! thanks.

I went to the hospital today for an Ultra Sound of my heart. I asked the tech about the gel used for the probe. He gave me a 1/4 full bottle. It looks like it might do the job, but I'm waiting for a reply from the mfg. before going further.

Now here is a brainstorm I had coming back from the lab. Hold onto the laughter and keep the obscene comments to yourself. "K-Y" jelly.;) It's a gel and may work, but no necessarily on stainless steel. And it's cheap. Bwaaa haaa haaa.

Roy

Roy I was thinking about that very thing this morning. I started to post it but then thought better of it.
I knew some one would post something about maybe using K-Y instead of Molly,,,,,,

Roy I was thinking about that very thing this morning. I started to post it but then thought better of it.
I knew some one would post something about maybe using K-Y instead of Molly,,,,,,

I tried the k-y lookalike. I don't think it will work. I forms an emulsion that looks like milk and it's not very gel like. I'm not putting that stuff in my rifle bores. Never.

Roy

Does anyone know of or use Blue Wonder Cleaning Gel? I bought a tube and it looks to be pretty much like Shooters Choice Muzzleloader Gel. It gels my BBS the same and it is $3.00 cheaper than "Barrel Blaster" gel which is made by Blue Wonder Gun Care Products.

Last edited by a moderator:
solvents

Roy -

Howdy !

You're probably gonna get a hundred-million different answers.

I myself in-turn, progressed form use of Hopper's #9 and Hoppe's BP Sovent, to use of Sweet's ( briefly ), then on to use of Shooter's Choice, next came Butche's Bore Shine.

In more recent years, I have settled on use of Tom Meredith's " TM Solution ", for my precision rifle bore's. I've been able to clean my last 2 barrels w/o having to use a bore brush.

For my Ballard-rifled Marlin M-336 XLR, I have been plum amazed by the effectiveness of Gunslick "Foaming Bore Ceaner". THis stuff gets down into the corners of the grooves well. On the XLR, I am able to clean the bore w/o use of a brush ( jacketed bullets ) !

No matter what the solvent, I follow w/ a patch wet w/ Montana Extreme " Bore Conditioners ", and make sure to shoot one fouler before going for record. Works for me.

With regards,
.357Mag

I've been having good luck without a brush in using KG1 and KG2. When the copper fouling starts to build up a little I switch to KG12 and let it soak overnight with great results. I like the whole KG product line and recommend it.

a followup: the t/c with hoppe's no. 9 continues to work. i am using it now after bore coating several guns...factory and custom stainless. read about bore coating with a product made by Dynamic Finishes Company, DynaTek coatings. the ?solution contains .25 micron sized ceramic particles in a solvent. per instructions, you patch stroke the bore several times, let dry overnight, then "cure" by firing several rounds...the heat and pressure set the ceramic particles in the bore steel... .25 microns is VERY small, so the bore dia is not affected. this is not witchcraft. i have coated 7 guns, 4 factory, known to be pita to clean. 4-7 patches of the above gel and the carbon is gone! borescoping confirms this, otherwise i would not believe it. copper comes out in half the time previously required. the carbon ring comes out with a nylon brush and the gel..before i had to spin a brush and solvent multiple times. i donot enjoy cleaning barrels but now i am sold on these two combinations.

OK guys, I'm back on to the gels, again.

I'm picking up a bottle of Hoppe's Elite Gel and a bottle of M-pro 7 bore gel tomorrow. Ordered from Brownells. If one or the other works as good as the Shooters Choice, my problem is solved. However, I'm not giving up on cooking my own.

I think I have found the chemical which gels all the solvents. It's "Diethelylene Glycol Monobuytl Ether". Just saying it within 3 feet of a bottle of BBs makes it gel.:rolleyes:

However, I need to find a chemist in the wasteland of Greater New Orleans area. Lol on that. We have a Dow Chemical plant up river (Mississippi that is) which is supposed to make it, but I just haven't had the time to go any further yet.

I'll be in touch.

Roy

Good for you, Roy!

OK guys, I'm back on to the gels, again.

I'm picking up a bottle of Hoppe's Elite Gel and a bottle of M-pro 7 bore gel tomorrow. Ordered from Brownells. If one or the other works as good as the Shooters Choice, my problem is solved. However, I'm not giving up on cooking my own.

I think I have found the chemical which gels all the solvents. It's "Diethelylene Glycol Monobuytl Ether". Just saying it within 3 feet of a bottle of BBs makes it gel.:rolleyes:

However, I need to find a chemist in the wasteland of Greater New Orleans area. Lol on that. We have a Dow Chemical plant up river (Mississippi that is) which is supposed to make it, but I just haven't had the time to go any further yet.

I'll be in touch.

Roy

Roy, glad you stayed with the hunt until you found what we have been looking for. Hope it proves to be the answer.

I'm glad to know there are others who really miss the Shooter's Choice black powder gel that we used to thicken our brushing solution. I don't think most shooters realize what an advantage it is to have a thicker mixture that clings to the brush and barrel surface and doesn't all run out the bore before it can do its job.

Keep us posted on this.

Gene Beggs

has anyone tried the montana copper cream? I bought some thinking it would be like a gel copper remover. well it's like a white cream kind of reminds of a liquid car wax.
well i never seem to have a copper issue but i do have a barrel that is fire cracked in the throat and it is very hard to clean the carbon out of it, so bad that its hard to get a patch started in the bore.so i dont like this copper cream stuff it's very messy and dries up fast but i found that it removes the hard powder fouling in the throat better than anything i have ever used, i hate to use it, i mean it's messy but it does make short work of powder fouling in the throat,can't really say how well it removes copper.
http://www.montanaxtreme.com/products/?id=8&product=CopperCream

has anyone tried the montana copper cream? I bought some thinking it would be like a gel copper remover. well it's like a white cream kind of reminds of a liquid car wax.
well i never seem to have a copper issue but i do have a barrel that is fire cracked in the throat and it is very hard to clean the carbon out of it, so bad that its hard to get a patch started in the bore.so i dont like this copper cream stuff it's very messy and dries up fast but i found that it removes the hard powder fouling in the throat better than anything i have ever used, i hate to use it, i mean it's messy but it does make short work of powder fouling in the throat,can't really say how well it removes copper.
http://www.montanaxtreme.com/products/?id=8&product=CopperCream

If the barrel is so fire cracked in the throat, it's hard to get a patch started, sounds like you need to replace that barrel. :eek:

What kind of rifle is it?

Stainless or chrome moly?

What caliber?

How many rounds down it?

Do you have a borescope?

Back