Bolt cuts on Ruger Precision Rifle

Mike,
There is a bar extending from the under side of the reciever that has to line up with one of the notches in the nut that contacts the receiver face. I am aware of how other barrel nut systems work, having changed barrels on Savage rifles.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...77NAhVQ7mMKHXbrAD8QMwghKAMwAw&iact=mrc&uact=8

Z

It's similar but different than a Savage. I've barreled one. You can call me anytime, but it's a jam nut.

Mike,
I thought about it some more. The thing that makes the notch index is the relation between the threads of the barrel nut, and the receiver threads. I had it wrong. The place that it gets tight should be the same no matter what the position of the barrel. Boyd

Thank you Gene for your advice. Having shared a bench with you at the Cactus a few years ago, I value your comments and advice. I remember watching your flags and finding out that you shot when I wouldn't have and you didn't shoot when I would have. And you were always right.

Thanks Jerry;
Good luck with your precision rifle

Gene Bukys

I messed around recently with one of these that belongs to a friend of mine. We are both primarily service rifle shooters but both shoot prone and he shoots FTR as well which is what he bought the 308 version for.
THe first thing we noticed was that the trigger, while light, had a horrible amount of creep. I ended up having to take about .014" off the the drop block with my surface grinder to get rid of it which actually made it a very nice light trigger, on par with the best aftermarket triggers in fact.
THe barrel is very much like a savage, there is nothing that requires thread timing like a garand, fal, m14 barrel. However the barrel extention nut that the handquard clamps to engages the teeth of the actual barrel nut and must be adjusted to have the handguards sit square with the receiver lest you like shooting with a cant which can be a problem in Prone or on a Bench.
As of now he is shooting it with a bipod only, but the plan it to make front haundguard and mount like John Hollinger uses on his space gun handguards, or maybe even a Hollinger handguard as the forward extension looks very much like an ar15 barrel nut, so that you can adjust the amount or position of cant.

Back