Bolt face .223 versus .308

Wm Cook

Hey guy's, I'm looking for a rifle to shoot in VFS and Hunter class. I have a little used BDL Varmint .223 from the late 90's in the gun safe. Could a .223 bolt face be opened up to .308? Thanks, Bill.

The PTG option and the Savage conversion has my head spinning. I bind quickly with my rifles and I have a soft spot in my heart for the original BDL actions. This is a terrific prairie dog rifle chambered with a Shilen 223 AI. So selling it off isn't in my heart. Selling is just not something I do. I have two very full gun safes that are proof that I gather rifles and I'm not much of a wheeler and dealer. So if anyone could explain the practicality of the PTG or Savage conversion my heart would be strongly leaning that way. Again, thanks for the guidence and any explanation for the PTG or Savage options.

Ptg sells a very nice replacement bolt. And butchering a remington action to put a bolt head on designed to get by very large tolerances is not an option in my opinion.

Ptg sells a very nice replacement bolt. And butchering a remington action to put a bolt head on designed to get by very large tolerances is not an option in my opinion.

I like my PTG aftermarket bolt. Be sure smith measures the raceway and you can get a tighter fit. You can make a with bolt ,switch caliber easily. Don't butcher the rifle,you'll regret it later.

Plus 1!!!!! Don't butcher your action. PTG bolts are really your best option here. Good luck and enjoy. Lee

Thanks to all. I'm wringing out the last details on the PTG now. Their web site calls it a replacement for a "stainless" Remington 700. But after talking to Heather at PTG I was told it was for BDL's post 1964 which is what this action is. I kind of think Remington changed out the tenured BDL action around 2005?? And interesting enough is that they have a disclaimer on their site that the bolts are sold "as is", no returns or refunds. But Midway sells them so I need to relax, pull the trigger on the purchase and let my gunsmith do the fitting and chamber a new barrel. Thanks again. Bill.

Back