Birmingham 12x36 lathe

Jim Wooten

Just Me
Has anyone here had any experience with, or know anything about, the Birmingham YCL-1236GH lathe? I know it's not a high end lathe, but it does have a 1 1/2" spindle bore, and D1-4 camlock spindle nose. As an entry level lathe it is about the most reasonably priced that I have found.

After MONTHS of looking for a used lathe that would be usable for barrel work (non-Benchrest), I have about given up hope. They are all too far away to pick up, too heavy for my shop floor, of undetermined mechanical condition, or too expensive. Since this is just for my personal use, I can't justify a more expensive lathe, and originally was trying to keep total cost under $2,000. Since I have had no luck with that, I am looking at new low end lathes.

I really want to go ahead and get SOMETHING (even if it is not a "Benchrest quality" lathe). Any help appreciated :).

Jim

Jim

It appears to be just like the Jet 12X36 and many other lathes that size. I started out on a Jet with step pulleys. My work was just as good then as it is now but I had to work harder at it because of the quality of the machine. The better the machine the less skill/attention span required by the operator. I don't know if there's a difference but compare bearing quality when buying a machine in that price range.

Dave

I have the Birmingham 1440 and really like it. The question is who you are getting it from. Some of these places leave you high and dry once the deal is done.
---------------Jeff

I have ycl 1440 also for about 3 years now been great so far. I also have a customer that has a couple of the ycl units for about ten years. I bought mine on his recomendation. There are 3 levels of quality in the Birmingham line the ycl are the mid level units.

Jim,

are you still looking for a used lathe?

Ron

Ron,

Yes, I am still looking. I am at the point that I am going to get SOMETHING in the very near future (good or bad ;)).

Dave,

Thanks for the reinforcement that good work can be done with a less than ideal lathe. The one thing that I have plenty of is time to deal with a lesser machine. Skill, on the other hand, is in short supply in my shop :D.

Jeff and blades,

Thanks for the first hand input.

Jim

Birmingham 13X40

Hello Jim
I have a Birmingham 13X40 it works fine. It is not CNC, however you still can do good work with it. Keep looking you will fine one at some point. I found my lathe on Craigslist I did travel 400 miles when gas was cheaper however I had discuss a $ figure before leaving the house total price including fuel was $1900.00. It took me about 2 years to fine the deal that would work, no regrets yet.:D Chin-up and keep looking.

Hello Jim
I have a Birmingham 13X40 it works fine. It is not CNC, however you still can do good work with it. Keep looking you will fine one at some point. I found my lathe on Craigslist I did travel 400 miles when gas was cheaper however I had discuss a $ figure before leaving the house total price including fuel was $1900.00. It took me about 2 years to fine the deal that would work, no regrets yet.:D Chin-up and keep looking.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Last week I finally got a 220V line to the spot I have set aside for a lathe in my shop, so I am really anxious to get something in there ;). Maybe soon one will show up.

Jim

South Bend Heavy 10" Lathe

Jim,

Give me a call.

As I mentioned at PGC, I have an "extra" SB 10" with 4 1/2 foot bed, (Flame Hardened Ways).

The SB Heavy 10L has a 1 3/8" Spindle at the Headstock & mine has given me great accuracy. I have done all of my recent BR work and am pleased with results.

If this lathe is of no interest, glad to help in your search_ "-been there, done that" recently.

Thought Tom from VA had found you one when we were at MCC.

Bill Scheider

843-522-3651

I have a Birmingham YCL-1236GH lathe. I have been happy with it and would buy again. If you start looking close you will find the controls, shape of the tail stock, and other things looks just like a G4003. I thing they may be made at the same factory. I bought mine from Bills Tool Crib, http://www.billstoolcrib.com/

Bills tool crib is a retail outlet owned by the importer. Being local I picked mine up at the warehouse. I found Bills Tool Crib easy to work with.

Re; Birmingham lathe. I had a 1440 for about 4 years. A couple of things I had trouble with. The bronze worm gear that drives the carriage off the drive rod had no provision for lubrication. I was doiong light production work and wore out the gear in about a year. After that I would reach up behind the carriage with a finger full of moly grease and rub some on the gear. I did this every time I used the lathe and if turning all day I would do it twice a day. Another issue was that there is no reservoir of oil in the carriage. All you have is a couple of places to squirt oil through ball/spring oilers and after that gravity is all you have going for you. One can only hope the lube gets where it needs to be. The quick change gears only had a port where you squirted oil in onto a felt pad and hopefully it would leak through that to the gears for lube. I would rate the oiling system as poor at best.

I had no complaints with the accuracy, it was very good. Good accuracy, but it won't last because of the poor oiling system. I would suggest you look carefully at the lubing system on any lathe you buy.

I traded the Birmingham off on a 1960's Logan turret lathe, did some rebuilding on that and am very happy with that machine. Cut my machining time by about 35%, too. Good American iron is hard to find, most of it went to Mexico in the 90's. Too bad, it is still a good buy if you can find one in decent shape.

Re; Birmingham lathe. I had a 1440 for about 4 years. A couple of things I had trouble with. The bronze worm gear that drives the carriage off the drive rod had no provision for lubrication. I was doiong light production work and wore out the gear in about a year. After that I would reach up behind the carriage with a finger full of moly grease and rub some on the gear. I did this every time I used the lathe and if turning all day I would do it twice a day. Another issue was that there is no reservoir of oil in the carriage. All you have is a couple of places to squirt oil through ball/spring oilers and after that gravity is all you have going for you. One can only hope the lube gets where it needs to be. The quick change gears only had a port where you squirted oil in onto a felt pad and hopefully it would leak through that to the gears for lube. I would rate the oiling system as poor at best.

I had no complaints with the accuracy, it was very good. Good accuracy, but it won't last because of the poor oiling system. I would suggest you look carefully at the lubing system on any lathe you buy.

I traded the Birmingham off on a 1960's Logan turret lathe, did some rebuilding on that and am very happy with that machine. Cut my machining time by about 35%, too. Good American iron is hard to find, most of it went to Mexico in the 90's. Too bad, it is still a good buy if you can find one in decent shape.

Great information!!! This is the type of info I was hoping to for.

I have also considered a Precision Matthews 12x36, and it has an enclosed thread/feed (quick change) box with constant oil bath lubrication. It was not too much more than the Birmingham, and also comes with a work light, and a coolant system. In addition, it has a foot brake system. If quality is about the same, it looks to be a better value. Anyone had any experience with Precision Matthews lathes?

Thanks,
Jim

Great information!!! This is the type of info I was hoping to for.

I have also considered a Precision Matthews 12x36, and it has an enclosed thread/feed (quick change) box with constant oil bath lubrication. It was not too much more than the Birmingham, and also comes with a work light, and a coolant system. In addition, it has a foot brake system. If quality is about the same, it looks to be a better value. Anyone had any experience with Precision Matthews lathes?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, unless by some miracle I can find a suitable used machine in the next 30 days, I am going to buy a PM 1340(T) toolroom lathe. It is a Harrison M300 without the Harrison Name plate. Same factory, same machine and about $5000 cheaper than the Harrison. Have only heard bad things about one lathe and it sounds like the operator crashed the toolpost into the chuck and tore up a gear which later caused some additional problems. This was not on this model however.

Here is a link with a photo- scroll down to post #14.

Dennis

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=155746

Jim,

I recently took delivery of the Precision Mathews 14x40 (PM1440) lathe purchased from Quality Machine Tools in Pittsburgh. It has the collet closer and taper attachment standard, 3 and 4 jaw, and I purchased the DRO with it. A QCTP was included free at the time. I especially like the DRO, and recommend it for ease of use. I turned the face plate yesterday to true it, and plan on turning two cast brake rotors today, for my 1T dually. Then I'll make a threaded-on spider for the outboard spindle shaft. I purchased the lathe for personal gunsmithing and making one off motorcycle parts. Hopefully, next year, God willing, I might be shooting BR.

So far, I am very happy with it.

longshooter

Thanks for all the replies!!! I have pretty much decided to go with the Precision Matthews 12x36, unless something different comes out of the woodwork before tomorrow ;).

In my price range it came down to a decision of whether I wanted to go with a used lathe that might require more effort and expense than I could put into it, or a new lathe that might not be up to the same standards as the old US iron, but would be usable as it came from the box (hopefully). The tipping point was the warranty, plus parts availability, on the new machine. Hopefully I won't come to regret that decision :confused:.

Jim

Thanks for all the replies!!! I have pretty much decided to go with the Precision Matthews 12x36, unless something different comes out of the woodwork before tomorrow ;).

Jim

Well. I thought I was set with the Precision Matthews, but at the very last minute another opportunity came up, and now I am the "owner" of a supposedly very nice South Bend Heavy10. With my limited knowledge and experience, I may have waded too far into the deep end of the pool :eek:. I guess time, and the delivery truck, will tell. Maybe I didn't make too bad a mistake. I must admit that this was a bit of a rushed deal, and I didn't get to do as much research and due diligence as I would like, so I am more than a bit apprehensive ;). I really had NO IDEA that I would get this lathe until today, in case I didn't make that clear :D.

The bad news is that the quick change tool post was not included, and I will have to get a 4-jaw chuck. The good news is that it comes with an almost new (supposedly very expensive) 3-jaw, as well as the older 3-jaw.

I don't have the model and serial number info, but I am guessing from the photos that it may not be too early a vintage machine (at least from the cabinet style). If anyone has any info or comments(or event wild speculation), I would love to hear it.

Thanks for all the help and support.

Jim

59e7_1copy.jpg

5ac9_1copy.jpg

5a50_1copy.jpg

5b37_1copy.jpg

You came out way, way, WAY ahead.

A man can do some serious gunsmithing on a Heavy 10. One capability that you will have with that machine that you would not have had with the other is the ability to run a 5C collet settup. That, my friend, is a VERY handy option.

Post photos when you get your machine!

Clemson

The bad news is that the quick change tool post was not included, and I will have to get a 4-jaw chuck.

Jim

QUOTE]

Jim, looks like a good buy depending upon how much you paid for it.

You should not have any problems coming up with a quick change tooling assembly and 4 jaw, but it would have been much better if the seller had included those, some holders and inserts, since he already had that stuff and it was perfectly matched to the lathe. I understand some guys have other machines that they can transfer the stuff to, but I would have gone the extra mile to negotiate with the seller to get as much stuff that belongs to or is used with the lathe as possible, it can save you endless hours of leg work and money, which can be better spent running the machine.

Kind of like selling a BR gun without the trigger, makes me wonder why the guy is skimping, and hoping that it doesnt carry over into some more less obvious areas about the machine that could be more costly.

Anyways, everything will probably work out just fine, hope it is as good as it looks in the pictures...................Don

Back